BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2013 5:05 pm  #641

Re: Free Rants

My Internet connection keeps playing up today! Grrrr!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2013 6:23 am  #642

My rant, not directed at anybody here.
And since I'm not sure what the rules are on swearing here, I'll refrain from entire words, but I'm sure it'll be fairly obvious.

Holy mother of f. Stop being so f-ing negative! It's driving me insane.
You're supposed to be a 'support group' and yet it seems you're just a bunch of bored housewives/husbands who sit around the house all day, whining and moaning and feeling sorry for yourself.

Boo hoo, my leg hurts, boo hoo, I can't walk, boo hoo, my life is so hard, boo hoo, my friends don't come to see me as much as they should, boo hoo, I can't sleep even though I don't try anything to actually help me, boo hoo, I have *another* infection, despite not being overly careful in the first place, or watching what you eat or making sure you're getting the correct vitamins and minerals for your immune system and to aid bone growth. Boo friggedty hoo! Harden the f up and stop whinging.

Does it even comprehend for you that maybe - just *maybe* - the power of your own mind is what is making your recovery process so damned hard in the first place? Don't tell me I don't know what it's like, I'm going through the same damned thing you are - I haven't been able to walk since February myself, and yet do you hear me whinging about how difficult my life is, or wallowing in a pit of self-pity?

NO.

In fact, I'm loving my life. I cherish every single day that I am alive and healthy.

I take care of myself in every way and shape possible and MOST IMPORTANTLY, I am goddamned positive about my own progression! And it's obviously working, since my healing time has surprised even my surgeon and I've yet to even receive the inclination of an infection. I haven't even had a single SNIFFLE in the past few months. I was doing so much better on my own than before I joined your so-called "support group" to "recognise the pain it brings us daily". I should have known from that description alone. Goddamn, f. Anyone would think you'd all just been told you've got a month to live. I know people with CANCER who have a more positive mind-set than you lot. I haven't seen a single positive thing on your entire site, besides what myself and Adrian* have posted, and HE left before I did! For the same reason! I left because I was sick of trying to help you all when you very clearly didn't want to be helped. "Support group", bah! Every time I mentioned something positive, you'd shoot it down and try to bring me down to your level of hopelessness. But no longer.

True support and strength is supposed to come from the INSIDE, but you're all just a bunch of weak-minded, pathetic, bored, excuse for people, sitting around and making excuses for yourselves. Forgetting the bigger picture and focusing only on the now. In a year's time, I'll be back into my dancing and daily gym sessions, and you'll still be locked away inside yourself, wondering why you haven't got any friends left and still relying on hourly medication, not even trying to help yourselves.

You disgust me.

/endrant

*Name changed.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

June 13, 2013 7:35 am  #643

I gather the 'support group' is a misnomer! This may be harsh but there are people who actively enjoy being victims and invalids; it is their niche and they adopt the role perfectly. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 13, 2013 5:57 pm  #644

My rant: I still think we could do with a chat function. That way, I could say hi to Matt and QE the same time, ask QE how her time away was, telling them I've been rewriting a lot today, thank Tobe for her comment on my fic and tell beasley how I've meant that comment at the other threat without getting lost in PMs!

Last edited by Schmiezi (June 13, 2013 5:58 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 13, 2013 6:02 pm  #645

That would be nice...nobody do facebook chat?
Actually on my 1st Sherlock forum we did have a chat function...gonna check if it's still there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 13, 2013 6:08 pm  #646

I'm on facebook. Easy to find by my real name and a certain green door in the background. And yeees, it's a Start Trek dress I'm wearing. :-)

Need to make some small dinner now, but as hubby is still busy with his pc game I should be back in a few minutes! ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 13, 2013 6:52 pm  #647

I'm not on facebook and know others who aren't. So I would prefer a chat window here, too. Still. 

I created a WhatsApp group with some members, so we can chat, but I don't think it's a good idea to change phone numbers with everyone here.

Last edited by Mattlocked (June 13, 2013 6:55 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 13, 2013 7:01 pm  #648

... I'm silently cursing Apple for making sure that my 3G no longer supports Whatsapp! Okay, not THAT silently.

