BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2017 4:15 am  #1

Redbeard was put to death

As Sherlock hugs Redbeard listen to what he says:

"They're putting me down too now. No fun is it?" 

Theory:
During childhood, Euros caused Redbeard to be in such a bad condition that the only way out was for him to be put to sleep. Poisoned arrows perhaps?

Last edited by Stayin Alive (January 15, 2017 6:34 pm)

I will NEVER fire a gun IN my mouth when I'm planning on Stayin Alive! 

The clue that everyone missed?

January 15, 2017 6:44 am  #2

Re: Redbeard was put to death

Well... Redbeard was Sherlock's family dog, when Sherlock was a little boy. Dogs do not live very long, especially purebred dogs. And putting him down (as we all could hear in HLV) in the end of his life sounds most probable, whatever was a reason. 

January 15, 2017 12:30 pm  #3

Naavy wrote:

Well... Redbeard was Sherlock's family dog, when Sherlock was a little boy. Dogs do not live very long, especially purebred dogs. And putting him down (as we all could hear in HLV) in the end of his life sounds most probable, whatever was a reason. 

A dog's lifespan is 10-13 years. How is that not long? The dog was put down with more than half of his life to spare! No, something dramatic happened for this dog to be so important......and its connected to Euros or Sherringford (if its a person). I'm guessing Redbeard's forced death is what caused young Sherlock to take up investigation and become the antisocial emotionless person he grew up to be. He was so attached to Redbeard that losing him so unnaturally totally drained his emotions. He just had to get to the bottom of what caused him to be put down. He had to investigate it.....alone and undistracted. And so it began...

January 15, 2017 12:39 pm  #4

Well, I don't want to sound horrid or anything, but I'd already suggested this theory!
But thanks for making  a separate thread for the idea.
Although it gave a few of us a real fright to begin with, in view of the Russian leak.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2017 12:47 pm  #5

besleybean wrote:

Well, I don't want to sound horrid or anything, but I'd already suggested this theory!
But thanks for making  a separate thread for the idea.
Although it gave a few of us a real fright to begin with, in view of the Russian leak.

My apologies if this was stated before, but like Moriarty, I've been off the grid stayin alive and decided to make my comeback for the big finale. So didn't get much time to go through the previous posts. But anyways, glad to know that we Sherlockians can share the same theories! Can't wait to see how things play out. Only a few hours left! 

Last edited by Stayin Alive (January 15, 2017 12:47 pm)

January 15, 2017 1:14 pm  #6

Indeed and it makes more sense to have a separate thread.
I think my mention of it is buried among my initial impressions of TLD.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2017 3:03 pm  #7

Stayin Alive wrote:

Naavy wrote:

A dog's lifespan is 10-13 years. How is that not long? The dog was put down with more than half of his life to spare! No, something dramatic happened for this dog to be so important......and its connected to Euros or Sherringford (if its a person). I'm guessing Redbeard's forced death is what caused young Sherlock to take up investigation and become the antisocial emotionless person he grew up to be. He was so attached to Redbeard that losing him so unnaturally totally drained his emotions. He just had to get to the bottom of what caused him to be put down. He had to investigate it.....alone and undistracted. And so it began...

But where are we told, in what age Redbeard died? And about the causes?
BTW Theory about Sherlock, losing Redbeard, was already posted by besleybean, as she already mentioned. 

January 15, 2017 3:05 pm  #8

But I can't be too smug...it was somebody else who suggested that Redbeard may have been poisoned first, as practice for poisoning a person!
Anyway, in about 6 hours we will find out exactly what did happen and why.

January 15, 2017 4:07 pm  #9

I think we've all come up with theories that get reposted by somebody else!  Partly because we love to have our ongoing conversations in our long threads, that nobody coming later could ever have time to read all the way through!  I think it's fine to start new threads if it seems like something needs a topic of its own, but also fine for people to let us know if they had already come up with that particular theory. 

