BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2012 10:47 am  #1

Greetings from sunny New Hampshire

At least I think it will be. I'm an American woman who spent a few years in England in the late 1970's, and before that I wrote Str Trek and other fanfiction and my goodness things are better now that there's the internet. Not that I can get anything done in the real world, but it is wonderful to have fandom wherever one lives.

I just started wrting Sherlock fanfic and now I need data, so thank you all for being here.

October 2, 2012 10:57 am  #2

Re: Greetings from sunny New Hampshire

Welcome to the forum, nice to have you here. Some of us like reading fanfic very much, just have a look at the threads. Hope to read one of yours sometime. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 2, 2012 11:28 am  #3

Welcome, Rhyolight, from the soggy Midwest!  I'm a bit of a trekkie, too, as well as a Sherlockian. Looking forward to BC in the new film?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 2, 2012 11:33 am  #4

Welcome to the forum! Creative minds are always well received around here 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

October 2, 2012 11:35 am  #5

Hi Rhyo - are you anywhere near the southern NH border - over toward the east like in the Salem area?  There are a couple of us in the area if you are.  Welcome to this really great Forum.  I was/am a trekkie too and am really glad to hear you are writing fanfic - especially Sherlock.  Point us toward some of your stuff sometime - I'd love to read it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

October 2, 2012 11:38 am  #6

Hi, warm welcome also from me, and good luck for your project regarding John! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 2, 2012 12:13 pm  #7

Hello and welcome to the forum. You should find plenty of data, but not Data, around here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 2, 2012 5:19 pm  #8

Oh, another writer. Welcome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 2, 2012 7:08 pm  #9

Welcome I also like Star Trek, more into the original series myself. I am also interested to know what you think of our Ben being in the new film.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 2, 2012 10:02 pm  #10

My heart, or at least the stainless steel valves that pass for it (metaphor) (I think) is warmed by your welcome.
My Trekkie nature was pinned to the original series; I gave it all I had, in longhand, and then I think I had children (checks Wikipedia); yes, I did (2 by the time Next Gen came out). So although I am literate in modern Trek, I'm not fluent. (But I know that was silly about D/data, Davina, and it  made me laugh.) And I haven't seen the new movie, although I am not opposed to it and I will probably be enticed into seeing it before I see the new one when it comes out which I will need to see because of BC.

Meanwhile I am looking forward to The Hobbit. Part of me thinks MF is too old and Bilbo should be roughly the same age as Frodo was, and part of me just likes MF so much I will try anything. And even if Peter Jackson was at times uncanonical in LotR, I can forgive a lot for the beauty of the movies. And poor Gollum. Only I am really not sure about the dwarves. Balin in my head is not funny-looking.

I am nerdishly excited at the idea of any motion-captured dragon and the identity of the actor of Smaug just makes me more so.

So you already know I can be pedantic and stubborn, but I try to behave in public.

I am Rhyolight in Archive of Our Own and Rhyolight04 in Fanfiction.net. I hadn't written any fic in years but ABC's Castle revived my inner fangirl. I thought i was going to get away free of Sherlockian plot bunnies but I am so delighted some of them have come to nibble my feet. I can't tell you what a wonderful world of canon and resources the internet is (obviously, you know) but it's still AMAZING t be able to find out what sort of pubs are easy walking distance from New Scotland Yard (though this information would not be of much use to me if I were still writing Star Trek), to be able to draw on the work of other people who have done the transcripts and so on. Although the generosity of fandom is not surprising at all it's still delightful.  The Sherlock fandom seems to me to be particularly charming and intelligent (no, really). So thank you, and I am looking forward to spending time here, because you have all been so nice.

I live outside of Concord, in Henniker, and I would love to get together with some Sherlock fans some time. I have friends who watch it but the fan thing seems rarer here than in Greater Boston, where I used to live.

Now I am going to go eat, and feel warmed, again, by your kindness.

October 2, 2012 10:51 pm  #11

Welcome to the forum! (I'm new as well). Looking forward to your Sherlock fics.
I don't live there anymore, but I used to live in New Hampshire near Concord when I was younger.

Last edited by trenchcoats (October 2, 2012 10:53 pm)

October 3, 2012 12:56 am  #12

Welcome from all the time ( ) sunny Brazil! You believe I've never watched Star Trek and The Lord of the Rings! But now I have a few reasons... Providing...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The scar had not pained Harry for nineteen years. All was well.” HP and the Deathly Hallows

"Why's it always the hat photograph?"The Reichenbach Fall

October 3, 2012 3:02 am  #13

Welcome Rhyolight. It's funny but I have noticed that Sherlockians also tend to be fans of (any or all of) Star Trek, Bones, Castle, Doctor Who, LOTR, Criminal Minds and such. I wonder what the attraction is?

Last edited by Wholocked (October 3, 2012 3:03 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 3, 2012 8:18 am  #14

Rhyolight wrote:

At least I think it will be. I'm an American woman who spent a few years in England in the late 1970's, and before that I wrote Str Trek and other fanfiction and my goodness things are better now that there's the internet. Not that I can get anything done in the real world, but it is wonderful to have fandom wherever one lives.

I just started wrting Sherlock fanfic and now I need data, so thank you all for being here.

I live in New Hampshire, too. Welcome! And good luck with your writing.

October 4, 2012 10:58 pm  #15

Welcome, Rhyo!
Now you've put the pressure on. Everybody, be charming and intelligent! 

October 11, 2012 6:15 am  #16

Hello and welcome, Rhyolight!

I'm a trekker since the early days of the original series. I also like Next Generation, but didn't care much for Deep Space 9 or Voyager. I'm looking forward to seeing BC in the newest ST movie when it comes out next May. Also looking forward to seeing MF in Hobbitt.

Just a side note...I have cousins living in Epping and Henniker. 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

October 21, 2012 2:53 pm  #17

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for joining us. :-)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 21, 2012 8:08 pm  #18

Hallo! With a forum like this, it is definitely harder to get things done and to stay focused.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

Board footera