BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2017 9:52 am  #1

Wanted Sherlock to help Eurus escape?

Hi everyone!

I am intersted if I am the only one who wished at the end Sherlock would help Eurus escape from Sherrinford while watching "The Final Problem"? Especially the scenes when Sherlock started visiting Eurus in her cell to play the violin together. I am a bit disapointed it didn't happen.
I understand that Eurus is dangerous. But I also feel very sorry for her. Being a little girl, not aware how to cope with her intellect, sent away from home at an early age, and kept imprisoned for the entire life. Probably she felt betrayed by her family. Hard to imagine how she felt.
I mean Sherlock helped Irene Adler escape death and set her free. Whilst she is a very dangerous person as well. Furthermore, Eurus is family. I hoped Sherlock would get her out of Sherrinford and help her rehabilitate. I am a bit relieved by the fact that the family began visitting Eurus. But still. 
Does anyone feel the same? Or am I nutts? Please share your thoughts.

January 16, 2017 10:01 am  #2

Re: Wanted Sherlock to help Eurus escape?

Being a little girl, she already drowned the little Victor in the well and bunt her family house to the ground.
I hoped Sherlock would poison her since she was shown as the most digusting mass murderer ever - Culverton Smith from the last ep seemed like a likebale person in comparison with her.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 16, 2017 10:07 am  #3

I don't feel the same for some reason. I know she murdered. But I think she just needed help and better supervision by her family growing up. Maybe they could've avoided a lot of deaths.

January 16, 2017 10:08 am  #4

Irene blackmailed people and did that partly for her own protection, Euros is a manipulative, crazy mass murderer, incapable of feeling remorse or any find of emapthy, who tried to make him shoot his own brother hours before. Why would he want to free her? He pities her in the end, but not enough to forget that she is still dangerous.

"It takes very special qualities to devote one's life to problems with no attainable solutions and to poking around in dead people's garbage: Words like 'masochistic', 'nosy,' and 'completely batty' spring to mind."
Paul Bahn. 1989. Bluff Your Way in Archaeology.

January 16, 2017 10:09 am  #5

I'm in two minds about this. 

The problem, I think, is that she is probably too damaged by her imprisonment to be out in the real world by now. I mean, the world must be terrifying for her when she spent so much of her life in a confined, clean room. Especially with her mental illness. 

I gathered she is schizophrenic (I still need to rewatch with subtitles, because of my hearing I missed some things) and in my experiences with my friend; what she's told me and what I've read about it... a big deal about it is that you feel and experience things though a faulty filter. You basically get hit with everything at once and you can't filter your emotions. 

And imagine you haven't been part of the real world for most of your life... and being put into the real world. What is that going to do to you? It must be devastating for her. 

On the other hand, I am personally against 'locking up' people with mental illnesses. As Sherlock himself found; meeting them with kindness and understanding is a much better road to take. And it's how she should have been treated from the start. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 16, 2017 10:09 am  #6

I think he knows she is too dangerous to set free, and wouldn't want her to be.  But he shows compassion and connects with her, playing the violin together. 

Phantom, they said she was psychotic, but she didn't seem psychotic in the classic sense.   I don't feel she was meant to fit with any particular mental illness.   It seems she was damaged from an early age, but it didn't seem to be due to early experiences (apparently loving parents, etc.).  I don't think they've gone too deeply into what was actually "wrong" with her ... just that she's incredibly dangerous and sadistic, but wants to be loved.

Last edited by Liberty (January 16, 2017 10:15 am)

January 16, 2017 10:14 am  #7

Ichneumon wrote:

Irene blackmailed people and did that partly for her own protection, Euros is a manipulative, crazy mass murderer, incapable of feeling remorse or any find of emapthy, who tried to make him shoot his own brother hours before. Why would he want to free her? He pities her in the end, but not enough to forget that she is still dangerous.

Adler also cooperated with Moriarty, leaking the info to him pertaining to a mass terror attack on the plane.

January 16, 2017 10:18 am  #8

Liberty wrote:

I think he knows she is too dangerous to set free, and wouldn't want her to be.  But he shows compassion and connects with her, playing the violin together. 

Phantom, they said she was psychotic, but she didn't seem psychotic in the classic sense.   I don't feel she was meant to fit with any particular mental illness.   It seems she was damaged from an early age, but it didn't seem to be due to early experiences (apparently loving parents, etc.).  I don't think they've gone too deeply into what was actually "wrong" with her ... just that she's incredibly dangerous and sadistic, but wants to be loved.

Thank you, I just picked up on 'psychotic' or 'psychosis' and went with it... Mental illness is many things, obviously! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 16, 2017 10:19 am  #9

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I'm in two minds about this. 

The problem, I think, is that she is probably too damaged by her imprisonment to be out in the real world by now. I mean, the world must be terrifying for her when she spent so much of her life in a confined, clean room. Especially with her mental illness. 

I partially agree with you. But it seemed like Eurus adapted to the real world quiet well when she came to Sherlock as Faith and to John as a psychologist. We also don't know how many times she took a detour from Sherrinford before.

January 16, 2017 10:30 am  #10

No, I certainly didn't want Sherlock to free Eurus. That would be a far too risky thing to do. But I loved the way he connected with her, giving her some kind of human and emotional connection that she had missed out on for years. I don't think she can be "cured" or ever be in a state in which she can be released without being a risk for anyone, but maybe this new found connection or this new form of communication through music in some way helps her focusing her abilities on positive, not negative things.

January 16, 2017 10:51 am  #11

I would definitely not want anything like it free. Irene Adler knows how to behave in society, knows how far she can go, for Eurus everything is just a game or scientific experiment. But the way they were dealing with Eurus since childhood seems to me as half of the reason why she does what she does. 

But maybe we do not know everything and till her fake death parents were visiting her, trying to help only did not find any way how to do it. It had to be quite a long time when after the second fire Mycroft was able to arrange everyting, so she might be adult already (were they hiding their visits from Sherlock not to traumatize him even more? ).

January 16, 2017 11:01 am  #12

Preceja wrote:

I would definitely not want anything like it free. Irene Adler knows how to behave in society, knows how far she can go, for Eurus everything is just a game or scientific experiment. But the way they were dealing with Eurus since childhood seems to me as half of the reason why she does what she does. 

But maybe we do not know everything and till her fake death parents were visiting her, trying to help only did not find any way how to do it. It had to be quite a long time when after the second fire Mycroft was able to arrange everyting, so she might be adult already (were they hiding their visits from Sherlock not to traumatize him even more? ).

I believe the parents had been visiting Eurus up to the moment Mycroft said she was dead. They seem like loving parents. Remember how cross they were with Mycroft when they found out that Eurus is alive. Probably their first desire was to visit her, since then we see them all watching Eurus play. 
Sherlock was unaware of any visits most likely. The whole process of him forgetting Eurus is not clear. 

January 17, 2017 10:42 am  #13

What i also thought about is that the conversation between Mycroft and Sherlock about the girl on the plane is a metaphor for Eurus's life. Mycroft opts for making the girl steer the plane away from the city to save people on ground by sacrificing the girl (locking Eurus up in Sherriford to avoid potential casualties). Whilst Sherlock insists that he can help the girl land the plane (He can help Eurus to live in the world and without crashing on the people around).  And it's not a coincidence - "I want to break free" playing as soundrack over Sherrinford. #SetEurusFree!

January 17, 2017 10:53 am  #14

Bankomas wrote:

What i also thought about is that the conversation between Mycroft and Sherlock about the girl on the plane is a metaphor for Eurus's life. Mycroft opts for making the girl steer the plane away from the city to save people on ground by sacrificing the girl (locking Eurus up in Sherriford to avoid potential casualties). Whilst Sherlock insists that he can help the girl land the plane (He can help Eurus to live in the world and without crashing on the people around). And it's not a coincidence - "I want to break free" playing as soundrack over Sherrinford. #SetEurusFree!

I was about to mention this metaphor myself. You summed up my own thoughts on this matter perfectly, I couldn't agree more. Mycroft wasn't equipped to see another option than crashing the plane/scrificing the girl/his sister to avoid casualties. While Sherlock didn't give up on the girl but was convinced that he could save her and avoid casualties at the same time. And he succeeded in a way. Not by freeing her from Sherrinford, but by finding a way for her to communicate her feelings (which must be very different from anything we can imagine, thus her feeling locked in a plane high obove everyone else without any real connection whatsoever to the world) to others in the only way she could, through the violin.

January 17, 2017 11:05 am  #15

I like that metaphor

January 17, 2017 11:22 am  #16

May I go further? 
Playing the violin is like radio conversation - Sherlock can make her express her feelings, feel safer, stop from crashing, and even to preted temporarily, that they are not separated. But she is too far. I believe, she will never be able to land safely. She would kill herself, and many people around. There is no way to free her, except maybe moving into another place like this. Small, isolated tropical island, instead Sherrinford, and nothing more risky.

Last edited by Naavy (January 17, 2017 11:37 am)

January 17, 2017 11:55 am  #17

And they are finally playing together. It is what she wanted in her childhood and maybe has wanted since than. 

January 17, 2017 12:04 pm  #18

Yes, definitely.  Which might help to control her evil impulses (not enough to let her out).  She uses the plane metaphor herself too, and Sherlock even calls it a metaphor.

January 17, 2017 2:44 pm  #19

Kae Em wrote:

No, I certainly didn't want Sherlock to free Eurus. That would be a far too risky thing to do. But I loved the way he connected with her, giving her some kind of human and emotional connection that she had missed out on for years. I don't think she can be "cured" or ever be in a state in which she can be released without being a risk for anyone, but maybe this new found connection or this new form of communication through music in some way helps her focusing her abilities on positive, not negative things.

Wonderful post. I feel the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 17, 2017 6:06 pm  #20

The music might also pacify her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera