BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2017 2:25 pm  #1

Newly discovered draft scripts

On this website

https://sites.google.com/site/tvwriting/

you will find draft scripts for several episodes. I have no idea if they are genuine or not but there is a lot of discussion going on. As far as I know, the draft which deviates most from the finished episode is TSoT. Have a look if you are interested. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 5, 2017 2:26 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 5, 2017 2:33 pm  #2

Re: Newly discovered draft scripts

Hm, sounds quite interesting. Then again, I don't want to invest too much into it if it turns out to be fake.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 5, 2017 5:01 pm  #3

Real or fake, it'll be fun to have a look, thanks!  We're kind of starved of new stuff at the moment.

Last edited by Liberty (September 5, 2017 5:02 pm)

September 5, 2017 5:46 pm  #4

Indeed. But there is at least the panel with Mark, Steven, and Sue on the 12th. And this. I am starved for news, too. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 5, 2017 5:47 pm  #5

The Panel should be good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 5, 2017 7:34 pm  #6

It would be a hell of a work to fake filming scripts. I've seen another source of the same files, which means nothing, but, well, why fake them?

September 5, 2017 7:35 pm  #7

But then, presumably not used...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 5, 2017 8:10 pm  #8

I've read TSOT, and I think I prefer the version we got!  Although obviously it's a bit flat just reading the script without the brilliant acting, filming, etc.  IF it's not a fake, I wonder how much they changed as they went through casting and so on.  Interesting that Sholto was meant physically look like Sherlock - maybe changed because they were having Tom as a Sherlock double? And less Janine originally ... I remember them saying something in the commentary about them liking Yasmine and writing more for her.  The ending is similar but I much prefer the Doctor Who version that they ended up with!

Of course, we still don't know if it's fake or not, but there don't seem to be any major revelations - there doesn't seem to be a point to making a fake version like this.  And what I've seen of TLD (just had a brief look) seems quite close.  So I suppose they could be real?

September 5, 2017 8:31 pm  #9

Here is a legit source of scripts http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/sherlock

What I would like is to see some really early scripts, to see how the ideas developed with time.

September 6, 2017 5:50 am  #10

I suppose it's up to the writers, how much thy reveal.

September 6, 2017 6:51 am  #11

The HLV script has clarification on John's feelings when Sherlock tries to get into the office by pretending to propose to Janine: he's thinking "oh, you b******d!"!  I remember us talking a lot about that expression and having different interpretations, whether John was heartbroken, or shocked, etc.  We could have done with those scripts back then!  I suppose it has all be resolved now, anyway, but still fun to get an idea of the original intentions (assuming, of course, that the scripts are real, and that the direction wasn't changed for the final one).

Have we seen the final scripts before?  I'm getting a sense of deja vu reading them, but my memory is terrible, and I don't know if we've just seen bits and pieces along the way or seen the whole script.  For instance the scene with Janine and Sherlock talking about the beehives is in the HLV script, and I'm sure I've read it before (even though it obviously wasn't in the final script!). 

"The other one" is replaced with "our sister", in this.  I suppose it would have been a fun revelation in HLV - probably better that they saved it for S4, though.

Last edited by Liberty (September 6, 2017 7:11 am)

September 6, 2017 5:50 pm  #12

Maybe you have a deja vu because you've read the transcripts. But some scripts were around for a while now.

September 7, 2017 9:17 am  #13

I haven't checked the link yet, but are the scripts for S4? Would love to see what scene Mofftiss had originally intended that everyone hated in TFP (which was replaced with the Molly scene).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

September 7, 2017 1:56 pm  #14

The Page only Shows The Lying Detective from series 4 from what I can see.

Just skimmed it a little. It could be I just don't remember from months ago, but I don't remember Sherlock saying to John (p.58 of the document on the webpage)  "Mrs. Hudson is right. I'm burning up, I'm lost. I'm at the bottom of a pit, and I'm still falling, and I'm never going to climb out."

Something else interesting on p. 117 of the document is JOHN: (A beat; shrugs) It is what it is. (Turns to door) I'm tomorrow six till ten. I'll see you then.

At some point the line was given to Sherlock instead, and the hug was added. It's much more poignant the way it ended up in the episode. I can't see myself bawling to this draft version the same way I did watching the episode.

Clueing for looks.

September 8, 2017 6:33 am  #15

No, he did say something like that, about the pit and not climbing out. 

I agree, that last part is much better as it is.

Team Hudders!

September 8, 2017 7:00 am  #16

@Vhanja beat me to it on both points.

September 8, 2017 10:17 am  #17

It would be really interesting to know when the revisions were made.  As late as during filming, perhaps, sometimes?  Or earlier?  The TSOT one in particular as there are more changes.   What really surprised me about that was the speech ... Steven had talked so much about being interested in the best man's speech since childhood, so I had thought that would be the one part that he would have brought almost fully-formed.  And yet, it looks like that's a part that had a lot of changes between the original draft (assuming it's genuine!) and the final product.   I'd love to be able to ask why!  If it was because it was written earlier, perhaps, and then didn't work quite as well with the tone they were trying to achieve after TEH?

September 8, 2017 2:36 pm  #18

From what little I have learned about screenwriting so far, screenplays can go through several versions before you get to the shooting script, and of course things can change during actual filming. So unless we got to talk to Steven about it, I guess we don't really know when things changed (unless there's a final version that is made available).

Clueing for looks.

September 9, 2017 5:26 pm  #19

The more I look at them, the more convinced I am that the new ones - at least TRF and TSOT - are fakes.  If they're genuine - in my opinion only, of course - they prove that Steve Thompson is a truly dreadful writer.  The scene in TRF at Bart's when Sherlock's babbling on about how he loves his friends makes my teeth itch.  It's as if Thompson has never seen an episode nor listened to his bosses about the character of Sherlock.  It was always my understanding that Mofftiss rewrote parts of TRF - if this truly was an early draft, then it's not surprising in the least.

Ditto with TSOT - wasn't it established that Thompson was meant to write that episode alone but was struggling so much with the script that Moffat and Gatiss pitched in to help and that's why all three of their names appeared on the opening credits?  In particular, the bit where Mary's apparently enjoying Sherlock squirming about Sholto is hideous.  As for "Watters," well, excuse me while I throw up a little in my mouth.

I really hope these are fakes.  If they're not, and in light of how awful parts of them are, I'm starting to believe the speculation that Thompson has incriminating photos of Moffat and that's why Steven has to keep employing him!

September 9, 2017 6:13 pm  #20

Well, it's true that we just don't know the provenance of these documents, so who knows! 

I don't know if we can say he's a bad writer in general. Not everything a person writes is going to be their best work. But struggle he could have. It could have been one of his most difficult tasks up to that point.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera