BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2017 11:17 pm  #1

Sherlock and Eurus - do they like each other?

The relationship between Sherlock and Eurus in TLD gives me mixed messages.

They seem to genuinely enjoy each other's company during their night stroll. She teases him ("I mean the chips") and he smiles. He explains his deductions to her in a very gentle manner. Later by the river she tells him that she didn't expect him to be "nicer than anyone". It looks that while deceiving him she became actually fond of him - unexpectedly. Can it be that she'd been egged on by Moriarty without having really known Sherlock at all? Who knows what kind of lies she's been exposed to.

In the end Eurus the therapist tells John that she'd spent a night with Sherlock. It sounded extremely suggestive and I have a feeling she wanted to hurt John somehow? And it's not necessarily a johnlocker perspective here. More like, "he didn't even go out of his flat for you but he spent time with me in the end".

So she's warming up towards Sherlock (unexpectedly, perhaps) while hurting John, apparently evading Mycroft and making fun of the names in the family.

I very much want to see more of her warm side because Sherlock seemed to genuinely like her too. But she does seem unhinged! And what will Sherlock say when he finds out she put Jawn in danger...

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 11, 2017 11:22 pm  #2

Re: Sherlock and Eurus - do they like each other?

I think she has been playing a role every time. The coquettish woman on the bus for John, the John copy (gun, cane, running around London, eating together) for Sherlock, the therapist for John. She has been playing them like Irene did with the Holmes boys, another Moriarty parallel btw. 
If the last scene reveals the true Eurus, I fear she is a psychopath who is a very good actor at the same time. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 11, 2017 11:24 pm  #3

Fascinating! While also sad - everybody has to like Sherlock! *pouts*

-----

January 11, 2017 11:27 pm  #4

SusiGo wrote:

I think she has been playing a role every time. The coquettish woman on the bus for John, the John copy (gun, cane, running around London, eating together) for Sherlock, the therapist for John. She has been playing them like Irene did with the Holmes boys, another Moriarty parallel btw. 
If the last scene reveals the true Eurus, I fear she is a psychopath who is a very good actor at the same time. 

Wow, very well put. She impersonated exactly the characters both John and Sherlock needed the most at any particular moment... She can read into people.

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 12, 2017 1:50 am  #5

I do not like her being psychopat  but cannot somehow imagine anything else that would fit to what we suppose to know about her. 

But Sherlock is good with psychopats.

Last edited by Preceja (January 12, 2017 9:12 am)

January 12, 2017 7:50 am  #6

I think she tells John about the night together, because that's what John has heard Sherlock say about Culverton's daughter ("we had chips").  She's revealing her other personas/disguises.   And I agree Susi, that she was creating characters that would appeal to them.  Apart from the cane, her version of Faith is nothing like the real one (not even in dress), but seems more vulnerable, more genuine, oddly enough, and a damsel in distress that Sherlock would want to protect (after failing to protect).   

What's really clever is that I, as a viewer, found fake Faith and E on the bus appealing as a viewer - they were both so likeable!  I was reluctant to believe E was a baddie, even though I knew she had to be in disguise.   So very well played.

January 12, 2017 7:58 am  #7

I know! She's SO likable!!

It's very unlike Sherlock to walk like THAT with somebody.
If Eurus is the villain here, she must be the smartest and the most chilling one yet.

Please, Moftiss, let there be a different method to her madness

-----

January 12, 2017 8:28 am  #8

with what she implied about the fate of the therapist, I fear Eurus is more than just a bit unbalanced. But that does not in itself exclude that she does in fact like Sherlock. As Irene Adler told us, a disguise is always a self-portrait. So not everything about it needs to be fake. Might very well be that she was in fact surprised by Sherlock's warm and caring side. Not surprisingly, if we assume that the only brother she had any contact with in the last years appears to have been Mycroft, who's caring can be quite unsettling for the affected parties. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 12, 2017 9:16 am  #9

Even if it was an act from her side, it looks as if there was genuine warmth between them during that evening:

But with her cold-blooded murder of a therapist, who knows?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 12, 2017 9:21 am  #10

They were preparing her arrival from the beginning, for years. I hope, really hope , that there is much in the story, not just a killing psychopat, nothing is just black and white. Sherlock finally after years starts to show and understand positive emotions. Where they working to this point just to have better means  to ruin him? 

I hope not, hope that something positive is going to arise from this family history both for Sherlock and Mycroft

January 12, 2017 9:30 am  #11

Yes, please!

-----

January 12, 2017 9:41 am  #12

I'll second what Susi said. 

A 'good' psychopath or sociopath are good at playing the 'likable' card... and especially the pity card too. It takes experience to see through their 'acting' and usually they have a lot of people around their finger... 

And well, Sherlock was high... so he was easier to manipulate... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 12, 2017 2:01 pm  #13

I think even if she is crazy or angry at Sherlock she could still have genuine affection for him even if only in fleeting moments. When Sherlock is not looking at her the looks and glances she gives him seem to be  genuinely positive and although they could be an act when Sherlock can't see her there is no reason for her to keep up the facade, as Sherlock often does when he's faking a smile and then loses it as soon as the other person turns away. Her anger and rage may win out but we may still see some fondness of Sherlock from Eurus. He could be someone she loves to hate and hates to love.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 12, 2017 5:53 pm  #14

Good gravy, Sunday has to come quickly. This whole sister thing has distracted me all week!

January 13, 2017 9:44 am  #15

I'd second that. At the moment I think she is completely crazy, maybe liking Sherlock too much - killing Redbeard out of jealousy or something like that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 13, 2017 9:53 am  #16

In the Sussex Vampire the boy tests poison first on the dog and then tries to kill his sibling out of jealousy. they might use something from it. 

Jealousy of children can have any reason but the most often  older kid is jealous of  newborn or some coming newly into the life. Sherlock was old enough to remember something so was it long term or is he adopted? 
Or probably something totally different 

January 13, 2017 5:11 pm  #17

Ooh that is interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2017 6:35 pm  #18

I've been thinking a lot about The Sussex Vampire and I wonder if Sherlock is more likely to the poisoner, as presumably he's older.  It's a while since I read the story, but I seem to remember the mother has remarried, so the younger sibling has a different father.  That couldn't possibly be the case with a younger sibling of Sherlock's as his parents are so clearly his parents, due to the casting!  But also, Sherlock is a chemist (poison). 

I know Eurus putting an act doesn't preclude her genuinely liking Sherlock (and I suspect she might even turn out to be not so evil as it appears), but I'm still bearing in mind that she seems completely genuine as E too, and appears to genuinely like John.  She's just a brilliant actress, so we can't be sure of anything yet.

January 13, 2017 11:55 pm  #19

I really like the idea of 'The Sussex Vampire' and hadn't thought of that! I can definitely see Eurus as the poisoner.  As a child I can see her acting all sweet and adorable but inside she is psychopathic. I can see her poisoning Redbeard until he has to be put down (psychopaths often start by torturing animals) and then attempting to poison Sherlock so that he almost dies.  Maybe she doesn't even hate
him or is jealous of him. Maybe she just can't contain her urges. Hence the decision is to be made to lock her away. Mycroft as the older brother has tried to protect Sherlock ever since, teaching him to repress all emotion and caring.  All of this happens to Sherlock when he is so young that he barely remembers anything.  But even more ironically, maybe because he has all these repressed memories and emotions, he later turns to poisoning himself - only with drugs. 

Oh dear, I'm dying to find out the real story but, at the same time, I don't want the series to end. What  dilemma!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 14, 2017 12:12 am  #20

Maybe it won't.  Maybe, come 2020, there'll be a 5th season!

Board footera