BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2017 7:47 am  #261

Re: Questions about TFP

SusiGo wrote:

Mothonthemantel wrote:

What do people think was the big fix it that everyone else got wrong.?

I think this question belongs in the same category as what was groundbreaking and making TV history if they could pull it off. Or Sue saying to a fan that anyone who had loved TAB would love S4. Or that love conquered all. All these things were brought up and have not been really resolved. 

Sounds like Sue subscribes to the unreliable narrator or dream or EMP for S04.
Only about 1 minute of 04 was maybe real?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 7:53 am  #262

Yes, I think Amanda exaggerated.  I'm a bit disappointed as I had all sorts of wild expectations! 

Love conquers all - definitely!  The last episode, in fact the last series, was all about love.  And love is part of the final puzzle. 

I don't remember the original quote about it being a fix-it - does anybody have a link?  I'm not sure, but one thing they did was go deeper into what made Sherlock - it's kind of a prequel.   And also they set it in the modern day, which was what ACD did at the time! 

The thing everybody missed - actually, disappointingly, I think it might be that "the other one" could be a sister, not a brother.  Except that we didn't miss that!   Also Amanda tweeted something about the "groundbreaking" aspect being Sian performing different roles (and again, we noticed!).   Not to knock Sian's masterful performance, of course, but the concept was a bit less that I expected.

None of these are really criticisms - the series was fantastic!  But I kind of wish they hadn't raised expectations about those aspects!

January 20, 2017 7:55 am  #263

Our boys aren't very openly affectionate...possibly because they don't want to give the audience the wrong idea!
But the moments they are affectionate with each other, then become more special.
Plus it doesn't always have to be physical demonstrations of affection: their shared jokes, the offering of the hand, the wanting the other's happiness...are all little glimpses of the genuine affection between them. For me the greatest is Sherlock claiming John as family and John clearly enjoying that.
All of these things made  S 4 feel the most real series of all for me.
I just think the team don't always realise how clever some of the fandom are!

Last edited by besleybean (January 20, 2017 7:57 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 20, 2017 8:14 am  #264

Agree Lib. I don't have the quote - but can remember they said they absolutely would not be doing it if they didn't think everyone else was getting it wrong or very similar.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 10:47 am  #265

When Eurus and Sherlock meet during TLD, he feels drawn to her, they eat chips together, chat nicely, she even says he is kind....

.... so why does she jumps at him, knocking him to the ground and screams like a banshee in TFP? She could contain herself successfully before and now she is incapable to?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 20, 2017 10:48 am  #266

nakahara wrote:

When Eurus and Sherlock meet during TLD, he feels drawn to her, they eat chips together, chat nicely, she even says he is kind....

.... so why does she jumps at him, knocking him to the ground and screams like a banshee in TFP? She could contain herself successfully before and now she is incapable to?

I suppose she needed to incapacitate him for her games later.

But yes, I feel cheated out of those lovely, lovely TLD scenes with Sherlock and the sweet lady in red...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 20, 2017 10:51 am  #267

Mothonthemantel wrote:

As for love I think other adaptations have had much more affectionate and loving Holmes and Watson's - Granada & Rathbones.

Livanov and Solomin too....

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 20, 2017 10:53 am  #268

Liberty wrote:

TInstead, he still needed the clue about the no one/Nemo clue (which Eurus really emphasises) to point him the right direction.

Nemo is in Latin and demands that you know that language...
Even if Sherlock could read as six-years old, would he know such Latin terms already?

January 20, 2017 10:56 am  #269

Well Eurus did and expected him to know, too.
I think Mycroft must have tried to solve the puzzle and failed too

-----

January 20, 2017 11:06 am  #270

Yes what a hugely puzzling puzzle. Drowned Redbeard in the well !

Was it a secret hidden covered over for decades well ?

January 20, 2017 11:14 am  #271

Yeah, that's sort of odd. There must have been a rescue mission of sorts, surely? After a child went missing? And an old well would have been searched right away...

-----

January 20, 2017 11:16 am  #272

It is one of the first things you check for on the maps.

January 20, 2017 1:18 pm  #273

There is one thing no one has mentioned.  Mark and Steven went all the way back to the beginning.  To the day Sherlock and John met.  How they came together and grew and changed each other into the team they would become.  I don't believe anyone has ever done that before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2017 1:22 pm  #274

ewige wrote:

Yeah, that's sort of odd. There must have been a rescue mission of sorts, surely? After a child went missing? And an old well would have been searched right away...

