BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2017 9:32 pm  #181

Re: Questions about TFP

Oh yes and of course we know Jim was out and about at that time, because we saw him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2017 9:35 pm  #182

besleybean wrote:

@Punch me THAT is what I referred to as my new favourite line, on the first impressions thread.
I thought something very rude about it, which I couldn't possibly type on this forum!.

​Ah, I hadn't seen your post! Well, so i hadn't misunderstood it then

​I don't ship Mycroft/Moriarty (well, it had never crossed my mind before actually, lol) but when he said that, I thought "That was hot!"  and I had a dirty picture in mind.
​Well, it's not the first time Jim acted "subjectively" (ie his body language in TAB) but still, it took me by surprise, above all because he sounded serious when he asked.

Just like old times...

January 17, 2017 9:38 pm  #183

To be honest I guess that's the kind of playful character Moriarty is...he was supposed to have pretended to be gay and he 'went out' with Molly...but heck he is SO sexy with Sherlock in TAB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2017 9:38 pm  #184

I think pretty much everything Moriarty said in TFP was some kind of sexual innuendo... but then again... I have a twisted mind. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2017 9:39 pm  #185

Oh no, I think it was fairly explicit and deliberate...wonder if Mark wrote those scenes?!

January 17, 2017 10:05 pm  #186

Moriarty's lines are always ambiguous. I'll go for the sexual implications as well in TFP. He was very funny, he really knows how to make everybody uncomfortable. 

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 17, 2017 10:07 pm  #187

I think it's just the way Moriarty plays it.  Even his interaction with Eurus was kind of sexual. 

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think Sherlock knew that Eurus would stop him killing himself.  He had already seen what happened when somebody killed themselves instead of playing by the rules (the governer killed himself, and so Eurus killed his wife), so he would have known it would mean that the girl on the plane wouldn't be saved, and possibly John and Mycroft would be killed too, once Eurus had lost her playmate.  So I don't think he would have done it - unless he was certain she was would stop him. 

Yes, I think John knew Eurus was Elizabeth but it didn't really matter then - he'd been attracted to a nice girl on the bus.  Eurus was physically attractive but completely scary in other ways. 

January 17, 2017 10:13 pm  #188

Liberty wrote:

I think it's just the way Moriarty plays it.  Even his interaction with Eurus was kind of sexual. 

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think Sherlock knew that Eurus would stop him killing himself.  He had already seen what happened when somebody killed themselves instead of playing by the rules (the governer killed himself, and so Eurus killed his wife), so he would have known it would mean that the girl on the plane wouldn't be saved, and possibly John and Mycroft would be killed too, once Eurus had lost her playmate.  So I don't think he would have done it - unless he was certain she was would stop him. 

Yes, I think John knew Eurus was Elizabeth but it didn't really matter then - he'd been attracted to a nice girl on the bus.  Eurus was physically attractive but completely scary in other ways. 

Was it ever mentioned that Sherlock found out that the woman John "cheated" with was Eurus? He said she had been John's therapist and obviously that she had acted as Faith but I don't think he mentioned her being the woman John flirted with. Wonder how he took that when he found out. 

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 17, 2017 10:16 pm  #189

TheOtherOne wrote:

Sherlock killed Magnussen on Christmas Day 2014. The events of season 4, with Mary giving birth etc. must follow straight on from S3 story line, which means the show is currently in 2015. "Christmas 5 years ago" would have been 2010. That was the night of the Christmas party in 221B when Sherlock discovered Irene's phone on the mantlepiece (and her fake death).

According to CAM Sherlock was dead 2010-2013. So was not it rather Christmas 2009 ?

January 17, 2017 10:31 pm  #190

Preceja wrote:

TheOtherOne wrote:

Sherlock killed Magnussen on Christmas Day 2014. The events of season 4, with Mary giving birth etc. must follow straight on from S3 story line, which means the show is currently in 2015. "Christmas 5 years ago" would have been 2010. That was the night of the Christmas party in 221B when Sherlock discovered Irene's phone on the mantlepiece (and her fake death).

According to CAM Sherlock was dead 2010-2013. So was not it rather Christmas 2009 ?

No. That's 2011-2013

January 17, 2017 10:33 pm  #191

Lis, I'm sure John told Sherlock after Eurus revealed herself.   Why wouldn't he?  He believed in the girl in the bus, and Sherlock believed in "Faith" - I don't think there was any need for John to feel bad about being fooled.

January 17, 2017 10:48 pm  #192

Liberty wrote:

Lis, I'm sure John told Sherlock after Eurus revealed herself.   Why wouldn't he?  He believed in the girl in the bus, and Sherlock believed in "Faith" - I don't think there was any need for John to feel bad about being fooled.

