BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2017 3:16 pm  #181

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

Liberty wrote:

Yes, I loved that bit!  What a surprise!  And you realise that some of Mycroft's supposed superiority is posturing.  Although I did think Mycroft was a sweetheart in this episode. 

I think Mycroft's reaction, last week, to lady Smallwood's flirtatious overture was a preview, a small crack in the Iceman's impenetrable shell.This week it shattered beyond repair and showed us his fears, and his great heart, in long protecting his parents and especially Sherlock, from the truth about Euros' existence.

January 16, 2017 3:22 pm  #182

I believe, he will rebuild his shield very fast. Especially at work.

January 16, 2017 4:26 pm  #183

gently69 wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

To me more than half of the episode was filler.....those little games seem to be only there to fill time. It didn't feel like we learned anything new or profound about any of the characters during it.

Sadly I have to agree. There were maybe a handful of scenes that touched me in one way or another. But is that enough for the so it seems final episode ever? Not for me.
After TLD I had hope. Now after Mary (why???) having the (very) last words I'm just sad and mostly disappointed.

Yes. I'm sitting here wondering how anyone got "joy" out of that thing last night. Huh. They must be wired differently from me. For me, I'm done with the writers' mind games. It's not fun anymore, not even a little. To me, if I see a red dog on the screen, it's a godda**ed dog, not some kind of symbol for a person, lurking in poor Sherlock's mind. If I have to sit and figure out every single little thing that's happening and analyze it, "Gee, it could be this, but no, it's probably THAT, but hey, what if it's not either?"  that to me is not entertainment, it's brain surgery. Not. Fun.

Just my take on it, as always.

January 16, 2017 4:30 pm  #184

But we weren't meant to guess that Redbeard was not a dog at all! I was horrified by this rug pull but it's the only thing I really never saw coming so I enjoyed it too.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 16, 2017 4:38 pm  #185

SolarSystem wrote:

I am aware that this is a fan forum, and believe me: I am a fan of this show just like everybody else. I am not writing nasty messages to anyone. Just like a lot of other fans who are disappointed, I am writing here about my disappointment because I have been writing on this forum for over three years now. Because I love the show. And because that makes it even harder to admit to myself that S4 didn't really work for me, TLD being the huge exception. Yes, believe it or not, I think TLD was great. But for me TFP wasn't. So am I only allowed to talk about TLD on this forum now?
Seriously. this has nothing to do with loyalty. Loyalty for loyalty's sake is a bit ridiculous, if you ask me.And it has nothing to do with my expectations or what I wanted the writers to give to me. I has to do with what I see when I watch the episodes. Pure and simple.
And if people on tumblr are behaving nasty, then go to tumblr and tell them and don't bring this over here to this forum. I have only read opinions here, no nasty comments. 

Hear hear!!  Well said. Thanks, Solar.

January 16, 2017 4:39 pm  #186

Playing the violin was always a comfort for Sherlock [and we didn't see him play at all the first 2 episodes]. It passed the time, and was a comfort, for Euros, in her long imprisonment. it was so fitting to see both she and Sherlock playing together at the end, for their mutual enjoyment , a kind of healing for both. 

January 16, 2017 4:45 pm  #187

Swanpride wrote:

*sigh* honestly, this was bad enough when I liked the addition of Mary and everyone else didn't. Now I didn't like something about the show for a change (I seem to be always out of step with the majority here when it comes to stuff like this), and I have to walking around on eggshells over here because of something some people on tumblr apparently did. Or whatever. It really takes the fun out of things.....

No eggshells!  Ignore the eggshells!  lol  I love this forum, the people here have been nothing but kind to me, even when the mods had to tell me (politely) to shut the F up already a couple of times. I've posted 1000s of times, and have always found this a safe place.

But this final (?) season is not made of stuff that invites neutrality.  Love it or hate it, I don't think there will be many in between. It was......  different.

I hope you don't continue to feel as though you need to measure your words. My understand is that here on the forum, as long as individuals are not flamed, all opinions are welcome. Goodness, aren't we all adults?

Apologies that this is off topic.

Peace.  xx oo

January 16, 2017 4:46 pm  #188

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I think this episode is the perfect way to end "Sherlock."  The postscript by Mary really made it seem like it was the end of the show, to me anyway.  And while I wish the series could go on and on, I really don't see how it can, not after this particular episode.  This wrapped everything up very nicely -- I loved how Lestrade said Sherlock wasn't a great man but he was a good man -- and I think anything that came after this would kind of be a letdown because this episode was so deep, so heart-pounding, so traumatic, so revealing.  As a result of what he experienced in this episode, as well as everything that has happened before, Sherlock is human now (so is Mycroft) and I don't think there's any more character development left to do.  While it would certainly be fun to see Sherlock and John do more detecting, I don't actually need to see it.  I'm satisfied with the series as it is and I think it's completed its story-telling arc.

Thank you Sherli, you are describing exactly how I feel about the end of this episode/series 4/the whole series.

I was terrified that TFP might end in an incomplete way, left things in the open or wouldn't have a proper ending at all. I'm so happy that my fears didn't came true. This was just the end, I hoped for. When the end credits began I was crying but ridiculously grinning at the same time. The end was perfect for me and in a way, I'm able to let the series go now and to acccept that this is it.

Needless to say that I loved the episode. As many have already said, it was a rollercoaster, to whole series was.
But I also understand and feel sorry for those who didn't enjoy it. I had my difficulties with last week's episode so I can comprehend the feeling of being disappointed about certain plot points. I don't know why, but I was able to overlook plot holes or inconsistencies much more as in TLD. Maybe it was because of this overall surreal feeling of the episode.

At the moment I'm still overwhelmed and happy but I might add some more coherent thoughts soon, hopefully after I rewatched the episode in the next few days.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 16, 2017 4:47 pm  #189

gently69 wrote:

Discussions only between fans who have the same opinion? That isn't an exchange of pros and cons then... which is the meaning of a discussion for me. 

Yes.

January 16, 2017 5:02 pm  #190

Harobed wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

I have drank an entire bottle of wine and I am having hot flashes.
I am hearbroken and overjoyed at the same time.
We had tragedy and pain but were left with hope.
I can't think straight but after being so nervous and upset before seeing TFP for myself all I can do is keep repeating I LOVED IT!!!!!!

Okay now, people are going to accuse me of not being capable of having an original thought AND plagiarism, haha since, once again, YOU my dear put my same feelings to print also! Including the bottle of wine: (Merlot) ~ what was yours?

LOL  No worries dear.  Great minds and all that.  

My beverage of choice was a nice crisp peach moscato.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2017 5:04 pm  #191

Just a quick post to share my opinion about TFP. I will say more once I've seen it a second time with subtitles.
In a word : I LOVED IT !! I think it is maybe the best episode ever ! I loved everything, and especially Mycroft ! So much screen time ! I'm happy ! And the umbrella turned sword turned gun, I can't even begin to explain how awesome it was !! 
It seems that, if it is indeed the last episode ever, the end is very fitting, I can't wait to rewatch it ! 

Last edited by Pops (January 16, 2017 5:05 pm)

January 16, 2017 5:13 pm  #192

Liberty wrote:

Mod note: My feeling is that this thread is for first impressions of TFP, which includes both negative and positive first impressions.  Everybody can post their first impression, positive or negative, and shouldn't need to defend it.

I'm aware that there is unpleasantness on other sites, so I think we need to make an effort to not let it seep over here, and to keep this as our safe place.  It's difficult to come here full of enthusiasm for what might be the last episode, to find people tearing it to pieces.  And it's also difficult to have anticipated this episode for years and feel that you should love it, only to be disappointed and feel let down.  It's a divisive episode, and it's easy for both sides to feel hurt because our views don't coincide.  We have to come to terms with that. 

I see that a couple of people have started threads for negative opinions about TFP, and those might be good places to vent for those who were disappointed, after our initial discussion here.

Thank you all for being polite and respectful to each other.

Well said Liberty.  Thank you for stepping up with that.   As a mod and a member I too insist that all opinions are valid.  As long as we are polite and kind to each other, as we always have been, that's the important thing.  Right now I have decided to avoid most other discussion sites.  This is my fandom home and I am proud to be a part of it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2017 5:30 pm  #193

Just watched it for the second time now, and it just strengthened my earlier view - absolutely loved it! There was so much that came together. I think the mind games with Eurus was amazing in it's horror, I thought it was great to see the boys in such a new and extreme situation - and I loved that Mycroft was there with them.

I do agree that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar - or should be, at least. (Tell that to those who interpret beverages and clothes as signs of sexual orientation ;) ).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 5:49 pm  #194

I just watched it a second time, this time with subtitles (thank goodness, because this time the stupid neighbour decided on drilling holes in the wall for 30 minutes!)

And I loved it. Absolutely! I always like the first rewatch; cathing the little extra details (not to mention the subtitles...) but really. 

I think that's a big part of my love for the show. The details... thinking to yourself "How did I miss that!! I'm supposed to be clever" lol. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 16, 2017 7:33 pm  #195

NoShipSherlock wrote:

Not sure how to feel about this episode. I was absolutely caught up and riveted by the psychological torture [...]
It was effective at creating tension and messing with my emotions.
But, the whole episode had a weird unreal quality. It has always been fantasy to some degree, but this was a little over the top.
I like the ambiguous end and the fact that they are back together at Baker Street, but I would have preferred that the events seemed more real and that we would have gotten more interaction with the main characters--Lestrade, Molly, Mrs. Hudson--which is what sparked my interest in the first place.

I think it could have been better, and I liked it less than LTD, but, it is what it is, and I'll take it.

Thoughtful words! I agree very much.

So... after my first unqualified post yesterday

Rache wrote:

Nope
nope nope
I'm so done now.

It will take time to order my thoughts. This was a hellish ride, an episode that will not be easy to rewatch

I had a night's sleep and a long day to order my thoughts, here they are.

First of all, let me tell you that I fell into an uneasy and troubled sleep yesterday after my brain felt like pudding and having been flooded with emotions.

I think I loved (or maybe I "only" lliked, still not sure) the episode (Not as much as ASiB for example, but ASiB has always been the crown of perfection to me, very closely followed by others) but I'm not sure if I will still love TFP if I ever watch it a second time. It worked for me because I had genuine, honest fear for what was about to happen to our characters. Now that I know they will all be "fine", I fear the ep might lose its impact/the reason why it is interesting.
But still, the episode altogether did, what I expected it to do: provoke genuine emotions. I was so scared that it could be like with T6T: I felt so cold and unmoved by nearly everything what was going on. Luckily not so with TFP!  Overall I was even more an emotional mess than I was in TLD. Although TLD still remains the better episode.

I definitely like the psychological torture of this episode. It is a good thing that I like those dark things I guess.

I only have two major complaints, but those really are two things I have the greatest regrets about:
1)
We did see it coming, at the latest by the end of TLD, but Euros being the "super-villain" all the time, came from just too much out of nowhere for me. This upsy-daisy, we are supposed to believe there is a secret mad sister all of a sudden now, haha... Although the story behind it was touching, but it was too cheap and too much chliché for me. She is supposed to be the solution to Sherlock's (and Mycroft's) humanisation, but frankly made her appearence only in the very last episode.
2) (Like NoShipSherlock already said)
While I like the mind games and dark themes, I would have preferred it to play in a more "normal" setting around the characters and places we know and love from the beginning, if this is supposed to be the end. I missed Lestrade, Molly, 221B and London. It would have been nice for the final plot to resolve around this, back to the roots... It felt so slightly off, surreal with this whole island/maze of torture, in short: not "Sherlocky". I think you all know what I mean, even if you loved the ep to bits.

As TFP is in so many points so much different (not better, not worse, I really mean different!!!) from ALL other Sherlock episodes, I think from now on I will call this episode "the other one." ;)

p.s. halfway through the episode when the redbeard thing started to be revealed, I thought they were heading for an explanation that would have worked better altogether with the character of Euros and how she became what she is. Because I still find it hard to buy, that she went mad, because she had noone to play with. o.O I expected they tell us that Sherlock as a boy acidentally killed Redbeard and Euros had witnessed it, got traumatized. Scared by Sherlock and by the things he was able to do. Hence the wish to kill him and get rid of him, burn him and burn the house.

Last edited by Rache (January 16, 2017 7:59 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 16, 2017 7:56 pm  #196

Okay I have only just got to a point where I can actually start through other peoples posts and responding to them...though I am hoping for a second view tonight.
-yes the whole season has been fast and furious.  They had a lot to fit in.  But I disagree about their being no breathers, there were some fabulous moments of humour...apart from the beautiful touching scenes.
-CS was a fine baddie for S 4.  But they had to round off the Moriarty story.  At least he was dead.
-I didn't want Irene again, either.  But she is obviously important to Sherlock and we just have to accept that.
-Yes Mary appeared strongly, too.  But she was important to both John and Sherlock and at the end of the day this is Mark and Steven's vision. Whether we like it or not.  Well John and Sherlock are obviously happy being Mary's boys.  It's all about them and not us.
-ok I confess I have missed Sherlock's text or didn't realise it's significance...but he will not be propositioning John, that's for sure.
- I don't understand the issue with Molly?  That was a beautiful scene.
- I actually don't understand the issue with Euros, either.  She wasn't behind everything, as in all of the crimes.
-I think some of it was meant to be ridiculous:  like the jump out of the window...have people had humour bypasses?!
-John still has his wedding ring on?  Of course, he still loves Mary
-on the horror thing:  I don't watch them as I don't like them.  But I loved this, so it worked for me.
- parentlock.  Very cute.  But it's not parentlock.  It's Daddy and his best friend. John still seems to have his own house.
-How the feck did I MISS Paul Weller? I love him!
-Mystrade?  Where.  Sherlock asks Greg to take care of Mycroft, I was actually a bit concerned for Mycroft's health after this.
-Mark and Steven love Molly, that's why they keep giving her lovely scenes.  But Sherlock is not in love with her, simple as.  She is a good friend.  She got off lightly!
-Well I thought the Euros game was brilliantly clever and very nearly succeeded in doing what she desired: break Sherlock.
- I have to speak up for Sian.  I thought she made  a fantastic job of a complex character. I thought the mind control thing was great. She was seriously disturbed and sadly that often involves sexual offences.
- Moriarty was dead and buried at the end of S 2, I certainly did not object to all of the fabulous flashbacks.
-I loved S 3, but this was better.
- I didn't ever see Sherlock being shown as the most stupid in the room.
-Well all the loose ends were tied up for me and I haven't seen any new ones!
-it's TV for goodness sake...of course it's fantastical.
-Can I remind people:  Mark and Steven owe us nothing.  This is their show which they make for themselves.  I love it.
-That's all for now, I've caught up to where I posted this morning  at least...more later.
-Oh and I still think it's all over.
-I don't know if I'm in the minority for loving this episode or not and frankly I don't care. I've spent the whole of my Sherlock life in the minority, as a non-John;ocker.  Welcome to my world!
-I like my fora to be both engaging and wacky!
-

Last edited by besleybean (January 16, 2017 8:25 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2017 8:24 pm  #197

I wholeheartedly agree with you, besley! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 16, 2017 8:47 pm  #198

besleybean wrote:

Okay I have only just got to a point where I can actually start through other peoples posts and responding to them...though I am hoping for a second view tonight.
-yes the whole season has been fast and furious.  They had a lot to fit in.  But I disagree about their being no breathers, there were some fabulous moments of humour...apart from the beautiful touching scenes.
-CS was a fine baddie for S 4.  But they had to round off the Moriarty story.  At least he was dead.
-I didn't want Irene again, either.  But she is obviously important to Sherlock and we just have to accept that.
-Yes Mary appeared strongly, too.  But she was important to both John and Sherlock and at the end of the day this is Mark and Steven's vision. Whether we like it or not.  Well John and Sherlock are obviously happy being Mary's boys.  It's all about them and not us.
-ok I confess I have missed Sherlock's text or didn't realise it's significance...but he will not be propositioning John, that's for sure.
- I don't understand the issue with Molly?  That was a beautiful scene.
- I actually don't understand the issue with Euros, either.  She wasn't behind everything, as in all of the crimes.
-I think some of it was meant to be ridiculous:  like the jump out of the window...have people had humour bypasses?!
-John still has his wedding ring on?  Of course, he still loves Mary
-on the horror thing:  I don't watch them as I don't like them.  But I loved this, so it worked for me.
- parentlock.  Very cute.  But it's not parentlock.  It's Daddy and his best friend. John still seems to have his own house.
-How the feck did I MISS Paul Weller? I love him!
-Mystrade?  Where.  Sherlock asks Greg to take care of Mycroft, I was actually a bit concerned for Mycroft's health after this.
-Mark and Steven love Molly, that's why they keep giving her lovely scenes.  But Sherlock is not in love with her, simple as.  She is a good friend.  She got off lightly!
-Well I thought the Euros game was brilliantly clever and very nearly succeeded in doing what she desired: break Sherlock.
- I have to speak up for Sian.  I thought she made  a fantastic job of a complex character. I thought the mind control thing was great. She was seriously disturbed and sadly that often involves sexual offences.
- Moriarty was dead and buried at the end of S 2, I certainly did not object to all of the fabulous flashbacks.
-I loved S 3, but this was better.
- I didn't ever see Sherlock being shown as the most stupid in the room.
-Well all the loose ends were tied up for me and I haven't seen any new ones!
-it's TV for goodness sake...of course it's fantastical.
-Can I remind people:  Mark and Steven owe us nothing.  This is their show which they make for themselves.  I love it.
-That's all for now, I've caught up to where I posted this morning  at least...more later.
-Oh and I still think it's all over.
-I don't know if I'm in the minority for loving this episode or not and frankly I don't care. I've spent the whole of my Sherlock life in the minority, as a non-John;ocker.  Welcome to my world!
-I like my fora to be both engaging and wacky!
-

