BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2013 4:20 pm  #1

A question about....grammar? culture?

Sorry, I'm not sure if it is okay to post the question here. I got a question when I read this article:  How Tim from The Office found real love: Amanda Abbington on life with Martin Freeman

Because English is not my mother tongue, I don't quite get the meaning of what Martin said, "You left and I wasn't done flirting with you. That's a bit rude."

Who's rude? Martin himself? Or he jokingly accused Amanda of leaving early?

-------------------------------------------------
--------
“Why,” said I, glancing up at my companion, “that was surely the bell? Who could come to-night? Some friends of yours, perhaps?”

“Except yourself I have none,” he answered.

—Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Five Orange PipsThe Adventures of Sherlock Holms

July 1, 2013 4:34 pm  #2

Re: A question about....grammar? culture?

It was a joke.  Normally, saying something like that would mean you were offended by it ("you left before I was done"), but since he said "you left before I was done flirting with you", it means that he's saying "I want to keep flirting with you"- IE: a joke ;)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 1, 2013 9:11 pm  #3

It is a flirtatious joke.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 2, 2013 1:14 am  #4

Thanks. I know it is a joke. That's why Martin is soooo adorable. 

I just want to make sure that when people say "That's a bit rude," usually means "That's a bit rude of you." (According to sj4iy)

Do I get it right? 

--------
“Why,” said I, glancing up at my companion, “that was surely the bell? Who could come to-night? Some friends of yours, perhaps?”

July 2, 2013 2:10 am  #5

Not necessarily. It depends on what the "That" refers to. In this context "That" meaning "you left early" so in this case yes he's saying "That's a bit rude of you". But in another context you might be referring to a third person who just let the door slam in your face in which case it would be "That's a bit rude of them".

ETA: Or you might refer to graffiti on a wall as "That's a bit rude" in which case there's no addendum; and 'that' refers to the graffiti

Last edited by Wholocked (July 2, 2013 2:11 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

July 2, 2013 6:35 am  #6

Thank you, Wholocked. I got it! 
(...but what does "ETA" here stand for? estimated time of arrival? )

--------

July 2, 2013 4:31 pm  #7

Shell wrote:

Thank you, Wholocked. I got it! 
(...but what does "ETA" here stand for? estimated time of arrival? )

Heh...  usually it does!  But in their context, knowing abbreviations that tend to be used on the internet and that they tinkered with their response, I believe the other acronym is Edited To Add.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 2, 2013 5:48 pm  #8

Thank you, Russell. 

--------

Board footera