BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2017 3:44 pm  #141

Re: Questions about TFP

Schmiezi wrote:

Kae Em wrote:

ewige wrote:

We see no indication for that. I don't think he could afford a house and child care at the same time. Besides, even Mary calls them her 221b Baker Street boys. They are both living there now.

I agree. John definitly still had his own flat/house when he received Mary's DVD, but I also understood the last montage in a way that later, they were both living at 221b Baker Street again.

I see it that way too. :-)

Agreed.  And you don't think Sherlock would be willing to make 221b safe for Rosie?!?!?  It's already obvious he adores her.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2017 3:49 pm  #142

@Liberty,

I can only wonder how much your nurseries cost, then O.o But still, that means even less cash at the end of the month to be renting a house too.

The discussion is relevant for the question whether John moves to 221b or not. Which is apparently the new JL debate now (for me, at least) because of the implications of such a move

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 3:50 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 17, 2017 3:57 pm  #143

Ok, I looked it up. London prices are about GBP 280 a week full time.
For this money you can have two au-pairs (because you'll need two with the working hours limit of 20 hours) and you can sort of feed them, but not really well

Ergo: a nursery is more affordable. And John doesn't need a house anymore and can live in 221b.
Besides, we don't know if John and Mary's house even has one extra bedroom (let alone two - the au-pairs don't bunk together).

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 3:59 pm)

-----

January 17, 2017 4:00 pm  #144

But John and Rosie moving to Baker Street is not a matter of financial benefits, but of home.  John belongs at Baker Street.  Rosie belongs with John.  Sherlock loves them both.  John wants to be there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2017 4:02 pm  #145

tonnaree wrote:

But John and Rosie moving to Baker Street is not a matter of financial benefits, but of home.  John belongs at Baker Street.  Rosie belongs with John.  Sherlock loves them both.  John wants to be there.

Elegant argumentation

-----

January 17, 2017 4:13 pm  #146

ewige wrote:

@Liberty,

I can only wonder how much your nurseries cost, then O.o But still, that means even less cash at the end of the month to be renting a house too.

The discussion is relevant for the question whether John moves to 221b or not. Which is apparently the new JL debate now (for me, at least) because of the implications of such a move

Oh, by saying it wasn't relevant, I didn't mean that it shouldn't be discussed!   Just that I don't believe it's actually "written in" to the story.   We're not meant to be working out John's take home pay, death in service benefits, rents and nursery fees or so on and then coming to a conclusion (even if it's fun to do so!).  It's kind of fantasy - and it's just as fantastical that Molly could just give up her job for a while to provide childcare (yes, it's possible, with very understanding employers that she could use up her annual leave and then take leave of absence ... but presumably without pay, and Molly's pay would be higher than the cost of a childminder).  I don't honestly think this is meant to be an issue.   We saw in TLD that Rosie can be cared for by "friends", leaving John free to both work and go off on adventures, so I don't think they're trying to flag up for us that this is an issue. 

If they did move to 221B, Rosie could share John's bedroom for quite a while (some families do have to live in one room!), and/or John could sleep in the living room. 

But in the books, I don't think John was always living at Baker Street, so it would be quite possible for them to continue without him being resident. 

We'll see, if we ever do get to S5!

January 17, 2017 4:21 pm  #147

Again, totally not having anything to do with the current convo but

When looking back, his thumb was not bleeding when he pulled out the sword or when facing the clown, i still can't pinpoint the cause 

(i don't know why i'm so intrigued by this small occurrence xD)

January 17, 2017 4:21 pm  #148

ewige wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Elegant argumentation

Absolutely. Love outweights practicability.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 17, 2017 4:22 pm  #149

@Liberty,
I know... I just need something to apply my deduction skills to, now that there's no need to deduct JL anymore

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 4:25 pm)

-----

January 17, 2017 4:24 pm  #150

Kiara_Katsura wrote:

When looking back, his thumb was not bleeding when he pulled out the sword or when facing the clown, i still can't pinpoint the cause 

I have noticed that too. However it's a dorsal scratch (it that the correct word? I mean it's not on the inside, fleshy side of the thumb but on its other side). I don't think Mycroft could cut himself on his sword like that. Maybe he caught his hand on the landing when running around.

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 4:26 pm)

-----

January 17, 2017 4:30 pm  #151

ewige wrote:

Kiara_Katsura wrote:

I have noticed that too. However it's a dorsal scratch (it that the correct word? I mean it's not on the inside, fleshy side of the thumb but on its other side). I don't think Mycroft could cut himself on his sword like that. Maybe he caught his hand on the landing when running around.

Do you think it was on purpose, or do you think Mark legit hurt himself and no one noticed, and possibly when they did, they decided to leave it?

January 17, 2017 4:32 pm  #152

Oh my, I haven't even considered it to be RL!
I think Mark hurting himself accidentally can be a good explanation for the cut. Mycroft didn't really do anything to justify it.
Maybe it's a good question for the next convention

Last edited by ewige (January 17, 2017 4:32 pm)

-----

January 17, 2017 5:56 pm  #153

I noticed the cut, too.
Poor Mark 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2017 7:35 pm  #154

Kiara_Katsura wrote:

ewige wrote:

Kiara_Katsura wrote:

Do you think it was on purpose, or do you think Mark legit hurt himself and no one noticed, and possibly when they did, they decided to leave it?

I noticed it as well! But only when he tried to use the gun, I think, I can't remember clearly. Please, someone ask him the next time he answers questions anywhere.

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 17, 2017 7:37 pm  #155

We'll have to draw up a new list of questions, now.
Most of the old ones have been answered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2017 8:13 pm  #156

tonnaree wrote:

Agreed.  And you don't think Sherlock would be willing to make 221b safe for Rosie?!?!?  It's already obvious he adores her.  

He is willing but not able , I am afraid. There are too many dangerous things, too few room where to lock them, I give her month before first dangerous situation. 
I know au-pair just from the other side, have several friends that were in Britain as au-pairs and the families did not seemed to have  extraordinary income, usually man with a good work (but John has a good work, too) wife at home or doing only some minor work, charity. But it was some time ago.

January 17, 2017 8:14 pm  #157

Was the strange fridge room from T6T  explained somehow later? 

January 17, 2017 8:18 pm  #158

Dunno, if it really needs explaining...just a basement kitchen, I think.

January 17, 2017 8:22 pm  #159

Or part of Mycroft's mindpalace... but yeah... don't know 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2017 8:23 pm  #160

Oh know I think it's entirely real.
Why wouldn't it be?
Since when has Mycroft done MP?

Board footera