BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 8:43 pm  #1

Could S4 be the last one?

I spent ten minutes searching for a topic with a similar title, but I couldn't find it. I don't know if anybody else already wrote about this, but I need to know your feelings. I hope this is the correct place to start this thread.

I've been thinking S4 could be the very last one of the show for a while. And I'm afraid of it. I don't want Sherlock to end.  But I think they're reaching some kind of an ending. Aren't they trying to close some plots? Things that have been addressed from the very beginning or along the seasons (Sherlock making himself the way he is, burning the heart out of him...) seem to be getting to an end in the next episode.

Plus, Mark and Steven keep on saying that TFP is a real finale. And when asked if the series could end there, they're always ambiguous, as if they didn't want to speak the truth to not spoil the essence of TFP. Benedict said something like "it was the end of and era" and Martin was asked in a recent interview Vhanja posted somewhere (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/podcast-book-club/podcasts/sherlock-martin-freeman-on-john-and-sherlocks-complicated-relationship/) what he would take away from his experience on the show, as if it was already coming to an impending ending.

Besides, there is that title. 'The FINAL Problem'. For God's sake! How else could you name another series finale after that? 'THE VERY END'?

I don't know what to think. I have a bad feeling. I can tell by the pricking of my thumbs... 

Last edited by NicoleCollard (January 9, 2017 9:17 pm)

Sherlock Holmes: I've disappointed you.
John Watson: That's good... that's a good deduction, yeah.
Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 9, 2017 9:37 pm  #2

Re: Could S4 be the last one?

Here you go :http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=7067
Also, relax. In canon, "The final Problem", has been many things, but one thing it has not been: the end.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 9, 2017 9:40 pm  #3

No, but I feel they will have to leave it at a sensible point...Benedict and Martin are just not available, of this I am certain. At least not for a full series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2017 10:11 pm  #4

I would be content with a one-off every now and again. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 9, 2017 10:25 pm  #5

Thanks for the link, Lola Red. I wasn't able to find it. 

I'm still quite scared, but I'm going to believe you.

Sherlock Holmes: Don't make people into heroes, John. Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them.

January 9, 2017 10:38 pm  #6

no problem, we've all been there.

Just get ready for a long hiatus. This is, after all, the fandom that waited

January 10, 2017 6:44 am  #7

But for me this is the point...I think it's more than hiatus. I think it could be the end.
Mark said: we honestly do not know if we will get to make any more.
If it's just Benedict and Martin are busy that's fine...I can live with that.
Also, as Benedict said, if it's right for the story to end: sad, but it maybe has to be.
What bothers me, is that slight nagging doubt at the back of my mind that it's about money.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 12:44 pm  #8

My hopes for series 5 reside in a sentence said by Steven about killing Mary in episode 1 versus episode 3 :

"There was a big debate about wether to kill her in épisode one, instead of more traditionally in episode three at the end of the season. But let's not give ourselves that two years to forget how mad [Sherlock and John] are at each other. Let's do it in a circumstance where we have to come back in a week and make this show work again."

So two years before new episodes ?? I'm certainly OK with that ! 

January 10, 2017 5:28 pm  #9

Well if it was only gonna be two years...why all the big drama from them all going on about: we don't know if there will be any more?

January 10, 2017 5:37 pm  #10

I think he mentioned "two years" as an average wait between the seasons. That must have been very early plotting too because TLD wouldn't be possible at all without that scene in TST.

I thought it was always big drama about every series being possibly the last. It's my first time experiencing it live but they all speak about the end of an era and that sounds pretty definite to me. I have to admit that I want it to be the end with a possibility of a Christman special every now and then: the next wait would kill me for sure.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 10, 2017 5:41 pm  #11

I didn't ever want it to end...but I can't be greedy!

January 10, 2017 9:32 pm  #12

Me, too.  I know it will have to end, eventually, but I hope it will be later rather than sooner.  I interpreted the comments on it being the end of an era as having to do with Mary exiting the show and things being shaken up by that.  Not just a joyride anymore, like how it's "Not a game anymore" according to the trailers? But then, if it doesn't end with this, where will it go from there? Well, I'm sure they can think of something brilliant, but who knows...

Clueing for looks.

January 10, 2017 9:34 pm  #13

I just really think they have all been talking as though this is it.
Mark really did say something like: we 're not being funny, we honestly don' know if we will be doing anymore.

January 10, 2017 9:56 pm  #14

NicoleCollard wrote:

I've been thinking S4 could be the very last one of the show for a while. And I'm afraid of it. I don't want Sherlock to end.  But I think they're reaching some kind of an ending. Aren't they trying to close some plots? Things that have been addressed from the very beginning or along the seasons (Sherlock making himself the way he is, burning the heart out of him...) seem to be getting to an end in the next episode.

Yes, I already wrote somewhere else, that I am really honestly honestly(!!!) fearing the same.
At least we can be afraid together.

But it dosn't help. If we get another season, we will be fearing exactly the same thing again. So it would be better if they end the show at a good point.

All in all, next Sunday night will be terrible. I think we can be sure that we won't get more Sherlock in the next 4,5,6... years.
A tiny bit of me is hoping for the usual Moftiss lies, but I feel I better shouldn't hope for that.

Last edited by Rache (January 10, 2017 9:59 pm)

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

January 10, 2017 9:58 pm  #15

This is my concern.

January 10, 2017 9:58 pm  #16

So I get my fears confirmed. 
Having to wait two years for a new season of Sherlock isn't cool, but not having the hope of it coming is going to be like losing someone...

January 10, 2017 10:12 pm  #17

Nothing is confirmed yet. No 5th season, no end, nothing. For now all we can do is wait for Sunday and hope for the best. 

One thing is true though. Shows can only go down two roads, Stop while they are at their best or continue until they are a shadow of their former self. Sherlock still has quite some seasons in it I believe, but if TPTB would decide to stop it now, they would at least leave the legend of it intact.

Last edited by Lola Red (January 11, 2017 1:19 pm)

January 10, 2017 10:24 pm  #18

That is true, Lola.  As long as Sherlock does not burn out like Seinfeld is known to have done, then we can be happy with that end.

I can only read stuff that's been left for posterity, but if I'm not mistaken, were people not unsure whether series 3 would be the last one after it came out, but then series 4 was confirmed? Maybe we will get the same here.  But of course, we don't know yet.  I like that Martin, Benedict, and the others are getting more roles, and more people appreciating them because of that, but it also makes me sad that that will make it harder for more Sherlock to get made, even if the writers could potentially have more great stories to tell us.  Though of course even if series 4 is the last, doesn't mean they couldn't make another special or a film.

But I'm getting ahead of things with that.  We don't know anything for certain yet.

Clueing for looks.

January 11, 2017 9:21 pm  #19

I really hope I'm wrong, but based on how the story is going, I'm pretty sure S4E3 will be the end of Sherlock. 

January 11, 2017 9:32 pm  #20

Me, too.
Well the show at least, I hope not the character.

Board footera