BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2012 2:08 pm  #1

Golden Globes 2013

Best Actor in a Mini-Series or TV Movie Nominees:

Benedict Cumberbatch

Unfortunately Martin didn't get one, but there's a combined supporting actor category for all TV stuff, so the chances were low.

Better than nothing.

Last edited by Ivy (December 13, 2012 2:22 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 13, 2012 2:16 pm  #2

Re: Golden Globes 2013

Benedict was nominated for Sherlock.  It's the only thing he would be eligible for.

Sherlock and Martin were not nominated, though Martin didn't have a chance in hell anyway.

December 13, 2012 2:31 pm  #3

So let's be happy for him. Shame about the other categories though, they would have deserved after the Emmys.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 13, 2012 2:53 pm  #4

Congratulations to Benedict!  Hope my countrymen finally give Sherlock some lovin' here in the U.S.

December 13, 2012 7:02 pm  #5

I'm so happy for Benedict!! It's a real shame Sherlock didn't get anything and surprising considering they did nominate The Hour, which is a great show, but still a bit surprising. I actually liked the overall nominations, which seemed slightly more fair and varied than I have seen them in a long time, so I'm actually looking forward to the show for a change.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

December 14, 2012 8:26 pm  #6

When I heard about it I was like

Finally some appreciation for batchie and sherlock :D

December 14, 2012 10:03 pm  #7

^ Agree!

Great news!

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

December 14, 2012 10:34 pm  #8

I have to confess that I absolutely love The Hour. Another classy BBC production. Dominic West is amazing, as always. Soooooo pleased for Benedict too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

December 14, 2012 11:25 pm  #9

I just hope history doesn't repeat itself: Benedict is up against Kevin Costner again.  But--the Golden Globes are voted on by the international press corps so I am modestly optimistic that this time, the outcome will be different.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

December 15, 2012 6:12 pm  #10

Davina wrote:

I have to confess that I absolutely love The Hour. Another classy BBC production. Dominic West is amazing, as always. Soooooo pleased for Benedict too.

I do too. Though I'm more partial to Ben Wishaw. I'm glad the Globes seem more aware of the good stuff that's out there. The nominations got me to watch Political Animals, which is a fantastic show that I never even took note of before.

This is a cash and carry world. You pay as you go. Sometimes it's a little. Mostly it's a lot. Sometimes it's all you have.

January 13, 2013 6:41 pm  #11

I wonder who will be his date tonight. Or if he has a date at all. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 14, 2013 1:57 am  #12

Kevin Costner won.

January 14, 2013 2:07 am  #13

What must they (the voters) be thinking in their silly little brains???

Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 14, 2013 2:26 am  #14

I know. Costner has always been a passable actor, but in all seriousness, his talent isn't a patch on Benedicts (and no, that's not my fangirl talking). How the hell people will think that these awards shows don't have agendas after the award doesn't go to the most deserving I don't know.

*sigh* It's very disappointing. I really want to see him get some peer recognition! Not that Golden Globes is really the place for that....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

January 14, 2013 2:35 am  #15

Well, Ben did get a nice round of applause and he did look quite lovely. Nice big smile for the camera.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 14, 2013 3:56 am  #16

Wholocked wrote:

*sigh* It's very disappointing. I really want to see him get some peer recognition! Not that Golden Globes is really the place for that....

God, seriously.....  I know, I know it's so often a close contest with too much amazing talent to pick from, but it seems so often that it's also pandering to... what would you call it... mainstream favorites?  C'mon.... Ben's been up so many times for awards and only won a small few, and even if this one isn't as prestigious as a BAFTA, he still deserves something for Sherlock!!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 14, 2013 4:33 am  #17

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

What must they (the voters) be thinking in their silly little brains???

I don't think they think.  That or they have never watched Sherlock.  Or they hate British TV?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brook is Make Believe!

January 14, 2013 4:43 am  #18

Just wait for next year. Benedict and Martin, being household names by then, will get their Sherlock appreciation in retrospect.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 14, 2013 5:44 am  #19

Oh dear, poor Ben. How will he survive this?  No peer recognition?????
Hmm, it's a worry huh?

Soource : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Cumberbatch

"It's just a bit of hard plastic with glittery bits. There'll be others"
I recall using that phrase when consoling myself in '91 when Costner didn't win the gong for JFK; travesty of justice there!
Luckily that 'passable actor' has stuck it to his critics over & over again through the years as not only an excellent actor but a brilliant producer  & director as well. 
Maybe in years to come the newer breed will also show us their skills in those fields?

Meantime seriously, have you not all noticed, the actors DON'T really care. It changes nothing in their eyes. He's still going to be flogging out performances in 20 different arenas like there's no tomorrow. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

January 14, 2013 7:45 am  #20

Of course the audience recognition and appreciation is what matters most. I'm sure Benedict knows that as all actors do (at least that's what I think). Still, it may be a bit frustrating that Martin and Andrew each won a BAFTA and he didn't. And that Robert Downey jr. got a Golden Globe for his Sherlock Holmes (which I enjoyed very much) and Benedict with his iconic performance came away empty-handed. But he'll get over it. And the best is yet to come. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera