BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2021 4:45 pm  #21

Re: The Courier

Yes I guess that must be difficult, but indeed part of the character...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 27, 2021 7:56 am  #22

Of course. But subtitles would have helped. I kept asking myself if native speakers did understand everything he said. And do not get me started on "Wreckers" and "The Last Enemy", both without subtitles as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2021 3:54 pm  #23

It's that long since I've seen Last Enemy, so can't really comment...
I found Wreckers very open to interpretation...
but I am wondering now if some of that is down to mumbling. Ha!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 30, 2021 4:11 pm  #24

I haven't seen those two, but even as a native English speaker if the sound mixing isn't good or an actor doesn't speak clearly, or too fast, I can still miss lines from time to time. 
It happens with my parents a lot. It seems for the past couple of years we can't get through an episode of a TV show without at least one of us asking at some point, "What did they say?" Sometimes it's from being preoccupied instead of not hearing, though.

Clueing for looks.

April 30, 2021 5:34 pm  #25

Yes I have had some amusing incidences, where I have misheard things on TV!

May 1, 2021 7:45 am  #26

It's very frustrating!  If I'm watching at home in English, I'll sometimes try without subtitles, but almost always end up having to put them on at some time, because I'm missing plot points.  It can be distracting, particularly when the subtitles don't quite match the spoken words!  Or often there is only the option for version which includes information about other sounds e.g."ominous music plays". 

It's a long time since I've seen Wreckers.  I seem to remember it was kind of open to interpretation, but can't remember if I watched with subtitles!

May 1, 2021 3:48 pm  #27

I find it annoying when the subtitles don't completely match, too! Especially when it changes the nuance of the sentence when they omit certain words, though maybe that's just me being nit-picky.
I don't always mind when the subtitles also include the sound effects and music. But this discussion did remind me once of seeing a screening of Hunt for the Wilderpeople at an outdoor film festival a couple of years. They showed everything with subtitles for accessibility. There was a scene that had a song playing in French over it, but instead of saying that, the subtitles read "[Singing in a foreign language]" I thought it was kind of funny that they didn't specify which language the song was in, plus I'm not used to thinking of French as a foreign language since it's one of Canada's official languages.

Clueing for looks.

August 21, 2021 6:09 am  #28

My pal and I went to see this last night.
We both thought it was a brilliant film and really enjoyed it.
Good performances all round and another wonderful period piece.
Such an important part of recent history and one that could have turned out so much worse than it did.
On the film name:
I was originally firmly in camp Ironbark.
Having actually seen the film, I now understand why they changed the title and it makes perfect sense.

August 25, 2021 9:14 am  #29

I am so glad to hear all these positive things about the film. I am still a bit nervous about going to the cinema with so many people. And of course I do not want to see a dubbed version so I ordered the DVD. 25 November cannot come soon enough. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2021 4:18 pm  #30

I have at last been able to pre-order a DVD that doesn't have the 'may not play in the UK' warning on it...I have no idea if my player is multiregional or not!

August 27, 2021 8:57 pm  #31

I have the same worries about the cinema, Susigo.  I'm unfortunately very vulnerable and had been going a few weeks ago when we were distanced and masked, but now all the restrictions have gone here and the case rate is high I am being cautious!  I have been talking with friends and have now got some ffp2 and ffp3 masks and have decided to risk it at some point, going to an earlier showing that's quiet.  No eating popcorn!  But I think having better masks opens things up a bit. 

Thank you for blazing the trail, BB, and for your review! I'm curious about why you have changed your mind about the name, but maybe I'll work it out when I see it! 

August 28, 2021 5:22 am  #32

I have every faith in you!

Board footera