BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2016 1:49 pm  #7161

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

SusiGo wrote:

Some interesting thoughts about representation (not from a teenager):

http://sherlockedgay.tumblr.com/post/154976476199/why-queer-fans-deserve-better-on-queerbaiting-and

It's beautifully said.
My only issue with this argumentation is that equality means equal rights and not any kind of special dispensation for the queer community.
I've grown up watching a lot of Star Trek, later Stargate and BSG where my favorite straight couples' love went unspoken for hundreds of episodes - not because TPTB were straightbaiting (is it a word?) but because the shows were about something else (being no romcoms). I will also take pining and UST over an ER in a fictional story anytime cause they are more interesting to watch.
So I don't see why Moftiss have to make johnlock physical or awknowledge anything just because John and Sherlock are of the same sex while countless other shows keep their straight couples without any romantic resolution. Equal rights mean equally painful pining for everyone ;)

Last edited by ewige (December 26, 2016 1:50 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 26, 2016 1:58 pm  #7162

True. But if you compare the amount of fully depicted straight relationships to the amount of fully depicted LGBT relationships, numbers will be quite disproportionate. There is still the idea going round of sex destroying pure, beautiful, platonic friendships which is completely idiotic if you ask me. Sure, the argument is used in case of straight friendships as well but not as often. And I think that creators are often more reticent to show all aspects of same-sex relationships. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 26, 2016 2:01 pm  #7163

I'd agree with the writer there that providing fuel for fanfiction is a long way from actual representation.   Not that I think same sex friends should always have to become same sex lovers, of course!   But I can understand why some people who are expecting a JL ending would not feel happy with a more ambiguous ending. 

I suppose it raises an interesting question - would the ship have fueled so much fanfiction and so on, if it had been explicit from the start?  There is so much fanfiction pairing people who aren't canon couples ... and I suppose TJLC and all the analysis and so on wouldn't exist if the relationship was an overtly "romantic" one. 

Anyway, we'll see what happens soon.   It's a bit unfair, because it won't be a problem for those of us who don't believe in it, if it does actually happen - we're not invested in it not happening.  But I can see it might be a problem for people who are invested in it happening if it doesn't happen.   I think it's a shame that this particular couple have become the focus of LGB representation and hopes, when it looks as if it will disappoint so many people.  I don't know if that's just evidence of the lack of LGB pairings in popular shows (or perhaps, as I was wondering, because people tend to ship characters who aren't - yet - a couple). 

December 26, 2016 2:20 pm  #7164

I'm on the fence myself. On one hand, I'd like to see John and Sherlock take the next step together because that would tickle my lit crit self. I think the story is about them making steps together, so.

On the other hand, I remember too well that I lost all interest in the X Files once Mulder and Scully became involved. Other shows jumped the shark too at a similar point.

Then, there is also the question of individual preferences (I don't read ER, others maybe look for them specifically).

I think Moftiss will give us some kind of a resolution, a message of sorts. I just hope it will be clear enough to show how they see their own story. I'm prepaired just to roll with it.

-----

December 26, 2016 3:46 pm  #7165

I'm a bit late and would like to say something about why JL community seem to be more investigative and writing more about the show. From what I have seen so far, non-Johnlockers have no agenda, nothing they feel they have to prove.
Personally I might try to set the facts straight if someone's argumentation insults my intelligence, but in general I don't care. If Moftiss decide to make the boys a couple, I would be disappointed that they decided to trivialize their relationship making it just another romance, as I didn't like Sherlock still having a drug issue, but as far as the story is well written, it should be okay. It's Mofftiss' sandbox and their toys, and nobody forces me to watch what I don't want to.

So there is no reason for analyzing the color of John's shirts or the lighting in the bar. If I want to read about the backgrounds I will rather read something from the makers themselves. There are be some interesting pieces made by fans (like the one about the wallpapers or the magpie symbolism) but generally I don't like when someone is telling me what to think.

I'm not an expert here, so feel free to correct me, but I also have the impression that other shippers are well aware of their ships being impossible in the show's universe, so their works stay where they belong: in the realm of fan-arts and slash fiction. Only the TJLC-ers are still trying to convince us that we are all wrong, that the makers have an evil plan and the whole world is homophobic because they don't see straight friends as lovers.

