BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2012 8:00 am  #221

Re: Emmy Awards

Our other two "boys"

Last edited by Ivy (September 25, 2012 8:01 am)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 25, 2012 10:49 am  #222

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

I find it very interesting that critics appreciate the show, and Benedict's performance in a role that was game-changing for him, more, apparently, than the Academy members.  I guess the people who actually voted for the nominees couldn't surmount their dull and ordinary vision of what a winning show/role should look like.     (BTW, SP, I posted the same New York Times snippet on the other Emmy thread, too!)

LOL Sherli...good job!..the world shall learn not to mess with this Fan Forum! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

September 25, 2012 10:50 am  #223

NW16XE wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

I let them have it over at huffington post:

"Sherlock is the wittiest, most creative show on television and Benedict Cumberbatch is to die for. It appears that Emmy voters are comprised of the same demographic that prefer safe, dumbed down mediocrity over sheer brilliance. And what was with all the hideous yellow dresses last night? "

That was you! Saw it and wondered if it was posted by anyone here.   

Yes I get around. My political posts are even worse

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 25, 2012 12:05 pm  #224

The International Emmy nominations for this year are not announced until October.
I can't find any way of knowing if they even submitted a nomination; so we wait till October I guess.

The term 'Emmy Nominee" would only apply to a current nominee, as the awards are over, they lose that 'title'. Let's face it, there are thousands of past nominees. lol.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 25, 2012 4:51 pm  #225

Aww that sucks that they didn't win a single one...although there was some pretty tough competition and it's good just to get the nomination I suppose. Meh, it's not actually going to say anything.

The pictures are awesome, thanks, I especially like the one of Mark Gatiss in those cool shades!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 25, 2012 4:53 pm  #226

kazza474 wrote:

the term 'Emmy Nominee" would only apply to a current nominee, as the awards are over, they lose that 'title'. Let's face it, there are thousands of past nominees. lol.

Maybe so, but they're still introduced that way here in the States. Just in the last week, I saw/heard it twice-- one person was an Oscar nominee from years ago and another an Emmy nominee from sometime in the last five years or so. It's an honor to be nommed, and people are often introduced with that past nominee information attached to their name, even if it was decades ago. I also hear it done with Olympic athletes who never won a medal as well, "Olympic athlete Jane Doe...."

September 25, 2012 6:49 pm  #227

Thanks for the pics sherlockedkt and Ivy

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 25, 2012 10:58 pm  #228

I agree, I hear people called "Emmy-nominated" even years after they were nominated.  They even print it on DVD boxes - It'll say like "starring Emmy-nominated actor so-and-so" and then have the show they were nommed for and the year in parentheses.  So I think it's still an honor even in later years.

September 26, 2012 12:53 am  #229

The Doctor wrote:

I am not the one to repeat my postings from other threads but this time I have to. As stated, I found it on tumblr:

"You... You told me once... That you weren't an Emmy winner. Umm... There are times I don't even know how that's possible, but let me tell you this. You are the best series, the most clever... Cleverly brilliant thing that I've ever watched and no one will ever convince me that you didn't deserve it, and so... There. I was so disappointed... Still, I love you so much. But please, there's just one more thing, one more thing, one more favor, Sherlock cast and crew, for me, don't be... Sad. Would you do that just for me? Just celebrate it. Celebrate the nominations."

Too clever, Doc.

SP, glad to hear from you . Was getting worried about you.

September 26, 2012 6:27 am  #230

Waving to fans, aw

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 26, 2012 10:39 am  #231

veecee wrote:

SP, glad to hear from you . Was getting worried about you.

Thanks veecee. What a sweet thing to say, hug. My life gets busy at times with all the business travel and networking I do. But this forum is special to me because of the wonderful people here like you.

September 26, 2012 11:05 am  #232

I don't understand : What happened ? I heard that Sherlock haven't won....It is right ?

September 26, 2012 11:44 am  #233

Sherlock won nothing Emy!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 26, 2012 12:06 pm  #234

Sam wrote:

Waving to fans, aw

Such a cutie. *happy sigh*

September 26, 2012 12:17 pm  #235

Okay...but I am not really surprise..I don't know why...

September 26, 2012 12:27 pm  #236

Emy Klevers wrote:

Okay...but I am not really surprise..I don't know why...

And American award, and easily 80% of all the nominees were American. Benedict is a virtual unknown here. Sherlock has only been shown once here as far as I know, and probably was not watched by too many people. And finally, his acting award went to Kevin Costner, a big time American actor with a solid artistic reputation (some would say deserved, others would say not, but that's neither here nor there)-- Costner was practically a shoo-in for the outstanding actor category, with his well-known name and past Oscar winning status. Poor Benedict didn't stand a chance.

September 26, 2012 12:31 pm  #237

But it is so injust !!! BC is a very good actor and he can win !! Yes, he can !!!

Why is it not a "jury" who has choice ?

September 26, 2012 1:00 pm  #238

Emy Klevers wrote:

But it is so injust !!! BC is a very good actor and he can win !! Yes, he can !!!
Why is it not a "jury" who has choice ?

He may eventually win. I don't think he's even won a BAFTA for Sherlock yet, and that's a British award! Hopefully there's a big, long future ahead for our Sherlock.

I believe the voting is done by their peers, the way the Oscars (Academy Awards)are determined in the movie industry. Actors vote for actors, directors for directors, writers for writers, etc, and then everyone votes for the general awards (best show, etc). The academy is made up of past Emmy winners and nominees, I believe.

September 26, 2012 3:44 pm  #239

I too was very disappointed to see that our favourite show didn't win in any of the many categories they were nominated in.
I would have been really nice to see them get what they all highly deserve, but then again, you are all right with what you are saying about the Emmys' relevance.
Prizes nowadays don't say much about quality.

I loved Martin Freeman's sunglasses by the way. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: If I wasn't everything that you think I am, everything that I think I am, would you still want to help me?
Molly: What do you need?
Sherlock: You.

September 27, 2012 1:41 pm  #240

I loved the sunglasses too. He looked so adorable with them.
But the highlight was Benedict with his napkins

Board footera