BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2021 1:43 pm  #1

Sherlock voted 25th greatest TV series of the 21st century

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20211015-the-100-greatest-tv-series-of-the-21st-century

Sherlock came in at number 25 in the BBC Culture 100 Greatest TV Series of the 21st Century.

"While in no way definitive, the answers we have collated are fascinating – and, we hope, will inspire TV lovers everywhere to both seek out titles they haven't seen before, and further reflect on and discuss ones they have. In total, 460 different series were voted for by 206 TV experts – critics, journalists, academics and industry figures – who came from 43 countries, from Albania to Uruguay. Of these voters, 100 were women, 104 were men, and two were non-binary. Each voter listed their 10 favourite TV series of the 21st Century, which we scored and ranked to produce the top 100 listed below."

It's nice to see that it's being viewed fondly in hindsight, after the last series not being so well received. 

October 20, 2021 4:04 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock voted 25th greatest TV series of the 21st century

They were robbed!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 20, 2021 4:13 pm  #3

:D Although I actually think 25th is not bad considering it's international.  I don't know if I agree with the placement of all the choices, but then I haven't seen most of them!  I really need to catch up on my TV watching! 

October 20, 2021 4:51 pm  #4

You and me both, but I watch far too much TV already!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 28, 2021 10:23 pm  #5

I agree, 25 out of 100 is pretty good! Especially since several of the shows on this list are from the last year or two and Sherlock finished before some of them even began. It is interesting to see it just behind Veep, a show I watched and enjoyed but definitely had several weak moments that I didn't enjoy. It's overall pretty funny, though, and satirical so I guess I can see why it would be high on the list.
I think I recognize most of the titles on this list, even though a lot of them I haven't seen. Of the ones I haven't seen, some of them are shows I want to watch (such as I May Destroy You) and some are shows I have no interest in.
I watch Succession, and I kind of like it, but I'm not sure it's as good as its placement on this list might imply (though I like playing the theme song on the piano!).
I know it's really popular, but I'm surprised how high How I Met Your Mother is on the list. I haven't watched it, but not everything I've read about it is favourable.
While I haven't seen The Wire (though I've been told to watch it on more than one occasion), everyone I've heard talk about it sings its praises and talks about how well-written it is, so I guess it's not surprising to see it in the number 1 spot.
Kind of annoying to see Game of Thrones so high on the list, but it did have big fanbase and won several awards.

Last edited by Yitzock (October 28, 2021 10:24 pm)

Clueing for looks.

October 30, 2021 1:24 pm  #6

Game of Thrones was kind of a guilty pleasure for me!  I did think some of it was very good, and some not good at all, but it was very enjoyable to watch.  As sheer entertainment, I suppose I would place it quite high! 

Unpopular opinion: I prefer Better Call Saul to Breaking Bad, although I think they are very close.  Very subjective, I know. 

I think I May Destroy You is one of the best pieces of TV I've ever watched.   I very highly recommend it, with the cavaet that it deals with very adult material, particularly sexual assault.  It's quite original and unique and really makes you think and want to discuss it.  I would put it above Fleabag (to which it was compared).  Michaela Cole is scarily talented!

I have been meaning to watch The Wire for years!  I've only seen a couple of episodes. 

November 12, 2021 8:10 pm  #7

I wasn't interested in Game of Thrones, and I guess I got tired of seeing it everywhere. I realize a lot of people liked it, and it won a lot of awards, so I guess it's not so surprising. I guess I just read various criticisms of it over the years and coupled with getting tired of hearing about it, I guess  I just got tired of hearing about it. In hindsight, I shouldn't have written what I wrote in my previous post. It wasn't nice.

My parents have watched both Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I don't know which one they liked better. I know my mom saw more of the latter. I never did, so I can't really form an opinion. I think I tried watching an episode of Better Call Saul but because I didn't have any context I couldn't get into it. I just remember a doctored document being created by photocopying it and manipulating it lol. So I have an idea about some of the things that can happen on it. Kind of like some of the things that happen on Succession.

Yes, I am aware of the subject matter of I May Destroy You. But because I've read it's a different approach to the subject than anywhere else, I was interested in watching it at some point. I think the writer of the show was also in another earlier series that I had wanted to watch, too.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera