BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2017 11:40 pm  #121

Re: TST Headscratchers

We have plenty of meeting rooms with normal glass windows to halls here.
The stairs look pretty empty but Sherlock mentions it's daytime so there could haven been an odd passerby.

Not a headscratcher, but I loved Lady Smallwood in this ep. The acting was superb. Come to think of it, in HLV too

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 5, 2017 11:42 pm  #122

TheOtherOne wrote:

Here's another "continuity error"... in the scene where these things happen, John's "presence" in 221B is a bit odd...

1. Sherlock tells Lestrade and Hopkins to shut up outside his flat, shuts door and sits down in his chair. At this point there seems to be nothing in John's chair.
2. Sherlock asks for John's opinion during chat with client and suddenly notices red balloon there in John's chair. John then appears from kitchen.
3. Sherlock kicks the client out of 221B. When he shuts the door you hear John (and see the balloon) before you actually see John come into the shot... they have a little banter and John walks from behind his chair to stand in front of the wooden shelving in the background.
4. Hopkins knocks and comes in, but when the shot zooms out again John is not there anymore.
5. Lestrade enters next and when he shows Sherlock the bust suddenly John's there again, in pretty much the same spot in front of the shelving.

Also note that during this scene, John never shares screen time with any other character apart from Sherlock. Even when he's supposed to be part of the conversation with the client and Lestrade, you never see John in the same frame as those other characters.

I don't think John was really there at all.

1. the red balloon is a bit further, cannot be seen at the moment. But later while Sherlock is talking you can see it at the right side.

4. I think that it is a mistake, not the first one. We have seen scenes where position of Sherlock's arms was changing during them forth and back  (in lab with Molly or at wedding) or where he  came to the room and then was back in door again.  It is difficult to have all details under control.

Last edited by Preceja (January 5, 2017 11:43 pm)

January 6, 2017 12:30 am  #123

1. When Sherlock meets Mary and shows her the AGRA stick, she gives him a paper with something which makes him sleep . He has a dream about two boys and dog , I assume that it is young Sherlock and his brother (or two brothers if it is from his point of view) and dog rom MP - Redbeard. A child is singing. Do you understand the words (I do not) , is it anything interesting? 

2. Readbeard can be name of dog but it was also a pirate. Mycroft mentined that Sherlock as a child changed the story about Samara to Sumatra and happy ending, the merchant became pirate then. One boy has a pirate hat  in that dream. 
Could it mean  that the brother  (whom he remembered to play pirate Readbeard) died (or Sherlock was told he died) and Sherlock was not able to cope with it so changed the story about Samara? And somehow during the time forgot about the brother (just to protect himself from the grieve) and connected the name with the dog who was put down?
Then would made sense what Sherlock said at the wedding (I am not child any more) talking about dead dog but also that in TAB as he feels that something with the dog is a bit different. And note Redbeard in Mycroft diary. Why would he mentioned years dead dog? But brother? And maybe not dead? 

From what Mycroft said about what happened to the third one it seems that Mycroft had something  to do with the fate of the third brother (if there is any.)

I am also thinking about the end of SIP where Sherlock mentions that not him upsets their mother but Mycroft and Mycroft seems to look extremelly guilty. It seems to me that there was something big in the past what Mycroft did and what made his mother very angry and she still blames him .

Last edited by Preceja (January 6, 2017 12:33 am)

January 6, 2017 12:31 am  #124

When Sherlock asked Mycroft about AGRA, Mycroft started to play Wikipedia and sprout speeches about that town on Yamuna river.

But later, during speech with Lady Smallwood, she reproached Mycroft that it was he who hired AGRA mercenaries for the job.

He knew very well who they are so why was he playing dumb during his conversation with Sherlock?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 6, 2017 12:35 am  #125

Also, why did Mary travel to Iran and Morocco during her travels?

If she wanted to hide, why choose countries where she would stand out from a crowd as a foreigner and could not smoothlessly blend in?

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 6, 2017 12:43 am  #126

Because it was all the roll of the dice, don't you know?

About Mycroft and AGRA: yeah, basically Mycroft admits just a few seconds later that he "of course" knew about AGRA. I think he was testing Sherlock, trying to find out how much he knows.

-----

January 6, 2017 12:47 am  #127

nakahara wrote:

When Sherlock asked Mycroft about AGRA, Mycroft started to play Wikipedia and sprout speeches about that town on Yamuna river.

But later, during speech with Lady Smallwood, she reproached Mycroft that it was he who hired AGRA mercenaries for the job.

He knew very well who they are so why was he playing dumb during his conversation with Sherlock?

Does it mean that he knew Mary sooner then John (He need not know the hired persons but might)  ? That she worked for him also after Tbilisi . He made her to meet John while Sherlock was "dead" (why?). 

Last edited by Preceja (January 6, 2017 1:08 am)

January 6, 2017 3:37 am  #128

Why can Mary breath the very same drugged air and be very close to Sherlock , even talking to him , and not be drugged herself ? 