We all already knew Redbeard had been put down, but I too had a bit of a panic when I saw the title of the thread, thinking that by "confirmed" you meant you had seen something in the BFI screening or the leaked version!    I don't know if you can change the title  to something else, just so people like me don't worry? 

January 15, 2017 5:52 pm  #10

Liberty wrote:

I don't know if you can change the title  to something else, just so people like me don't worry? 

I thought long and hard before I created the title. That's why I linked the video where Sherlock mentions that Redbeard had to be put down and how having to endure such treatment was "no fun is it?".

However in all fairness, if we confirm otherwise when the episode is aired, then I will definitely change the title. Typing this and even creating this thread and watching the video has made me a bit emotional, as I know the pain of losing a beloved pet. Moreover, Sherlock having to lose a pet who had to be put down. I guess its true that this season will definitely be very dark and climactic. 

January 15, 2017 5:53 pm  #11

Knowing how Mark is mad on dogs, too.

January 15, 2017 6:13 pm  #12

About changing the title: all I meant was to take the "confirmed" part out for now, so that it doesn't look as if you are giving spoilers from the upcoming episode.   I thought I was going to have to delete the topic and was a little nervous clicking on it.  The trouble is that it's only when you click on it that you see you are talking about what we already know from HLV, rather than a spoiler from TFP!   There's no problem with the rest of the title, or the content - the only problems is the word "confirmed" when we're all getting so nervous about possible spoilers!

If you can't change it, don't worry - it won't matter in a few hours anyway, when TFP has aired. 

I'm sure many/most of us have experienced the loss of a pet.  I'm probably more likely to cry about a pet dying on TV than much more tragic things happening to humans! 

January 15, 2017 6:15 pm  #13

Yep, I still think about my cat who I lost nearly 30 years ago.

January 15, 2017 6:36 pm  #14

Liberty wrote:

About changing the title: all I meant was to take the "confirmed" part out for now, so that it doesn't look as if you are giving spoilers from the upcoming episode.   I thought I was going to have to delete the topic and was a little nervous clicking on it.  The trouble is that it's only when you click on it that you see you are talking about what we already know from HLV, rather than a spoiler from TFP!   There's no problem with the rest of the title, or the content - the only problems is the word "confirmed" when we're all getting so nervous about possible spoilers!

If you can't change it, don't worry - it won't matter in a few hours anyway, when TFP has aired. 

I'm sure many/most of us have experienced the loss of a pet.  I'm probably more likely to cry about a pet dying on TV than much more tragic things happening to humans! 

I hear you. "CONFIRMED" was removed from title.

I wasn't even aware that there was a leak until you guys mentioned it. Only a few more hours to wait though. Oooohhhh the suspense and agony! 

January 15, 2017 6:38 pm  #15

besleybean wrote:

But I can't be too smug...it was somebody else who suggested that Redbeard may have been poisoned first, as practice for poisoning a person!
Anyway, in about 6 hours we will find out exactly what did happen and why.

It'll be later than that here in Oklahoma.  On OETA, the episode won't start until 6:00 Central Standard Time.

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 15, 2017 6:39 pm)

January 15, 2017 6:46 pm  #16

Brit show, Brit time! 

January 15, 2017 7:28 pm  #17

Thank you, Stayin Alive!  And I'm glad you've missed the news about the leak - and hopefully any of the spoilers. 

January 15, 2017 8:16 pm  #18

besleybean wrote:

Yep, I still think about my cat who I lost nearly 30 years ago.

I lost my cat Jesse last July, he was 18 years old. I was devastated and will always miss him 

I can imagine if Eurus did something to Redbeard it would have been very traumatic for young Sherlock.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 16, 2017 6:51 am  #19

Well I've just said on another thread:
I know we had mulled over a few theories.
But a few of us had discussed a Rain man situation, where Redbeard could in fact have been human...I thought Euros herself,  so the big reveal was just heart breaking.

Board footera