BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 8, 2016 11:22 pm  #1

Articles or reviews about The Abominable Bride

I thought it might be an idea to have a thread for links to articles and reviews about TAB, as I didn't know where to post this one:

http://blog.hearingdogs.org.uk/2016/01/bbc-sherlock-sign-language/
Jill Hipson, a deaf BSL (British Sign Language) tutor, writes about her experience teaching sign language to the cast for the scene with Wilder at the Diogenes Club.

Last edited by ukaunz (January 8, 2016 11:24 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 8, 2016 11:35 pm  #2

Re: Articles or reviews about The Abominable Bride

Wonderful article and a good idea for a thread.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 8, 2016 11:52 pm  #3

Oh yes, excellent article! Thank you for sharing! And, as nakahara said, a very good idea for a thread!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 9, 2016 3:40 am  #4

A good review here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/12076259/Sherlock-The-Abominable-Bride-review.html
Including a timeline of movies that contributed to "Benedict Cumberbatch's rise to stardom" at the end of the article.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 9, 2016 3:49 am  #5

I've seen him in Amazing Grace and The Hobbit trilogy.

January 9, 2016 9:45 am  #6

Nice article, Swanpride, that's also really how I felt about it but you said it a million times better.

January 9, 2016 2:26 pm  #7

http://www.indiewire.com/article/review-sherlock-the-abominable-bride-takes-cliches-and-twists-them-into-genius-20160102

I really enjoyed this review I think the writer really got it , and she mentions that ACD was buried standing up  ( didnt know that ) and links to a nice page about Doyle. Her summation uses the phrase "off his tits " and some of the dunderheaded comments are unintentionally very funny.   

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 10, 2016 11:18 am  #8

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 10, 2016 7:23 pm  #9

LOL, they beat the London fireworks. 

January 26, 2016 5:28 pm  #10

Mothonthemantel wrote:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/review-sherlock-the-abominable-bride-takes-cliches-and-twists-them-into-genius-20160102

I really enjoyed this review I think the writer really got it , and she mentions that ACD was buried standing up ( didnt know that ) and links to a nice page about Doyle. Her summation uses the phrase "off his tits " and some of the dunderheaded comments are unintentionally very funny.

How have I not read this review before?
I love the last paragraph. An excellent summary of the episode.
Bonus to Whovians : wibbly wobbly timey wimey ^^

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 19, 2016 3:32 pm  #11

A bit late for reviews on this but just stumbled over this one and it has a new take and some really interesting ideas and information on TAB from the Gothic angle.

http://www.gothic.stir.ac.uk/blog/the-stage-is-set-the-curtain-rises-we-are-ready-to-begin-bbcs-sherlock-special-the-abominable-bride-19th-century-theatre-and-the-gothic/

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

February 6, 2018 4:27 am  #12

Late to the party here, but here goes:  What was the red letter message during final credits of TAB?  My DVR didn't record the last few seconds as well as the final credits.  Thanks!

February 6, 2018 7:07 am  #13

Cor blimey, cannae mind now! That is ancient history, after all. Ha.
Wasn't it something to do with clue about S 4 episodes?
Anyhow, they are all done and dusted now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 6, 2018 8:06 am  #14

RiGiD wrote:

Late to the party here, but here goes:  What was the red letter message during final credits of TAB?  My DVR didn't record the last few seconds as well as the final credits.  Thanks!

Sorry, I do not remember this one. I read that the red letters in end PBS end credits of The Final Problem spell the word ANEMOI but I have no idea about the special. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 6, 2018 4:39 pm  #15

Yeah, I honestly couldn't remember...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 7, 2018 4:09 pm  #16

Me, neither. Sorry about that. I could look on the episode on Netflix?

Clueing for looks.

February 7, 2018 7:53 pm  #17

I don't remember what the message was, but it had to be something done by BBC. My DVD credits have no red letters.

Board footera