Did she spend years building up an immunity in case of just such a scenario after watching The Princess Bride  .

Why is the wooden flying buttress in Ellas office attached to a wall that doesn't reach the floor and looks remarkably like a flimsy blue blind. 

How does Mycrofts office wall explode !

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 6, 2017 3:45 am)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 6, 2017 7:01 am  #129

Mycroft's wall explode?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2017 8:32 am  #130

ewige wrote:

We have plenty of meeting rooms with normal glass windows to halls here.
The stairs look pretty empty but Sherlock mentions it's daytime so there could haven been an odd passerby.

Not a headscratcher, but I loved Lady Smallwood in this ep. The acting was superb. Come to think of it, in HLV too

I agree!  She's an award-winning stage actress too. I'm a fan, and I think she's really lovely to look at too.   Maybe she needs her own thread!

January 6, 2017 12:42 pm  #131

Liberty wrote:

ewige wrote:

I agree!  She's an award-winning stage actress too. I'm a fan, and I think she's really lovely to look at too.   Maybe she needs her own thread!

Loved her too, her character is getting more and more depth, maybe she will become a semi-regular? I would love that.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 6, 2017 12:48 pm  #132

Mothonthemantel wrote:

Why can Mary breath the very same drugged air and be very close to Sherlock , even talking to him , and not be drugged herself ?

Did she spend years building up an immunity in case of just such a scenario after watching The Princess Bride .

Why is the wooden flying buttress in Ellas office attached to a wall that doesn't reach the floor and looks remarkably like a flimsy blue blind.

How does Mycrofts office wall explode !

I think sniffing the paper might have been a bad idea on Sherlock's side (though it made me smile, he just has to sniff things, doesn't he?)

I fear because it might have been exactly that. I guess the set from her ols office does not longer exist and they made her a new one and it looked good that way ;)

I think that was just a transition-shot, the mistress of the first victim in ASIP did not suddenly stand in a rainy room...

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 6, 2017 1:13 pm  #133

I am not sure if this qualifies as a headscratcher, but what could John have written down for Sherlock in the end?
Molly hands him the piece of paper,saying basically that John told her to tell Sherlock to leave him alone. So what could the note be about? A repetition of what Molly already said? Somehow, I doubt that. But what else could it be?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 6, 2017 1:14 pm  #134

There's also the possibility that he knew Mary would drug him (although I do think he looks surprised).  It seems to me that he had set it up in such a way that she would know something was going on (the strange meeting place, "quite a text", etc.) and had already spoken to John and put the tracker on the stick.  He wasn't trying to negotiate with her - he knew that she would come prepared to run away, so he set it up so that she would do just that and they'd be able to trace her.  I think he may well have anticipated that part of the running away would involve drugging him or incapacitating him in some way (a bit gentler than shooting him!). 

January 6, 2017 1:14 pm  #135

@Schmiezi,
I think it's the cliffhanger of this episode, actually.
Here are the theories so far: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=7199

Last edited by ewige (January 6, 2017 1:15 pm)

-----

January 6, 2017 1:19 pm  #136

@Liberty: I think they both very much anticipated what the other was up to. But it still made me smile that Mary used his little unknown-substance-in-front-of-me-have-to-do-olfactory-analyses-tick, they truly got to know each other

Last edited by Lola Red (January 6, 2017 1:19 pm)

January 6, 2017 2:50 pm  #137

ewige wrote:

@Schmiezi,
I think it's the cliffhanger of this episode, actually.
Here are the theories so far: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=7199

Thanks for the link. With the forum so active right now, I forgot there was a thread about it already. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 6, 2017 4:57 pm  #138

Liberty wrote:

There's also the possibility that he knew Mary would drug him (although I do think he looks surprised).  It seems to me that he had set it up in such a way that she would know something was going on (the strange meeting place, "quite a text", etc.) and had already spoken to John and put the tracker on the stick.  He wasn't trying to negotiate with her - he knew that she would come prepared to run away, so he set it up so that she would do just that and they'd be able to trace her.  I think he may well have anticipated that part of the running away would involve drugging him or incapacitating him in some way (a bit gentler than shooting him!). 

He would not put a tracker into the USb stick if he thought Mary would not run away.

Also, when Mary handed him the drugged up paper, he at first flinched, looked at her with reproach and only then did he sniff it - quite deliberately, if you ask me....

January 6, 2017 5:01 pm  #139

Unless he really did think it was a clue!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 6, 2017 7:01 pm  #140

I know someone's probably already mentioned this on the forum, but I watched TST till the very end, after the credits and all that were over... cause you never know, right? But during the credits there were random red letters, and they spell "SIX NAPOLEONS." I know that this case was based off of Doyle's story, but did Moftiss randomly put it there just because? But in my opinion, Moftiss doesn't do stuff "just because," they always have a purpose. Can't really see the purpose for this though. I might just be speculating too much.

The eyes are the mirror of the soul

#sherlollyforever

Board footera