BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 21, 2012 8:01 pm  #41

Re: Emmy Awards

I won't watch it on TV - hoping for a live stream.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 21, 2012 8:09 pm  #42

Yes! Will def have to watch now! Yeah, overseas shows rarely win (bias much?). But, YOU NEVER KNOW! They have an isle seat for a reason, yeah?

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 21, 2012 10:15 pm  #43

On the twitter, people talk about this ! I lose....Hum...

I say that Cumberbatch will take back a "cake box"...Yes I am not nice...

September 21, 2012 11:33 pm  #44

ancientsgate wrote:

If anything foreign wins in the miniseries categories, it'll likely be Downton Abbey-- .

Except of course it isn't in that category; it's in the Drama category.

Benedict has been widely predicted to win, Kevin Costner being his closest rival. Never a bad thing to lose to Kevin!
The series is a good chance to win, but as in the past it will depend on whether 'they' want too many Emmy's going overseas. The general feeling is it may be OK this year because America doesn't seem to need a 'morale boost' lately; they have enough hoopla with the upcoming election stuff going on.
Martin is an outside chance for his award; directing award is a good chance, writing award is a possibility but don't put your house on that one.

Reality: it's 5 awards in an ocean of awards, don't expect miracles or a large 'presence' on the tube.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 22, 2012 12:36 am  #45

I woldn't be so sure those placards indicate Ben and Martin will be present at the ceremony on Sunday.  Jimmy Kimmel is quoted in today's New York Times as saying he has a prank planned and also:

Mr. Mischer [the show's producer] also said the producers of the telecast are “trying some new things with some of the nominees that we hope will bring life and humor"  to the show, declining to elaborate.

What if those signs are there precisely because those people are NOT going to be present--they're their avatars instead???

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/arts/television/emmy-anticipation-runs-high-for-pbs.html?pagewanted=2&ref=todayspaper&pagewanted=all

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (September 22, 2012 12:37 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

September 22, 2012 1:36 am  #46

kazza474 wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

If anything foreign wins in the miniseries categories, it'll likely be Downton Abbey-- .

No, it isn't. Downton Abbey is nominated in the drama series category, so not in direct competition with Sherlock.
http://www.emmys.com/nominations/2012/Outstanding%20Drama%20Series

Sherlock the show has been nominated in the best miniseries or movie category.
http://www.emmys.com/nominations/2012/Outstanding%20Miniseries%20or%20Movie

Ben and Martin are nominated in lead actor and supporting actor in a miniseries or a movie.
http://www.emmys.com/nominations/2012/Outstanding%20Lead%20Actor%20In%20A%20Miniseries%20Or%20A%20Movie

The series is a good chance to win, but as in the past it will depend on whether 'they' want too many Emmy's going overseas. The general feeling is it may be OK this year because America doesn't seem to need a 'morale boost' lately; they have enough hoopla with the upcoming election stuff going on.

Where do you get these ideas? What has our elections to do with entertainment/TV awards?? If America needs a morale boost, we only give Emmys to American produced shows? What?

September 22, 2012 5:16 am  #47

Well I'll definitely be watching and hoping to see our boys there!  Good luck to everyone on the Sherlock team - they deserve it!  And I agree with the choice of ASIB as their submitted episode - less emotional than TRF but more of a stand-alone and absolutely a perfect balance of drama, humour, suspense, wit, in short everything that makes Sherlock wonderful!

September 22, 2012 6:20 am  #48

ancientsgate wrote:

Where do you get these ideas? What has our elections to do with entertainment/TV awards?? If America needs a morale boost, we only give Emmys to American produced shows? What?

Well of course there's a bias towards American produced shows. It's an American awards event. It's audience is primarily American and it's judges also, as far as I know.

Last edited by Wholocked (September 22, 2012 6:21 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 22, 2012 7:35 am  #49

ancientsgate wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

No, it isn't. Downton Abbey is nominated in the drama series category, so not in direct competition with Sherlock.

Err yeah, that's what I said. Downton took a gamble this year & switched categories; one wonders if that was a wise choice?

I don't 'get' the ideas, they are well known theories on American award shows & if you look back at some of the shock wins, there is substance to these theories. This has been the case for ages, and every few years we see it all over again.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

September 22, 2012 11:42 am  #50

I would love to see Sherlock win, but the press over here is not even mentioning it in Emmy articles. Crossies for our dark horse!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 22, 2012 12:01 pm  #51

OT: I really need someone to explain the "dark horse" thing to me. I thought it had a somewhat sinister meaning; but a colleague called me a dark horse because she learned I had a skill set she didn't know about. I don't understand the phrase, I think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 22, 2012 12:10 pm  #52

Wholocked wrote:

OT: I really need someone to explain the "dark horse" thing to me. I thought it had a somewhat sinister meaning; but a colleague called me a dark horse because she learned I had a skill set she didn't know about. I don't understand the phrase, I think.

A dark horse is the horse no one even realised was in the race, which wins or places. It means a serious contender for a position or award that no one had taken much notice of until they do win. Your colleague was complimenting you, it meant you are someone to be reckoned with. (Or she was feeling threatened by you.  )

Even the Guardian's article about Emmy nominees doesn't mention Sherlock! I'm afraid it's going to be loads of Downton Abbey awards, with a little Mad Men and Breaking Bad tossed in. Oh well.

Last edited by NW16XE (September 22, 2012 12:12 pm)

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 22, 2012 12:54 pm  #53

NW16XE wrote:

Even the Guardian's article about Emmy nominees doesn't mention Sherlock! I'm afraid it's going to be loads of Downton Abbey awards, with a little Mad Men and Breaking Bad tossed in. Oh well.

I think it depends on which article that you read. I have read a few articles here and most say that Ben is the hot favourite to win. I think he was the dark horse until recently.

It's a shame that the first season of Downton Abbey didn't win more Emmys because the second season was definitely not up to standard.

September 22, 2012 1:45 pm  #54

Good news he's being supported somewhere. Oh, f*** the Emmys anyway, Martin's got a BAFTA... 

September 22, 2012 5:02 pm  #55

NW16XE wrote:

Wholocked wrote:

A dark horse is the horse no one even realised was in the race, which wins or places. It means a serious contender for a position or award that no one had taken much notice of until they do win. Your colleague was complimenting you, it meant you are someone to be reckoned with. (Or she was feeling threatened by you.  )

Perfect explanation!  Couldn't have said it better myself.

I read a couple articles yesterday about the Emmys and while Downton Abbey was mentioned several times, I didn't see Sherlock mentioned at all.   I hope they will at least win a few!  But we all know it's a wonderful show, with or without Emmys.

(And now I feel like I did at the awards ceremony chapter of Performance in a Leading Role... lol!)

September 22, 2012 5:21 pm  #56

Do you see this picture ? Benedict and Martin at the Emmy Awards nominee reception last night in LA.

Last edited by Emy Klevers (September 22, 2012 5:22 pm)

September 22, 2012 5:27 pm  #57

Can anyone tell Martin the proper way to tie a neck tie?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 22, 2012 5:42 pm  #58

and this :

It is the nominee reception...

Last edited by Emy Klevers (September 22, 2012 5:43 pm)

September 22, 2012 5:50 pm  #59

Martin looks like he is wearing a collarless shirt and a paisley cravate (now THAT will confuse the French members!). Very actorish daaaaarling! Mwa!

Benedict is wearing the BSoS again.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 22, 2012 6:02 pm  #60

Ah!  They're in the USA!  That makes me happy.

I also found this one:

And this one:

Last edited by sherlockedkt (September 22, 2012 6:03 pm)

Board footera