BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 6:20 pm  #1

Mycroft and Lady Smallwood

So, we knew Mycroft is not a virgin, but I have to say him being paired off had me by surprise. 

While I have to say, I do not buy Mycroft getting himself into an actual relationship, Lady Smallwood is as close to an equal to him than we have seen so far.

So what was this? A one-time "making it up" to a wronged colleague? A little office-romance? Or did Mycroft Holmes just got himself a (seemingly highly capable) goldfish?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 9, 2017 6:41 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft and Lady Smallwood

It could be the highly capable goldfish angle.  I do like Lady Smallwood and don't see her as a potential threat in the next episode.  But Mycroft's hesitation to pick up her card with the number before finally doing so was so like John with bus lady note.  Now wondering if it is all that it seems on the surface.....

While my head canon prefers to picture Mycroft as perpetually "alone" or perhaps gay, and I really wanted to see him walk out the door without going back for the number, I do think it would be quite a lovely match should it happen. .  Both the Holmes boys are learning to care it seems.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 9, 2017 6:44 pm  #3

I don't like it because I'm a Mystrade shipper at heart ! 

I admit, it is my only reason for wanting Lady Smallwood as far as possible from Mycroft ! 

January 9, 2017 6:50 pm  #4

Yes, well, oddly, it's the Iceman who seems to be the most sexually experienced of the two brothers.   I had him head-canoned as gay, but we haven't seen anything definite.   I said somewhere on another thread that I'm a little surprised at Lady Smallwood, given that she lost her dear husband recently, and that she seems quite careful about work relations, etc.  But I also admire her a little for going for it.  We'll see. It might have been just to fit in with the theme of loving while you can (as John urges Sherlock to do).  Which I hope isn't ominous for Mycroft. 

One of my wishes (that I haven't expected to come true) is for Mycroft to lose the Iceman facade and be overtaken by temptation and passion.  So I'd kind of like to see it, actually.  And in some ways, they're quite a good match.

January 9, 2017 6:52 pm  #5

I don't like it either. They spent all that time establishing Mycroft as the "Caring is not an advantage"/ "Iceman" counterpart to Sherlock exploring his emotions. And when finally Sherlock has something Mycroft is not capable of/ does not want... Mycroft gets it, too, just because a colleague hit on him. Because that is all it takes to make him contemplate romance.

I like Lady Smallwood. But why can't there be a strong female character that is not paired of or in love with one of male protagonists?

It feels forced to me. We are nearing the end of the series and Greg gets his forensic officer, Sherlock (kind of) gets Irene, John had Mary and has Rosie... now only Molly needs a boyfriend and everyone is paired off in a nice heterosexual relationship. Happy ever after -.-

"It takes very special qualities to devote one's life to problems with no attainable solutions and to poking around in dead people's garbage: Words like 'masochistic', 'nosy,' and 'completely batty' spring to mind."
Paul Bahn. 1989. Bluff Your Way in Archaeology.

January 9, 2017 7:13 pm  #6

I have to say I would prefer for Mycroft to not go for it. Just because I think he is an important reminder of how Sherlock could be. Mycroft is the more extreme version of Sherlock in many ways: more intelligent, more powerful, but also more isolated. And I kind of like that.

That is to say, I find the implications hilarious. Since when did Lady Smallwood had "the hots" for Mycroft? Or does he have a bit of a reputation in certain circles? 

If we are going to get political here: can I just say that I love the fact that he is apparently at least contemplating going for a woman 16 year his senior. Quite refreshing.

Last edited by Lola Red (January 9, 2017 7:19 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 9, 2017 7:18 pm  #7

Liberty wrote:

Yes, well, oddly, it's the Iceman who seems to be the most sexually experienced of the two brothers.   I had him head-canoned as gay, but we haven't seen anything definite. 

Well, we knew he was more experienced than Sherlock, otherwise he would hardly taunt him on that regard, but my head canon said the same, although in all fairness, we had nothing else to go on until yesterday. 

January 9, 2017 7:33 pm  #8

Yes, it's lovely to see the Iceman thaw a bit...

January 9, 2017 7:44 pm  #9

Lola Red wrote:

I have to say I would prefer for Mycroft to not go for it. Just because I think he is an important reminder of how Sherlock could be. Mycroft is the more extreme version of Sherlock in many ways: more intelligent, more powerful, but also more isolated. And I kind of like that.

That is to say, I find the implications hilarious. Since when did Lady Smallwood had "the hots" for Mycroft? Or does he have a bit of a reputation in certain circles? 

If we are going to get political here: can I just say that I love the fact that he is apparently at least contemplating going for a woman 16 year his senior. Quite refreshing.

I agree!    I do think Lady Smallwood is stunning, though. 

I think being a bit isolated and shutting out human feelings and romance doesn't have to preclude sex completely.  I mean, if Mycroft was so anti it, he wouldn't be notably more experienced than Sherlock.  I'm actually quite intrigued by this.  Also wondered if it was just power play on Lady Smallwood's part, to unsettle him. 

