BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2013 7:56 am  #1

Putin's anti-gay purge

Today Mr Gatiss retweeted a comment about yesterday's article at animalnewyork.com.

The headline reads: Olympic Athletes will be" held accountable" for gaying it up.

You can read the article here:
http://animalnewyork.com/2013/olympic-athletes-will-be-held-accountable-for-gaying-it-up-says-russian-sports-minister/?
utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer4b762&utm_medium=twitter

It's a shame.Think twice before you visit the Olympics when you are an open minded person who supports gay marriage or when you are just a tolerant human being who thinks that everybody has the right to live his/her own dream whatever it is as long as nobody is harmed.
Otherwise you might get arrested when you say that out loud.

August 2, 2013 8:14 am  #2

Re: Putin's anti-gay purge

An issue that needs to be brought up again and again.
Thanks, Be

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 2, 2013 8:40 am  #3

It's an absolute diagrace, civilised societies shouls always uphold all human rights.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 2, 2013 8:49 am  #4

It's bitter to see how the Russian government presents itself as a fighter for democracy by granting  asylum to Edward Snowden while on the other hand passing such disgusting laws. For me it shows how complicated the world really is and how difficult it is to decide moral issues. 
It is a sad fact that again and again countries are given the opportunity to present themselves internationally, e.g. at the Olympics or other big sports events, while applying deeply inhuman laws and procedures. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 2, 2013 9:54 am  #5

it doesn't really surprise me: homophobia , even if it's a little more hidden, is ever present in our societies
it's sad

---------------------------------------
Enjoy the silence
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

August 2, 2013 10:04 am  #6

Yes, but it is the duty of the state legislature to rule against it, as much as possible.
You won't always change attitudes, but we can certainly not allow those attitudes to prevail.

Last edited by besleybean (August 2, 2013 1:03 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 2, 2013 12:48 pm  #7

Finally, it's all about the states' sheer greed for power over other countries, even their own people. Inducing fear in people who don't "fit in" in one way or the other has always been an appropriate tool to prevent upcoming resistance against any existing injustice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 2, 2013 5:50 pm  #8

Frankly, I was shocked when I learned about the prohibition about practising homosexuality in publicity, to be more accurate, in front of children. Especially children should learn to accept and tolerate individuality from early age.

Well, the news about the Olympics is another shock but not really suprising. It was the next "logical" step. Please, someone stop them?

Last edited by Mary Me (August 2, 2013 6:17 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

August 2, 2013 6:14 pm  #9

It's the Russian public who is supposed to vote for the right person. I am fairly convinced that there is not much for us to do, except to speak our mind publicly. And talk about tolerance and human rights. Which we do here.

August 2, 2013 9:41 pm  #10

We've come so far and yet still have so far to go.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 3, 2013 9:50 pm  #11

tonnaree wrote:

We've come so far and yet still have so far to go.

You said it.     Still makes so sad sometimes how it's more important to some people to push this kind of thing or spread hate instead of trying to help things get better as far as basic needs in the world go...

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 7, 2013 11:41 am  #12

Stephen Fry's open letter to David Cameron and the IOC about the anti-gay legislation in Russia and the Olympics. I was already tempted to compare the current affair with the Olympics in Berlin 1936, but comparisons are always problematic because of the unique situation in Germany back then.
Being neither gay nor Jewish, but German I also felt that it is not me to talk about that. Stephen Fry did.

http://www.stephenfry.com/2013/08/07/an-open-letter-to-david-cameron-and-the-ioc/

Last edited by Be (August 7, 2013 11:52 am)

August 7, 2013 11:42 am  #13

Good ole Stephen.

August 7, 2013 12:13 pm  #14

Very impressive letter, shared it already on FB. I really like his courage!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

August 7, 2013 6:31 pm  #15

It's on Yahoo! News as well, but some of the comments are horrible

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/winter-sports-fry-calls-ioc-strip-russia-2014-133324076.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

August 7, 2013 6:33 pm  #16

Some of those comments are just pure ignorance.

August 20, 2013 11:04 am  #17

Konstantin Yablotskyi, a gay Russian sportsman, about ths situation in Russia, the Olympics and possible plans to demonstrate during the opening ceremony.
http://www.zeit.de/sport/2013-08/homosexuell-sportler-sotschi-aktivist-russland (it's German, sorry)

August 20, 2013 5:24 pm  #18

Yesterday I saw on tv that in Russia it's forbidden to talk positively over homosexuality.
And some extremists allured homosexual teenagers by faked advertisments and punished them. The reporter said this way they drive them to suicide.

Strange: Our foreign minister doesn't want anything to be done against the Olympics.
He's gay. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 20, 2013 8:16 pm  #19

Tom Hiddlestone has made a fantastic advert about such events. Russia is certainly not the only country that acts like this. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 20, 2013 8:17 pm  #20

Yep, I love Tom's docu-ad.

Board footera