BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2017 10:06 pm  #41

Re: Our favorite villains

besleybean wrote:

I was just thinking about this, too.
As we have never been given an alternative explanation, it does indeed seem that John and Mary actually met through pure chance. This of course makes a lie out of any theories that Mary deliberately targeted John to get at Sherlock. Heck, she could have bumped Sherlock off anytime she wanted, without going through the farce of marrying John ad giving him a child.

I agree There was also the theory, she worked for Mycroft and was sent to take care of John (because he was so depressed), but she really fell in love. Or she worked for a Sherlock's enemy, to check, if John really believed in Sherlock's death...
Accidental meeting theory still sounds most unlikely :[

January 21, 2017 10:08 pm  #42

Unlikely or not, it seems the one they went for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 22, 2017 2:45 am  #43

besleybean wrote:

I was just thinking about this, too.
As we have never been given an alternative explanation, it does indeed seem that John and Mary actually met through pure chance. This of course makes a lie out of any theories that Mary deliberately targeted John to get at Sherlock. Heck, she could have bumped Sherlock off anytime she wanted, without going through the farce of marrying John ad giving him a child.

LOL!  I agree. =)  If she wanted Sherlock dead, all she had to do was to stalk him and gun him down.

So either she and John did meet accidentally, or else Mycroft did send her to look after him.

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 22, 2017 2:46 am)

January 22, 2017 8:37 am  #44

Personally I always liked the Mycroft theory.
Of course we know Mary used to be a Brit agent and Mycroft was aware of her. See I always thought it was Mary feeding info back to Mycroft, you know like about which wine they would choose for dinner(Ha).
But this doesn't ever seem to have been specifically mentioned in the show.
Thinking back to ASIP, it does kind of balance with Sherlock and John sort of accidentally meeting.
So either Mark and Steven just ran out of time to address this detail, or it never was...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 22, 2017 9:40 am  #45

I was just thinking about Sherlock and John's meeting too!  What are the chances?  Although I suppose that's easier to get away with because it's the two main characters and their first meeting from the books ...  I'm just slightly irritated that they never really did clarify if Mary was working as a nurse or a receptionist.   I think they just didn't put too much thought into it and saw it as irrelevant.   But I suppose that any way Mary met John would have been a coincidence, and I suppose it happened to be at work.  What wasn't a coincidence was that they were drawn to each other, I think.  Although it's unfair, I think Sherlock was right that John subconsciously saw something in Mary. 

But yes, it never made sense that she was trying to kill Sherlock.  She had so many better opportunities than at Magnussen's office.

January 22, 2017 10:36 am  #46

I just took it Mary was both a nurse and receptionist.
In a small practice, this could be possible.
I think John and Mary meeting at work relates to Molly's comment about meeting somebody at work.  In her case she meant Sherlock, the love of her life.

January 22, 2017 10:52 am  #47

She also met Jim from IT at work! (Although not a coincidence!).

January 22, 2017 11:01 am  #48

Well yes, I think that's what she really meant, when she said that line to Sherlock...I was just extending it to it's obvious(to me, at least!) conclusion!

January 22, 2017 11:24 am  #49

And there's Lady Smallwood and Mycroft too

January 22, 2017 11:26 am  #50

Sadly, they didn't seem to be together in TFP! 

January 22, 2017 10:54 pm  #51

Is it not expected that medical receptionist is a nurse, or at least has some medical background? 

But about how John and Mary meet - there is a third possibility. Mary could start working with John, because she wanted to meet him, not because of a secret mission. She could be simply curious, or considered him as attractive man ;]

Last edited by Naavy (January 22, 2017 10:54 pm)

January 23, 2017 2:12 am  #52

Hmm.  That's certainly possible!

January 23, 2017 6:35 am  #53

You mean she was a John fan girl?!
I don't quite see that, somehow.
Incidentally, I had a thought about the 'groundbreaking' thing in Sherlock...
In Canon, Dr John Watson is the narrator.
In BBC Sherlock, for a brief time, we have Mary Watson as narrator.

January 23, 2017 8:06 am  #54

Sherlock believed she was a part-time nurse, didn't he?  So maybe she was a receptionist the rest of the time - I was confused because I thought she was actually a nurse, who maybe did a bit of reception duties, but I'm sure one of the interviews said she was a receptionist.  Which makes Sherlock's deduction wrong.  But it's not important for the plot! 

It looks like they just met through work, normally, and saw something in each other.

January 23, 2017 11:41 am  #55

I must admit, I feel surprised by the "nurse or receptionist" discussion. I do not know, how it works in the rest of the world ;) , but for me it is normal, that receptionists are - or used to be - nurses, or close (at my gynaecologist she is a midwife). The receptionists work mostly on the documentation, but they need to be able to tell, if a particular patient needs to get to the doctor faster, or to initially fill the patient's file/card (to ask the proper questions, and to understand the answers), and, yes, sometimes they do both: receptionists and nurses work (why not?).
I imagine, the last was the Mary's case, but how could it matter?

besleybean wrote:

You mean she was a John fan girl?!

"Fan girl" is too big word ;) But she likely saw many John's press photos, and she could read his blog too. I guess, she used to find the "normal" men rather boring or bland, after her previous life. And there was the handsome doctor-soldier-adventurer-good man, who could be the right man for her... Why not to take a chance? Mary was not a person, who waited, until something happened to her* accidentally - I imagine, she made her move soon ;]

*she was the one, who used to happen to other people - Nanny Ogg phrase ;)

Last edited by Naavy (January 23, 2017 7:35 pm)

January 23, 2017 7:47 pm  #56

Good for her!

January 23, 2017 7:53 pm  #57

It's only my imagination, again

January 23, 2017 8:02 pm  #58

I like it, anyway.

January 23, 2017 8:35 pm  #59

besleybean wrote:

Good for her!

Well, only that it killed her in the end. I mean, if she had not happened to John, she would still be alive. :-/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 23, 2017 8:53 pm  #60

Ah but better to have loved and lost.

Board footera