BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 11, 2017 9:00 pm  #181

Re: First Impressions...

I watched for the second time today and was taking notes at the same time, but heck that scene was still uncomfortable to watch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 13, 2017 10:44 am  #182

NoSheetSherlock wrote:

(...) I don't see much hope.   I see a sweetness in the John/Sherlock iconic friendship, as
ever. And they do what they are good at:  (John is a life-saver, Sherlock is a deceptive and
clever crime-solver), but all lives end.

I'm afraid, there is not much from this iconic Jonh/Sherlock friendship left... Perhaps rebuilding of this friendship could be one of the threads of season 5? ...I don't want "Sherlock" to end!

I have decided to write my first impressions, before I forget them
-  The episode, I never dared to dream, I can see. "Sherlock" concentrated, exceeding every expectations.
- Mrs Hudson!  I always suspected her to have some bank account (or two) from her close-to-criminal past preserved, an I always hoped her to do something more exciting, than making the tea, so I feel very satisfied because her. 
- John and Mary's ghost duo are superb. I liked Mary, and I will miss her. But John went too far, and I am glad to be sure, I will never meet him in real life.The hug did not make it up for me.
- CS is excellent, even more creepy, than CAM, and it says something. Great villain! Is he more creepy, than Moriarty, too? Well, Moriarty became the selfdestruction desire symbol in Sherlock's mind, so I believe, he keeps his first place.
- Molly is sweet and to compliant again, and I would like her to stop. Enough, Molly, wake up!
- Eurus is so vague - I will hold back my opinion, until I know more about her. However, i must proudly say, I did notice the resemblance between (false) Faith and John's therapist, and expected real Faith to turn out to be another person. Luckily for me, the final revelation (secret sister) surprised me exactly as expected ;]
- Sherlock! Caring, unbearable, sweet, terrifying, selfless, lost, brave, tragic, damaged, magnificent... At his best, and his worst the same time. I believe, we have first time seen Sherlock so authentic, ready to remove his mask and show all his vulnerability - in order to act more convincing, and achieve his goal, of course. But, again, this goal was specified by his real feelings. Real Sherlock is deeply moving, sensible, wonderful person. I want to know him better.. And I hope Benedict Cumberbatch to get every possible award for this performance. No one can deserve it more.

Last edited by Naavy (January 14, 2017 7:44 am)

January 13, 2017 10:55 am  #183

Naavy wrote:

- Molly is sweet and to compliant again, and I would like her to stop. Enough, Molly, wake up!

- Sherlock! Caring, unbearable, sweet, terrifying, selfless, lost, brave, tragic, damaged, magnificent... At his best, and his worst the same time. I believe, we have first time seen Sherlock so authentic, ready to remove his mask and show all his vulnerability - in order to act more convincing, and achieve his goal, of course. But, again, this goal was specified by his real feelings. Real Sherlock is deeply moving, sensible, wonderful person. I want know him better!.. And I hope Benedict Cumberbatch to get every possible award for this performance. No one can deserve it more.

I actually like it that they left Molly to be this sweet, shy girl thus far. We had a variety of strong, assertive, opinionated women in the show, so it´s good to have one character that acts outside of this formula. Molly can be shy and meek and yet have admirable qualities nevertheless.

Agree with you on Sherlock/Benedict. Magnificent!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 13, 2017 11:13 am  #184

nakahara wrote:

I actually like it that they left Molly to be this sweet, shy girl thus far. We had a variety of strong, assertive, opinionated women in the show, so it´s good to have one character that acts outside of this formula. Molly can be shy and meek and yet have admirable qualities nevertheless. 

You are right about her being different, it is good for the show. But what I really liked in her, was her inner strength. She was meek, even bland, but only as long, as there was no need to show the other side of her personality. Under this sweetness is strong steel. However - no need to remind it all the time. More often would be enough for me.

Last edited by Naavy (January 13, 2017 11:23 am)

January 13, 2017 2:06 pm  #185

Kae Em wrote:

And by the way: I don't think anyone has a reason to be angry with you for not liking the episode. Not everyone has to like the same things and there wouldn't be any interesting discussion if everyone shared the same opinion 

Oh thank you, dear. I was just didn’t want to be a spoilsport for others.

I have to say, I needed a bit of time to let the episode sink in. But now after a couple of days and after rewatching some scenes and reading several explanations, theories and opinions I don’t find TLD as irksome anymore.

There are still some things I mentioned in my first post that I’m not quite convinced about but I think many of them I can accept with ‘Well, it’s Sherlock, he can do things like that’.

The scene at Baker Street at the end really got me at the second watch. I do understand much better now the reference towards The Woman. I don’t want Irene back but it was touching to see how much John wished Sherlock to be happy. And at the hug I was a crying mess.

I think the whole chapter of Mary’s death, the rift and reunion of John and Sherlock is about their realization of their own and each other’s humanity. “Heroes doesn’t exist and if they were, I wouldn’t be one of them.” Sherlock once told John in TGG. And even thought John knew that, IMO, he subconsciously saw a kind of “superhero” in Sherlock with all the wonderful, crazy and amazing stuff he made (including coming back from the dead). So when Sherlock, who promised over and over again that he would keep John and his family save, failed to that it kind of shattered his world. And IMO it took the time and events of TLD to come to the realization that Sherlock is “just” a human being after all. Same goes for Sherlock’s view about John. I think, he had (just like Mary) a certain picture of John in his mind – John as being perfect. Sherlock knows very well of his own flaws and he sees John as the much better person as himself. He spoke about that in his best man speech in TsoT very much. So when John made his revelation of cheating on Mary and how much he thinks, he isn’t the man Mary thought he is, it was also a kind of enlightenment for Sherlock.
I think they were both idealizing each other and the dialogue at the end of the scene, were Sherlock spoke about them sometimes just being human made them both realize about that.
I hope, it is somehow understandable what I mean.

I’m not sure where I will put TLD in the order of my favourite episodes yet, but I can safely say now, that I really like the episode.

Last edited by stoertebeker (January 13, 2017 2:08 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 13, 2017 6:11 pm  #186

I so agree about John wanting Sherlock to be happy!  I do find that touching.  I think John secretly worries about Sherlock.  It's so true what you say about each of them having elevated visions of each other as perfect, John, Sherlock and Mary.   They all think/thought the other two are better than they are!   It really struck me that while John was saying Mary thought he was better than he was, I felt that ghost Mary was better, wiser, kinder, perhaps more perceptive, etc., than "real" Mary.  And the same goes for John's view of Sherlock (temporarily shaken, but I remember Sherlock saying in TAB saying that he looked so much more clever through John's eyes), Sherlock's view of John - he is shocked that John would even consider cheating!  So I think you're right that a theme of this was being human - allowing each other and themselves to be human.

Board footera