Last edited by Liberty (January 11, 2017 7:39 pm)

January 9, 2017 7:55 pm  #10

You are quite right. I never quite expected Mycroft to go into the emotional realm of "lovemaking" I always thought thought he would appreciate the physiological advantages. But I kind of like the idea of Lady Smallwood flirting with him to see if she can crack his façade a bit, he seems wonderfully befuddled when she asks him out.

January 9, 2017 7:59 pm  #11

I too am intrigued by this development! I am afraid however that Mycroft will be taught a lesson: it looks like Eurus has escaped on his watch while he's been melting away in Lady Smallwood's presense.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 9, 2017 8:28 pm  #12

I think that Mycroft was intrigued by Lady S proposition because it never happened to him before. And it was hilarious to observe him being tempted suddenly.... I don´t think this will change his character much, so no big deal - still, this scene was quite funny. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 9, 2017 8:53 pm  #13

Maybe she just wants Mycroft to know there's no hard feelings for his having had her interrogated in the 6 Thatchers.....and maybe something more....

January 11, 2017 7:25 pm  #14

We all knew that Mycroft wasn't a virgin. He's also clearly comfortable with his sexuality and knows how to separate sex from love, unlike Sherlock - the virgin. Even though he has borderline superhuman intelligence, like any other man he also has temptations.

My only problem with the Lady Smallwood and Mycroft pairing is that I was expecting him to go for a woman his age or younger. No offence, but isn't Lady Smallwood a bit too old for him? 16 years his senior... yikes.
In my head-canon, it'll always be Rosamund Pike playing Mycroft's lover. #otp

January 11, 2017 7:33 pm  #15

meowraahsan wrote:

We all knew that Mycroft wasn't a virgin. He's also clearly comfortable with his sexuality and knows how to separate sex from love, unlike Sherlock - the virgin. Even though he has borderline superhuman intelligence, like any other man he also has temptations.

My only problem with the Lady Smallwood and Mycroft pairing is that I was expecting him to go for a woman his age or younger. No offence, but isn't Lady Smallwood a bit too old for him? 16 years his senior... yikes.
In my head-canon, it'll always be Rosamund Pike playing Mycroft's lover. #otp

If their genders were reversed nobody would mind the 16 years...

I would expect Mycroft to be attracted by intelligence rather than looks (if he is attracted by anything). And in that respect Lady Smallwood fits very well.
I just wouldn't like it if they pursued the romance angle... it took so long for Sherlock to come to terms with his emotions and now Mycrofts suddenly gets hit on and reconsiders the whole "Caring is not an advantage"-thing in a matter of seconds?

"It takes very special qualities to devote one's life to problems with no attainable solutions and to poking around in dead people's garbage: Words like 'masochistic', 'nosy,' and 'completely batty' spring to mind."
Paul Bahn. 1989. Bluff Your Way in Archaeology.

January 11, 2017 7:39 pm  #16

I'll remove my comment, then if people disapprove.  I suppose I was opening myself up for criticism putting it out there!  (And I agree, Icheumon, I don't think people bat an eye so much if the genders are reversed).  

I wonder if Mycroft/Smallwood is just to fit in with what John says about grasping love and romance while you can.   I was thinking it didn't make much sense because she was recently bereaved, but maybe that's the whole point. 

January 11, 2017 7:53 pm  #17

I can't see Mycroft being interested in a nymphet slip of a girl so I was pleasantly surprised about the little twist with Lady Smallwood (and also happy to see more of her!).

-----

January 11, 2017 9:47 pm  #18

I laughed and stared open-mouthed at the screen when Lady Smallwood complained to Mycroft about her arrest in the previous episode and Mycroft asked her how he could make her up. Then they cut to Eurus/Faith saying "Sex" right away! She was asking Sherlock how he deduced the lack of sex between her and her boyfriend. I didn't really pay attention to that until I saw Mycroft and Lady Smallwood putting on their coats in Mycroft's dungeon/office later. Hahahahaha. Then I thought dirty things.

Last edited by NicoleCollard (January 11, 2017 10:38 pm)

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 11, 2017 10:16 pm  #19

NicoleCollard wrote:

I laughed and stared open-mouthed at the screen when Lady Smallwood complained to Mycroft about her arrest in the previous episode and Mycroft asked her how he could make her up. Then they cut to Eurus/Faith saying "Sex" right away! She was asking Sherlock how he deduced the lack of sex between her and her boyfriend. I didn't really pay attention to that until I saw Mycroft and Lady Smallwood putting on their coats on Mycroft dungeon/office later. Hahahahaha. Then I thought dirty things.

And I thought what kind of a prank Mark had to pull on Steven to be featured so memorably in retaliation! I think it was only Molly Hooper getting some actual sex on the show so far (well, and the married ones). How could we have known she'd be joined by Mycroft the Iceman in the end! Now that's what I call a rug pull

-----

January 11, 2017 10:53 pm  #20

haha, I cannot wait for someone to ask them about that on a panel

Board footera