Couldn't agree more in so many aspects of this! I overall loved the episode and don't see many of the problems others have pointed out.

In the end, we all love Sherlock (that is why we are here) and we are all part of the fandom, arguing with each other is pointless.

January 16, 2017 9:24 pm  #199

There are quite a few of us who loved it, I think maybe some who liked it better on second viewing too. 

January 16, 2017 10:06 pm  #200

Nearly 24 hours later, I'm stil quite shocked. As Rache said, I had an uneasy sleep yesterday night too. I felt mind-blowed, every image kept showing behind my eyelids and didn't allow me to sleep well. I still need a rewatch (I usually watch the episodes in English first, then dubbed into Spanish to fully understand every plot and then again in English with subtitles, to take in all the details). I'm afraid of watching it in Spanish, because I know I'm going to understand and see so many new things that will break my heart completely. I'm a bit like Sherlock and Mycroft here: I'm afraid of emotions. 

I understood this last episode as a metaphor (yes, metaphors and I). I think everthing they wrote is kind of real and mindpalace at the same time. It's real, because we haven't been said it isn't, but it's mindpalace because all the puzzles, riddles and decisions are so full of twists, memories, and faintings that the fight might very well be a mind thing (in the last Harry Potter, Harry asks Dumbledore whether a conversation they're keeping inside Harry's mind is real or not, and Dumbledore says mind conversations doesn't mean they aren't real). That room outside the Holmes' house, the whole plane thing... look pretty mindpalace as well as reality. So I want to see the episode as an allegory of what's happening inside the characters' hearts.

Regarding to Moriarty, it was nice to see him again. What a glorious entrance! 'I want to break free', haha. What a diva he is. However, I expected something else. I would like to think that the whole Moriarty thing isn't over yet, because I think Mofftiss cheated a little. When they orchestrated TAB, they showed us that people could sacrifice themselves for a cause. Poor Emelia Ricoletti used her death as a blow of effect, because she and her fellow fighters (women) had a strong idea to stand for. Then all the women kept disguising as brides to go on with the idea of an existing avenger for mistreated women. YOU CAN'T KILL AN IDEA. After watching this, I thought maybe Mofftiss were trying to make us see that Moriarty was actually an idea, the idea of evil, of criminality, as if Moriarty was some sort of organization. I might have read too much into it, but I was convinced. The fact of Moriarty being Eurus' "puppet" disturbed me a little.

Then, though this episode wasn't really my favourite ever, I must say I mostly liked it, and I would like to see more of the Baker Street Boys. I'm very grateful for the show, I've spent a lot of time thinking and loving it, and I give all the credit for it to Sue Vertue, Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss, the whole crew and the cast, Benedict, Martin... all of them. I can say this TV show has been my favourite one ever, and I will always be in love with it. This last episode might be a little non 'Sherlock', but, as time passes, I think we'll remember the general idea of it and it will always be great, amazing and affectionate in the end.

Last edited by NicoleCollard (January 16, 2017 11:09 pm)

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera