BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2017 11:11 am  #161

Re: The Final Problem: First impressions

Swanpride wrote:

*sigh* honestly, this was bad enough when I liked the addition of Mary and everyone else didn't. Now I didn't like something about the show for a change (I seem to be always out of step with the majority here when it comes to stuff like this), and I have to walking around on eggshells over here because of something some people on tumblr apparently did. Or whatever. It really takes the fun out of things.....

I encourage you not to walk on eggshells. I hope people who loved the episode can take your honest opinion and not feel like you offended them with it.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 16, 2017 11:12 am  #162

Just one last thing... it was never about what was said, it was about how. 

I'll walk away from this, because I know I'm only contributing to what I'm so against. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 16, 2017 11:12 am  #163

I haven't seen any nastiness in this forum, but then again I haven't read every post either. I will say, though, that the negativity is getting to me and I am considering taking a break from this forum (and from Tumblr) and go somewhere else.

That is not to say that people shouldn't be allowed to share their opinions of the episode, and of course it's fine to dislike it. It's just that it will lead to me going somewhere else as a natural consequence, because I want to surround myself with and share my thoughts with other people who enjoyed the episode. That's what a fan forum is to me.

There are already two separate threads on this episode for people stating they didn't like the episode. Perhaps I should take a break and come back when the dust has settled. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 11:21 am  #164

Discussions only between fans who have the same opinion? That isn't an exchange of pros and cons then... which is the meaning of a discussion for me. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2017 11:26 am  #165

gently69 wrote:

Discussions only between fans who have the same opinion? That isn't an exchange of pros and cons then... which is the meaning of a discussion for me. 

I agree - that would made a discussion forum into an echo chamber and that would make it quite boring in the long run, IMHO.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 16, 2017 11:26 am  #166

But I am not necessarily that interested in discussing whether we liked the episode or not - what's there to discuss, it's a matter of different opinions? I would love to discuss the details with people who also enjoyed it. Just as before, we might have had different viewpoints and perspectives on scenes, characters and details, but at least we shared a common ground of actually liking the show.

Not saying anything is right or wrong, that is just my personal view on what I am looking for as a fan.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 16, 2017 11:28 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 11:29 am  #167

Yeah, I am a bit confused also. I offered to take my criticism to other threads, which I did in fact do (my last post in this thread was about crew and not negative at all in fact) and in following this thread I haven't seen anything out of place. Just normal criticism. I am NOT a tumblr or twitterer or whatever those are called now, but I think some of that is seeping into some folks perspectives and maybe getting mixed up, at least from those who frequent those places. I like this forum because it is engaging and not whacky, like those social media sites    

January 16, 2017 11:29 am  #168

I don't know what's going on, but can I say, this always felt like the one not-censored place where every opinion was welcome and diversity was a treat not a problem. I love this forum for it. Still do.
But I can relate. E.g. I have always liked TBB, and it got loads of criticism. Yet... there were so many other episodes where I could easily relate to the same people that didn't share my opinion on that single one.
Why not keep to first impressions here, that obviously can be good or bad, because we aren't all the same. I think I can embrace any emotional first response to a Sherlock episode, because, you aren't disappointed if you don't love something to pieces, too.
(I can say for myself: I didn't like this episode, but GOD DO I LOVE BBC SHERLOCK!! Isn't that enough?)
And then we can hop over to another thread where we can mingle with like-minded people and celebrate - or mourn ;-)
I can only speak for myself, but because this episode has this feeling of being a conclusion of sorts, my feelings are all over the place. If I cannot put them here, then where?

Last edited by Whisky (January 16, 2017 11:31 am)

"It is what it is."

January 16, 2017 11:50 am  #169

I don't think I express myself very well.

You can put your opinion here. And you should. No matter what that opinion are. To use an old saying - it's not you, it's me.

None of you guys are doing anything wrong, it's me who's a bit sensitive to this. I am always excited and fangirling when I've seen an episode, and when I go to a place where I think I can share that fangirling and squealing with others, and am met with more sombre tones, it's like someone just popped my balloon. 

When you have a glass of champagne in one hand and is wearing a party hat, you don't want to go to a funeral. To use a bad metaphor. 

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 11:57 am  #170

Yitzock wrote:

I watched the episode with four other girls from my university in our residence TV room and....WOW.  I'm still processing.

There was a lot of shocking stuff here.  At the beginning, I wasn't sure I was liking what was happening, but in the end I ended up feeling like it was good, so I think that's what matters.  Once it got going, I was completely entranced in the ride.

When we were in Sherrinford, I was thinking "Hm...this is scary and it's exciting but why do mentally ill people have to be scary villains?"  But I think the point in the end was that compassion can help, that treating them in a cold and inhuman way can make them the villains.  Sherlock eventually showed compassion for his sister.  Maybe if we are all shown compassion, some caring, we don't have to feel the need to lash out at each other.

And can I just say I really liked the ending, when they're back at Baker Street.  It pulled on my heart in the best way.  We love our boys and their adventures.  I liked how she called them that, our boys, after we, and Mrs. Hudson, have already been calling them that.  

I like how they were able to get Moriarty into this.  Even though he's evil and creepy, when he first appeared in the episode, the five of us watching the episode together were all laughing.  Moriarty is great, as evil as he is.  That's what a great villain is all about - Andrew Scott is great to watch as Moriarty.  It was nice to have him incorporated, while still knowing that there's no clever explanation - he really is dead, and that was never a lie.

I have to go to bed soon, since I have to get up early for class tomorrow morning, but I will try to get into the discussions a bit before then.  I need to try and wind down somehow.  I was shaking for a lot of the episode and I think inside I'm still vibrating.

