BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 22, 2013 3:02 pm  #41

Re: Golden Globes 2013

tiharoa wrote:

veecee wrote:

1. Benedict was quite charming in the red carpet interview I saw (can't find the link now). He was totally starstruck by other attendees. He almost left his own interview to go see Adele.

There was a tumblr saying:  
"I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch was excited to see Adele because he loves her music, or because she has a baby that he can take pictures with."

For gods sake someone hand that man a baby!

The man always handles not winning with such grace and humility it's beautiful (I refrain from saying 'lose' because it implies failure of ones career over a fancy paperweight/ doorstop.) I can smile and play at being gracious when I don't win something but there is always that lump in your throat where you are biting back the choking disappointment.

I feel for him.​

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Non Solum Ingenii Verum Etiam Virtutis'

January 22, 2013 4:45 pm  #42

I often hear that this or that actor was 'nominated' for a Golden Globe (or an Oscar) or that they are the "winner" of a Golden Globe or Oscar.  It really makes no difference to me whether nominated or winner.  Both are prestigious honors for amazingly talented people.  One just got lucky from a voting stand point is all it means to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 22, 2013 4:49 pm  #43

Exactly. And one shouldn't forget that some awards are given for "political" reasons, e.g. because someone simply deserved one after having been nominated for the umpteenth time or should have gotten one the year before for a much better performance and so on. I've always been a fan of Peter O'Toole who was nominated seven or eight times and "only" was awarded an Honorary Oscar. Besides, Benedict is just starting with films that may earn him such nominations (and awards). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2013 6:20 pm  #44

There are a lot of films you know will get an award even before the filming starts. And there a lot of award winning films that I found immensely boring and trivial.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 23, 2013 4:16 pm  #45

Ivy wrote:

There are a lot of films you know will get an award even before the filming starts. And there a lot of award winning films that I found immensely boring and trivial.

I couldn't agree more! That's why I always take these things with a grain of salt. I'm always happy when a performance or film I thought deserved to win does, but it doesn't diminish my appreciation of it if it doesn't. There are all kinds of motives behind how awards are given, sometimes genuine talent is the least of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

Board footera