BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 24, 2017 7:39 pm  #341

Re: Questions about TFP

Kae Em wrote:

My theory is that it is a very old well. Too old to be in any maps or blueprints. 

I believe, in the rescue search the old military staff map (or something close) should be used. There must exist something like that, and the well (like everything around) had to be contained there, since this is the reason to create such maps.

Kae Em wrote:

as Eurus burnt down their house soon afterwards 

I understood, Mycroft made up the part of the story. No fire was necessary to take Eurus away, if she killed someone.

besleybean wrote:

It's only just dawned on me that this means another bond between Sherlock and John: they've both experienced the grief of losing a best friend...except of course Sherlock only pretended to be dead...though John has really lost his wife, of course.

The age is also an important factor. It had to be different to lose the best friend being a child. On the other hand - John was in Afghanistan. He could lose his good friends in the war too.
We really should know more about him!

January 24, 2017 7:41 pm  #342

We know he did lose friends, but at least Sholto survived.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2017 7:51 pm  #343

I wonder if the obvious solution to the drowned Redbeard in a near by well problem was supposed to be obvious - only Sherlock wanted it to be clever and show off and so was distracted by solving the silly broken riddle instead of just opening his eyes and looking.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 24, 2017 7:52 pm  #344

I do hope not...how will he live with that guilt?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2017 7:58 pm  #345

Same as TRF thing though I think. By including sentiment into the deduction you can get a better result.  Some things can't be solved by the brain but need the heart .

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 24, 2017 7:59 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 24, 2017 8:00 pm  #346

Indeed.

January 24, 2017 9:10 pm  #347

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Same as TRF thing though I think. By including sentiment into the deduction you can get a better result.  Some things can't be solved by the brain but need the heart .

To add to this , I wonder if Sherlock had added sentiment to his deductions ,if jumping off Barts and faking his death and breaking John, would ever have been a possibility. I really doubt it.
Mary sort of got it right and showed Sherlock the way to love John - I would never do that ( break John ).

It bothered me that TFP was called TFP but wasn't really about the canon Final Problem , Sherlock faking his death and breaking John, but now in a way I think It is. The locked room memory / mystery that is Sherlock Moriarty told us the answer to and Eurus enforced is he wanted to be clever , but the real solution to TFP and TRF seems to be, be more sentimental.

Maybe B.C. love conquers all was rightl

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 24, 2017 9:12 pm)

January 24, 2017 9:12 pm  #348

I don't know if it's sentiment or love:  Sherlock really shows his love for his sister, at the end of TFP.

January 24, 2017 9:17 pm  #349

Yes. That works whichever way you interpret,  Eurus as Sherlocks inner demons or real or John as Sherlocks whatever.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 24, 2017 9:18 pm)

January 24, 2017 9:19 pm  #350

Well it's different in the sense that Sherlock has only just discovered his sister, but he's always had his friend...well, for almost as long as we've known him, at least.

January 24, 2017 10:08 pm  #351

Naavy wrote:

Kae Em wrote:

I understood, Mycroft made up the part of the story. No fire was necessary to take Eurus away, if she killed someone.

You can clearly see in the shot where Sherlock pushes the walls of the fake room down that the house must actually have burned. There are black burn marks on the stone walls. So that part of Mycrofts story was true. 

Last edited by Kae Em (January 24, 2017 10:08 pm)

January 24, 2017 10:19 pm  #352

The roof in Eurus' room seen in the hug scene later isn't intact anymore, too.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 25, 2017 8:17 am  #353

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I wonder if the obvious solution to the drowned Redbeard in a near by well problem was supposed to be obvious - only Sherlock wanted it to be clever and show off and so was distracted by solving the silly broken riddle instead of just opening his eyes and looking.

Five years old child had not a characteristics of adult Sherlock yet. Adult Sherlock wants things to be clever because he is bored - but as a child, he was amusing himself playing pirates, he was obviously never bored and so didn´t have this motive for his actions yet.

Also, Eurus coded song was obviously not easy. It required the knowledge of advanced cryptopgraphy based on words hidden on gravestones, Latin codes and numbers, all combined. 

Saying that five years Sherlock is to blame for the demise of his friend is quite cruel in this regard.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 25, 2017 8:22 am  #354

Kae Em wrote:

Naavy wrote:

Kae Em wrote:

You can clearly see in the shot where Sherlock pushes the walls of the fake room down that the house must actually have burned. There are black burn marks on the stone walls. So that part of Mycrofts story was true. 

I had the same idea but as when watching again I also saw the destruction of the house. It has bugged me because I did not understand how Mycroft as a youth should have faked a fire without his parents knowing. I was very glad to discover the hole in the roof. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 25, 2017 9:16 am  #355

nakahara wrote:

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Five years old child had not a characteristics of adult Sherlock yet. Adult Sherlock wants things to be clever because he is bored - but as a child, he was amusing himself playing pirates, he was obviously never bored and so didn´t have this motive for his actions yet.

Also, Eurus coded song was obviously not easy. It required the knowledge of advanced cryptopgraphy based on words hidden on gravestones, Latin codes and numbers, all combined. 

Saying that five years Sherlock is to blame for the demise of his friend is quite cruel in this regard.

Yes. Obviously nothing was Sherlocks fault. I simply attempt to explain nobody (especially the Holmes )  looking for Victor in the near by well. Which is stupid.
Actually I sort of think it's odd to blame Eurus too when she was only 6 or 7, although whatever happened to her after certainly must have added to the monstrous turn she took.

January 25, 2017 9:22 am  #356

Kae Em wrote:

Naavy wrote:

Kae Em wrote:

I was not sure, what was this dark "something" on the wall, therefore I need to trust you.
Maybe the fire was started accidentally, short time later?

January 25, 2017 9:31 am  #357

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Yes. Obviously nothing was Sherlocks fault. I simply attempt to explain nobody (especially the Holmes ) looking for Victor in the near by well.

If anybody is to blame, it have to the adults. I still think, how the well could be hidden. If you have children, you not leave the well easy accessible or simply open. Except the parents never knew anything about it.

Last edited by Naavy (January 25, 2017 9:31 am)

January 25, 2017 11:39 am  #358

Kae Em wrote about Mycroft's "caring is not an advantage", and she said, that it doesn't mean that Mycroft does not care. And that's right. Mycroft does care, he cares a lot indeed. And ne never says: "I don't care". "Caring is not an advantage" has a complete different meaning. It means: if you care that will cause you a lot of sorrow and stress. He will have a lot of experience with it.

January 25, 2017 1:52 pm  #359

Looking at that well behind John again, I am puzzled - where did the water, which started to overflow the well in TFP and which fell on John from above, came from? There is no pipe leading to the well, Eurus had no cronies who transported a cistern full of water over the well with the intent to let its content drop down on John (+ Sherlock would notice them immediately), the well has a high wall and no river or brook flows into it....

The only answer to that question seems to be magic, TBH.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 25, 2017 1:56 pm  #360

One inch flexible pipe would have been enough and not too obvious. A pump is smallish, too. I have one at home, you wouldnt believe how efficient it is. And she must have had a couple of cronies anyway.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

Board footera