Oh yeah I don't doubt that John would have told Sherlock and I don't think he would have felt the need to hide or be ashamed of it, it's just we didn't see it on screen, or mentioned on screen, and I wondered how the conversation would have gone. "Oh by the way the woman I flirted with was your sister...I don't txt her anymore..." 

Last edited by Lis (January 17, 2017 10:50 pm)

January 17, 2017 10:49 pm  #193

Lis wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Oh yeah I don't doubt that John would have told Sherlock or that he should have felt the need to hide or be ashamed of it, it's just we didn't see it on screen and I wondered how the conversation would go. "Oh by the way the woman I flirted with was your sister...I don't txt her anymore..." 

Haha, that's funny.

Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 17, 2017 11:04 pm  #194

And before John (speaking with dead Mary) was ashamed that he still wanted more then texting. Moral dilema solved - I am sure he does not want any more.

Interesting way how to deal with cheating man. How quickly would  they change their mind if their idol shows to be a mad killing maniac.

Last edited by Preceja (January 17, 2017 11:06 pm)

January 17, 2017 11:13 pm  #195

I think we all agree that John should stop dating right now and be happy with Sherlock, hahaha. An ex-assassin, a psychopath... What would be next? 

January 17, 2017 11:20 pm  #196

Poor John and his "Is everyone I've ever met a psychopath?" 

January 18, 2017 12:42 am  #197

Naavy wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Do John and Rosie live at 221b at the end?

I believe, they are on the visit..

kgreen20 wrote:

Naavy wrote:

I really liked Sherlock's interaction with Archie, and I would be happy to see Archie in the fourth season too. Though there was no place or time to bring him back to the story, i imagine, the next child character could work pretty good too. And, taking into account, that John is the lonely parent now, a nanny (or nannies) as the next new character(s) could be the interesting part of the new season too.
Nannies could take care of 3 or 5 or 7 years old Rosie. And let's add Sherlock, deducing the new nannies, or disguised criminals ;) and new threats - there could be the great variety of new opportunities :D

Not a bad idea, but who would pay the nanny's salary?  John can't afford to, since he's not rich, so the Holmeses would have to do so. 

He is the retired soldier, who was shot - he surely gets some money because it. And he works. But, what is more important - Mary was the "agent"- assassin, I believe she was good paid for it, and surely preserved some money. 

Crossposting, Preceja, but we think the same way

But as John told Mike Stamford, he can't afford London on an army pension.  That's why he had to get a flat share, to begin with.  Even less can he afford to use his pension to pay a nanny.

January 18, 2017 1:05 am  #198

Liberty wrote:

ewige wrote:

@Liberty,

I can only wonder how much your nurseries cost, then O.o But still, that means even less cash at the end of the month to be renting a house too.

The discussion is relevant for the question whether John moves to 221b or not. Which is apparently the new JL debate now (for me, at least) because of the implications of such a move

Oh, by saying it wasn't relevant, I didn't mean that it shouldn't be discussed!   Just that I don't believe it's actually "written in" to the story.   We're not meant to be working out John's take home pay, death in service benefits, rents and nursery fees or so on and then coming to a conclusion (even if it's fun to do so!).  It's kind of fantasy - and it's just as fantastical that Molly could just give up her job for a while to provide childcare (yes, it's possible, with very understanding employers that she could use up her annual leave and then take leave of absence ... but presumably without pay, and Molly's pay would be higher than the cost of a childminder).  I don't honestly think this is meant to be an issue.   We saw in TLD that Rosie can be cared for by "friends", leaving John free to both work and go off on adventures, so I don't think they're trying to flag up for us that this is an issue. 

If they did move to 221B, Rosie could share John's bedroom for quite a while (some families do have to live in one room!), and/or John could sleep in the living room. 

But in the books, I don't think John was always living at Baker Street, so it would be quite possible for them to continue without him being resident. 

We'll see, if we ever do get to S5! 

In the books, John wasn't a single father, either.

January 18, 2017 5:44 am  #199

kgreen20 wrote:

But as John told Mike Stamford, he can't afford London on an army pension.  That's why he had to get a flat share, to begin with.  Even less can he afford to use his pension to pay a nanny.

That was quite some time ago. Sherlock and John have likely been paid to solve many cases since then, including £25,000 from Sebastian Wilkes, which as partners, I'm sure they shared. Also, he wasn't employed when he met Stamford; he's had his job as a doctor (on and off at least) for all these years. I don't think he's broke like he was back then. John and Mary must have had a bit of money saved, I'm thinking about that expensive wedding!

Last edited by Meretricious (January 18, 2017 5:52 am)

January 18, 2017 7:07 am  #200

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Why did she have the tranq darts set up around the room if she didn't totally expect it? ( Sherlock shooting himself )

I think most of the rooms are equipped with the ability to remotely fire tranquilliser darts, just look at the walls full of little holes. Probably part of the prison system to control the dangerous inmates.

Last edited by Meretricious (January 18, 2017 7:08 am)

Board footera