Dear, methinks thou art a nurse, or counselor, or a teacher...the way that you summarized bits here!  Your comments are clear & concise on the events.
Spoken with respect, your explanations and insight shed light on a growing, creeping darkness threatening to engulf us all! 🎭

"He's cluing for looks" ~ fave quote to date!
Cracks me up always!

January 16, 2017 12:03 pm  #171

Mod note: My feeling is that this thread is for first impressions of TFP, which includes both negative and positive first impressions.  Everybody can post their first impression, positive or negative, and shouldn't need to defend it.

I'm aware that there is unpleasantness on other sites, so I think we need to make an effort to not let it seep over here, and to keep this as our safe place.  It's difficult to come here full of enthusiasm for what might be the last episode, to find people tearing it to pieces.  And it's also difficult to have anticipated this episode for years and feel that you should love it, only to be disappointed and feel let down.  It's a divisive episode, and it's easy for both sides to feel hurt because our views don't coincide.  We have to come to terms with that. 

I see that a couple of people have started threads for negative opinions about TFP, and those might be good places to vent for those who were disappointed, after our initial discussion here.

Thank you all for being polite and respectful to each other.

Last edited by Liberty (January 16, 2017 12:09 pm)

January 16, 2017 12:06 pm  #172

Vhanja wrote:

I don't think I express myself very well.

You can put your opinion here. And you should. No matter what that opinion are. To use an old saying - it's not you, it's me.

None of you guys are doing anything wrong, it's me who's a bit sensitive to this. I am always excited and fangirling when I've seen an episode, and when I go to a place where I think I can share that fangirling and squealing with others, and am met with more sombre tones, it's like someone just popped my balloon. 

When you have a glass of champagne in one hand and is wearing a party hat, you don't want to go to a funeral. To use a bad metaphor. 

But that thread is called "First impressions". A place for "all" impressions, isn't it? If you want just the "fitting" way then open up a related thread and I am sure that a lot of like minded People will join you.

Edit: Oh, Liberty was faster.

Last edited by gently69 (January 16, 2017 12:08 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2017 12:11 pm  #173

gently69 wrote:

But that thread is called "First impressions". A place for "all" impressions, isn't it?

Yes, it is. That's what I've been trying to say for a couple of posts now. 

Anyway, this is off topic.

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2017 12:13 pm  #174

Vhanja, Liberty put it right. We leave it with that.

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2017 12:24 pm  #175

Adding my first impression as well. I understand where the disappointment comes from. Me personally, I liked the episode, I really enjoyed it, some parts were really thrilling, but I didn't LOVE it, I just felt it was OK, it was good, and that makes me sad. The whole season was fine, not "absolutely amazing" but enjoyable, I really loved some aspects of it, TLD was great, I'll definitely watch all three episodes many times, but I don't know, it's hard not to be disappointed, at least a little, because I kind of expected more, I expected TV history. I guess my expectations were ridiculously high.

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

January 16, 2017 12:28 pm  #176

I´m still so glad they didn´t kill any of the major characters off. Was really scared for Molly and Mycroft for a while.

January 16, 2017 12:34 pm  #177

Also, after years of kicking Sherlock down for his alleged childishness, they declared him "the most mature one".... it made me feel chuffed to bits.

January 16, 2017 12:37 pm  #178

Yes, I loved that bit!  What a surprise!  And you realise that some of Mycroft's supposed superiority is posturing.  Although I did think Mycroft was a sweetheart in this episode. 

January 16, 2017 1:56 pm  #179

Well, my first or rather second impressions (have just re-watched it) is that I liked - not loved it. There are some things that bother me and although is was enjoyable it also felt a bit over the top. I think it is related to the whole series and to the impression I already had after the 3rd one: there are so many things crammed in just 3 episodes it feels a bit too much.
I've got an impression 3rd and 4th seasons would work far better as 6 sixty minutes episodes.

January 16, 2017 3:01 pm  #180

...It took me longer to read this topic, then to watch the episode!...

Mofftiss obviously like the contradictions, this time they were able to create the really big one - TFP is IMO the same time really-not-that-good series episode (or movie), and the prefect series ending.

If the production of "Sherlock" is to be resumed - it can happen any day, tomorrow, or in 10 years. If this is the last episode, no one can say, that there are some important explanations missing, or many unresolved plots left. Mary even said us, what we should think about the series in future. Very clever!
But the episode itself is very patchy, there are really brilliant scenes, and terribly failed ones too.
And - this is not "Sherlock" style. This is a thriller. There are many thrillers, and only one "Sherlock". I am lucky to like thrillers For me it is not as good episode, as TLD, but much better, than T6T.

Random remarks
- The episode itself should be called not "Sherlock", but "Mycroft" - he seems sometimes to be the more important character. Basically, it works, only, unfortunately, the half of Mycroft's screen time is talking, talking, talking... Althrough all the crew made their best, to make retrospective scenes attractive to the viewers, still, they are too long (I believe, this season should take longer - 5 or 6 episodes. There are to many plots, too much to say, and not enough time left to simply let the viewers have fun). 
- Moriarty as the memory is one of the best parts of the episode. But the recorded, tick-tocking "prompts to create an atmosphere of urgency" are just to gimmicky, and mostly irritating.
- Sherlock in the grey beanie looks unbelievably alien.
- Sherlock, saying Molly "I love you" sounded very honestly. I do not mean necessarily the romantic love, but just a bit of Sherlolly in the end would be not a bad thing.

- I would like this episode to happen before Mary's death. How would they act, if she were with Sherlock, Mycroft and John?... *devilish laughter*

EDIT:
I forgot to add: ewige was right - Eurus is not 100% evil.
She is also lost, and strange thing about her: what she did, was horrific. But in the end her actions did help Sherlock to wake up his humanity again. This is the good part.

Last edited by Naavy (January 16, 2017 5:56 pm)

Board footera