June 13, 2013 7:07 pm  #649

I….  wow…  I know you didn't mean us, but I still felt really nudged by this anyway, Sampy.  Thanks for sharing.   
Bit of a guilty nudge, there.  Not to excuse myself in any way, but just get frustrated still struggle for ages with myself with knocking off those stupid depressive mental habits instead of being so positive about it all like you talk about.  I'm definitely not a victim, and so lucky to have everything as good as I've got it, relatively speaking, as a healthy, independent, decent human being (an attitude of gratitude is what my dad always urged) but still don't seem to 'let' myself get all the way to 'that side' with not always picking on myself, either.  Depressive talk (even from a low period now past) will do that… keep you stuck thinking you'll never be as good as you should be, or just being able to live joyfully in the moment, cloud-free.  But you're right… it totally is mind over matter.  And just a frustrating habit in the head… not a permanent thing you're stuck with!  Good to remind myself again.  Is that always the little trick you use, to keep it up - the 'remembering the big picture' thing?  Great to hear you've been doing so well with that, and good luck!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 14, 2013 7:20 am  #650

Russell, I didn't mean any offense, as I said - it definitely wasn't intended for anybody here. If you did take something positive from it though, you're welcome then, I guess?

This is going to get into another long rant, by the way, but then...we are in the ranting topic...

I was also diagnosed with a mild clinical depression from 14, and had a pretty negative view about everything for a long time. But I also managed to get through that without any medication. Well, I tried it once, but it just made things worse. The thing is that I didn't trust anybody, not even medication, for my own personal happiness - I have always believed that it should come from the inside and that it's not up to other people to keep you encouraged. And while I still have occasional downer moments for no apparent reason, I place a lot of value in the power of the mind. The things the human mind can do is absolutely mind-blowing. There have been a load of studies about it, all highly interesting.

On top of that, I'm half-Filipino and have travelled to the Philippines numerous times. Our family has always sent money over, and so while my family is doing a bit better than many others over there, every time I go over - it's still a massive culture shock. People who can barely afford to feed themselves, who are amazingly thankful for handmedowns, entire families who live in a 'house' (read: 'room') that's smaller than my own bedroom. They place importance on family and health and always focus on what they DO have, rather than the things they don't. And even with as little as they have, they're still always willing to share it with you. Then I come back home and people whine about every little thing and forget to be thankful for the fact that they're healthy and alive, with a roof over their heads, a flushing toilet and have hot water access, let alone have running water at all. And I get that many people just don't know any better because they don't have the same world experience, whether they've never travelled to second or third world countries before, or maybe just don't have it as part of their nationality, but they just...they forget that just being alive and healthy is one of the most beautiful things to be in the world.

AND THEN, I actually do have a couple of friends with cancer. One of them is currently in remission, thankfully, let's hope it stays that way. But the other way told 12 months ago that they would have 12 - 15 months to live. Instead of moping about, they've decided to "make the rest of their life, the best of their life" and are one of the most positive people I know. He's quick with a laugh and always has a smile on his face and is one of the most loyal, genuine people you'll ever meet, he hasn't let his condition get in the way of how he lives his life at all. In fact, he claims it's made him even more positive that life is there to be lived to the fullest - while it can be.

So all of that combined, then I join this "support group" so I could chat to other people who are going through the same thing I am, and I find that they're a sorry bunch of losers who do nothing but actually seem to live their lives by the same motto that's in their group description (seriously - I should have really known better from this alone), "to recognise the pain it brings us daily". They don't even try to help themselves! As soon as I found out what I'd be going through, I read every article I could on how to improve my health and immune system, how to promote bone growth, everything I could do to make sure I'd be able to get through everything the very best I could, and these people don't even try.

I'm inclined to agree with Davina - not so much that they seem to enjoy having a disability, but they seem to actively enjoy trying to get as much sympathy as possible from people about how 'difficult' their life is.

They just...oh f it.

I can't even.
I can't.

At least I left the group. I had to, for my own sake.
But I've been dying to let that all out since joining them.

Phew!

Tl;dr -

Don't be ungrateful. Appreciate life while you can.

------------------------------------------
There's no shortcut to a dream. It's all blood and sweat and life is what you manage in between.

June 14, 2013 8:51 am  #651

Now there's that discussion.
You do not choose mental health. I'm a physically healthy person, thank god, and I do appreciate it.
But I have been in therapy for a long time and in the end, I can cheerfully declare that it has changed nothing about my situation. A therapist does not help you to solve your problems, no way, that woman was telling me that if I really wanted to solve my problems I would find a solution. All I needed to do was to think about it. All props to you, that's exactly what I was trying to escape from. Thoughts. 
However, if you really want to let go of depressions, the worst thing you can do is dealing with other suicidal persons. They strip you down. They're all so negative that you yourself are automatically negative about everything. This is why I never joined a "support group".
But you can't ask a person to be happy just because they're alive and healthy. It is not working. 
I just... it is a difficult theme. I better stay the hell out of it.

Another rant I wanted to leave.
I'm just back from the english exam about "Holes". And I sat there, amongst the others, stared at my working sheet and thought: "What the hell is this?". Then I heard the voice of Moriarty in my head "Nooo this is too easy, this is too easy!"
Honestly, what is so difficult about setting up a task for the students? (I'm not judging, just wondering.)
However, we were supposed to summarize the chapter (oooh, don't ask too much!), then to analyse the atmosphere (all fine) and write down what we think of the characters. What I think of the characters? Kate Barlow is a cheerful person, a vision of a decent and beautiful woman and the other guy is a cheeky bastard. Enough said. All in all, you couldn't write much without repeating yourself too often. That was annoying. The options were very limited. 
In the free part, we should imagine being a person from the ancient Green Lake waking up in the present Camp Green Lake and making shocking observations. This is what I call 'unimaginative'.
I'm very confused and curious about how my teacher's going to rate the exams. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 14, 2013 10:32 pm  #652

The topic of everything that falls under the umbrella of 'mental health' is so broad that you obviously can't lump everyone in the same boat (although I'm sure the NHS tries it on.)

I had to see a therapist after a nasty little event in my life but it was more for guidance and technique rather than having someone to moan to for a couple of hours a week (to be honest talking about the event in question was just exhausting more than anything.) I can see why Sampy Arctica hated a support group situation because I feel that if you surround yourself with people of a negative mindset, like Mary Me says, they wear you down over time. (And I guess that could be partially down to whoever is leading the group not having a handle on it.) Sounds like your group have been taking lifestyle tips from Fight Club. Probably for the best that you ditched them.

Mary Me it sounds like your therapist was a little... um... useless I wish my exams had been like yours, mine were hellish... not to mention I had the same nervous reaction to exams as Rimmer from Red Dwarf I much prefered coursework/dissertations. You could take your time (or do what some people did; leave it until the night before and then go to work on a six pack of Red Bull and a packet of Pro Plus.)

Life is bitterly short and a sense of our own mortality drives everything we do. People just handle it very differently. Some people like the drama of it all and will band together with people of a similar ilk. It's just human nature (although in this case not a very healthy example.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

June 19, 2013 10:28 am  #653

Leaving a big rant. So angry right now.

Thanks to the high temperatures today the grades 5 - 9 were given the rest of the day off. There's only one small problem. I'm in grade 10. I was actually supposed to stay at school, watch the younger students running to the bus and sit in my geography class. 
I do not owe the school, but the federal state. The state must provide the school closure due to the heat wave in all public schools so that all students can get a day off. If the state does not, the school principal can send home all students from grades 5 to 9. And this is what I'm raging about right now.
This excludes my grade. The classrooms are like a sauna, it is impossible to concentrate.
Do I sweat less than the students from the 9th grade? Am I still able to concentrate at these temperatures, only because I'm in grade 10? What the hell. This is why I just went home.
I do not let myself discriminate by the state.

Last edited by Mary Me (June 19, 2013 10:29 am)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

June 19, 2013 1:35 pm  #654

Poor Mary!

We are having a similar kind of problem. As we are a "Ganztagsschule", which means that there are lessons in the afternoon, we are not allowed to send everybody home before 1 o'clock. At 10 o'clock my class room had a temperature of 28 degree Celsius. There are no curtains on the inside (combustible) and no blinds on the outside (too expensive, I presume).

Heck, I was close to just go home myself.

June 19, 2013 10:30 pm  #655

I walked the dogs tonight wearing open sandals. It was getting dark by the time I got back and I walked through some stinging nettles! Ouch! 

June 20, 2013 10:07 am  #656

Oh god I really feel for you Mary Me, Schmiezi and Davina xxx I really don't 'do' heat... being from the UK I can't stand anything hotter than cold drizzle. And stinging nettles are just oooh, nasty.

Not really a rant but a minor complaint. I have a casting to attend later today. I already know everyone turning up and yet I am *still* nervous... how... why?!  

(They're going to find out about my nerves and laugh at me I just know it )

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 20, 2013 8:53 pm  #657

Are nerves not normal? I think maybe a lot of others will be feeling nervous too because casting is competitive. Anyhow,  I hope the casting went really well for you.

June 21, 2013 9:55 am  #658

Davina wrote:

Are nerves not normal? I think maybe a lot of others will be feeling nervous too because casting is competitive. Anyhow, I hope the casting went really well for you.

Thank you very much

As it turns out my nerves were not unfounded. I felt like I'd walked in on someone's board meeting... Full of suits (aside from the writer, the only guy I knew, who was more informal.) I think it went well but I'll know on Monday if I impressed or not.

Note to self though. When your audition is in a really tall building, don't climb the f**king stairs...

June 24, 2013 1:34 pm  #659

Are you on a keep fit mission or something? Or was your part as an asthmatic? 

June 24, 2013 5:02 pm  #660

I think we need a rolling-eyes smiley on here...*sighs*

Great thread, though!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

Board footera