Yeah, that's the one thing that irks me as well.
I was thinking of an explanation like maybe Eurus was able to hide the boy somewhere else until the well had been searched and drowned him later. Didn't Mycroft said something about that Eurus later refered to Redbeard as the 'Drowned Redbeard'? I mean, she wanted Sherlock to figure out her riddle and then she was willing to tell were Redbeard was. But on the other side, could a five year old do that?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 20, 2017 2:40 pm  #275

tonnaree wrote:

There is one thing no one has mentioned.  Mark and Steven went all the way back to the beginning.  To the day Sherlock and John met.  How they came together and grew and changed each other into the team they would become.  I don't believe anyone has ever done that before.

You are right, but they did it like, 6 years ago. I was thinking about something more recent...

Re: "drowned Redbeard"
I figure poor Victor spent quite a while in that well and then at some point Eurus checked on him and he wasn't above water anymore

-----

January 20, 2017 4:37 pm  #276

ewige wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I think they are fully expecting not to go into a S 5.
But they've allowed for the possibility.
Setting up the scenario where the boys would just carry on solving crimes together.

I agree they don't count on S5.
What would be so special about them solving crimes together? It's been done over and over again. Sherlock's and John's growth as characters was what was so interesting about this version. Since they have been now declared all grown up, I honestly don't see much left to do there.

I do!

First, it's clear from the way that TLD was presented that John still has his own issues.  (I don't believe that it's simply his grief over Rosie's death or even simply his mistaken belief that Sherlock was responsible for her death that caused him to become so violent toward him.)  Sherlock and Mycroft have more or less resolved their issues, but John has not.  Another season is needed so that John can resolve his.  Check this article out, and you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://esterbrook.tumblr.com/post/104562523718/something-has-been-niggling-at-the-back-of-my-mind

Second, Sherlock has accepted John (and probably Rosie) as family, but Mycroft, to my knowledge, has not.  I think it's time that Mycroft and the elder Holmeses did the same.  (Both of these things would make for great further character development before the show ends for good.)

Third, it's canon that Mary dies--I was expecting her death for that reason--but it is not canon that Dr. Watson raises a child as a single father.  To return to canon, something is going to have to be done with Rosie.  Since nothing was done with her in Season 4, a Season 5 will have to be produced for that to take place.

And last--Sherlock has been in the hospital twice, fighting for his life, but John has not.  I think it should be his turn to do the same! =)

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 20, 2017 11:50 pm)

January 20, 2017 5:02 pm  #277

I don't think he'll ever get the chance now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 20, 2017 6:20 pm  #278

kgreen20 wrote:

I do!

First, it's clear from the way that TLD was presented that John still has his own issues.  (I don't believe that it's simply his grief over Rosie's death or even simply his mistaken belief that Sherlock was responsible for her death that caused him to become so violent toward him.)  Sherlock and Mycroft have more or less resolved their issues, but John has not.  Another season is needed so that John can resolve his.  Check this article out, and you'll see what I'm talking about:

http://esterbrook.tumblr.com/post/104562523718/something-has-been-niggling-at-the-back-of-my-mind

Second, Sherlock has accepted John (and probably Rosie) as family, but Mycroft, to my knowledge, has not.  I think it's time that Mycroft and the elder Holmeses did the same.  Both of these things would make for great further character development before the show ends for good.

Third, it's canon that Mary dies--I was expecting her death for that reason--but it is not canon that Dr. Watson raises a child as a single father.  To return to canon, something is going to have to be done with Rosie.  Since nothing was done with her in Season 4, a Season 5 will have to be produced for that to take place.

And last--Sherlock has been in the hospital twice, fighting for his life, but John has not.  I think it should be his turn to do the same! =)

As Martin says, the show's called "Sherlock" and not "John". Sherlock has completed his development. Game over.
I'm not saying I wouldn't be interested in the things you mention. I'm just saying they won't justify an extra season of "Sherlock".

-----

January 20, 2017 6:36 pm  #279

ewige wrote:

kgreen20 wrote:

I do!

Second, Sherlock has accepted John (and probably Rosie) as family, but Mycroft, to my knowledge, has not.  I think it's time that Mycroft and the elder Holmeses did the same.  Both of these things would make for great further character development before the show ends for good.

As Martin says, the show's called "Sherlock" and not "John". Sherlock has completed his development. Game over.
I'm not saying I wouldn't be interested in the things you mention. I'm just saying they won't justify an extra season of "Sherlock".

Johnlock would.

Last edited by Schmiezi (January 20, 2017 6:36 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2017 6:38 pm  #280

Schmiezi wrote:

Johnlock would.

Well, yes. But they have literally dangled the three Garridebs. I think the moment is gone.

-----

Board footera