BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2012 6:44 pm  #1

Hänsel and Gretel - the names - pure chance!

I'm absolutely sure that this is a pure coincidence, yet I find it oddly fascinating:

"Hänsel and Gretel"

are led into danger by the witch.

The witch in a fairytale is "a good old-fashioned villain", which in this case is Moriarty. Obvious.

But the names!
"Hänsel" in German is short for "Johannes", Engl. "John".
"Gretel" in German is short for "Margarete", Engl. "Margaret". A short form of Margaret is "Molly".

Hmmm...just so you know! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 27, 2012 7:04 am  #2

Re: Hänsel and Gretel - the names - pure chance!

Coincidence, but what a coincidence. Love everything about the use of the brothers Grimm tales in TRF. This was my childen's absolute favourite fairy tale when they were young, although it is so gruesome. I could never leave any of it out. They especially enjoyed the witch being pushed into the oven and burned!

'Nibble, nibble little mouse. Who's that nibbling at my house?'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 27, 2012 7:47 am  #3

love those name coincidences!

and ooo, scary, pushing the witch into the oven.. they will
BURN the HEART out of her...    those fairy tales really
were grim.. 

April 27, 2012 12:34 pm  #4

Not sure if it will be of interest to anyone but there is a long history of psychological studies of Fairy Tales. A good introduction can be found on:

www.answers.com/topic/psychology-and-fairy-tales

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 27, 2012 1:25 pm  #5

Davina wrote:

Coincidence, but what a coincidence. Love everything about the use of the brothers Grimm tales in TRF. This was my childen's absolute favourite fairy tale when they were young, although it is so gruesome. I could never leave any of it out. They especially enjoyed the witch being pushed into the oven and burned!

'Nibble, nibble little mouse. Who's that nibbling at my house?'

"Knusper-knusper Knäuschen,
wer knuspert an meinem Häuschen?"

Oh, I love those onomatopoeia!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 27, 2012 7:42 pm  #6

Lautbilderisch. Is that correct?

April 27, 2012 7:47 pm  #7

"lautmalerisch"
Oh, Davina, you're not so bad...!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 28, 2012 12:34 am  #8

jenosborn wrote:

and ooo, scary, pushing the witch into the oven.. they will
BURN the HEART out of her...

Did they actually say that? Is that where it comes from?!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 28, 2012 9:17 am  #9

"john" is such a common name in either language. It is bound to happen.

Sherlock? You ever eat too much ginger? It'd burn the heart (and other parts) out of you.

Last edited by kazza474 (April 28, 2012 9:17 am)

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 28, 2012 9:22 am  #10

Maybe that's what Moriarty was planning all along - give Sherlock ginger! That was the final problem! That was the clue we all missed! (I'm joking of course)

April 28, 2012 9:35 am  #11

Yes well : I know that if he gave ME ginger I'd jump off a building!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 28, 2012 10:45 am  #12

That's why Sherlock had tears in his eyes - it was the effect of the ginger!

April 28, 2012 4:27 pm  #13

Damn! Lautmalerisch! Knew it was something like painting/picture! Lol
Nothing wrong with ginger! Ask Benedict and Mark! Lol

Board footera