PS: Edited because of a misunderstanding.

PS2: If JL doesn't happen I suspect the hardcore followers will find thousands small hints to go on with the theory. The makers would have to kill both protagonists as old men, happily married to women, and having a bunch of kids each… but I'm afraid even this wouldn't be enough. "=10pt=10pt=11pt=10ptYou can’t kill an idea, can you? Not once it’s made a home…"

Last edited by JP (December 26, 2016 6:31 pm)

December 26, 2016 5:01 pm  #7166

Just to correct this: I did not say I find platonic friendship idiotic. My quote: 

"There is still the idea going round of sex destroying pure, beautiful, platonic friendships which is completely idiotic if you ask me."

This is what I said. I do not subscribe to the idea that a platonic friendship is in any way superior to a non-platonic one. Or that a non-sexual relationship turning into a sexual one does necessarily have to be destructive, less pure, whatever. Friendships can end, romantic relationships can end. But it is not the nature of the latter as such that is destructive. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 26, 2016 5:24 pm  #7167

JP wrote:

Only the TJLC-ers are still trying to convince us that we are all wrong, that the makers have an evil plan and the whole world is homophobic because they don't see straight friends as lovers.

It does look like TPTB are speaking to us more or less indirectly. I agree that some TJLC arguments are a stretch, others are open to interpretation, but the remainder are there and seem legit to me Yes, TJLCers want everything to be clever, like Sherlock, but Moftiss do encourage such thinking! It's not necessarily an evil plan, just a plan.
I certainly don't see non-johnlockers as homophobic, seeing how it has nothing to do with anything here, actually. Their chemistry either clicks for you or it doesn't *shrugs*
And then it's about sharing your finds of proof with a like-minded community and waiting to be proven right.

Last edited by ewige (December 26, 2016 5:26 pm)

-----

December 26, 2016 6:30 pm  #7168

Sorry SusiGo. Damn, I was two days offline, and obviously I'm suffering from a massive overload, trying to catch up.
I completely misunderstood your sentence! *runs to edit the post*

Ewige, I came upon this kind of argumentation: "you don't want JL to happen because you are a homophobe."
Wondering "how on earth Mark can be against JL", btw, belongs to the same category for me.

December 26, 2016 7:27 pm  #7169

JP wrote:

Ewige, I came upon this kind of argumentation: "you don't want JL to happen because you are a homophobe."
Wondering "how on earth Mark can be against JL", btw, belongs to the same category for me.

Pfft, that homophobe argument is a lazy one, don't pay attention to those people
I guess people have different reasons to be against JL, but the part of me that doesn't want anything definite on screen argues that too much tension, too much fun would be gone. I love guessing and chasing evidence
Mark could be against that for the same reasons or because it's not the story they are telling.
I'm basically curious to see what they want to tell us because at this point different interpretations are possible even if we all are talking about love between two best friends. There's always the question whether making it physical really means it's a "better" love, the next step?

Last edited by ewige (December 26, 2016 7:30 pm)

-----

December 26, 2016 7:38 pm  #7170

Not necessarily better but I think there will be a point where ambiguity must end. At least where a relationship is concerned. I really do not think it would be good storytelling to end on such a note. This is my opinion as a storyteller, of course there may be others. I think you can have two people meet at the end of a film/novel and then leave open if they are going to fall in love or not. Could work beautifully. But in a story you have been telling for seven years - no. As I said, this is my personal opinion.

And I really do not see the point of doing this. There have been some adaptations playing with a romance - like the Ritchie films. Or Granada with omitting Mary and the Watson marriage as a whole. And of course TPLOSH with Holmes's "desperately unspoken" gay love for Watson. What would be the point of adding another sad pining Sherlock or another ambiguous unsolved relationship? 

December 26, 2016 7:48 pm  #7171

I too think that the romance is the arc holding the series together but who the heck knows what resolution is the most satisfying one for Moftiss? They never told us "how it really happened" and were very smug about that, too.. Just an example of leaving stuff unexplained even tho people had been speculating about it for years.
Maybe they wanted to tell us that the mechanics were not important, just the emotional impact? The same argumentation could work really well with the JL confirmation too.

Last edited by ewige (December 26, 2016 7:50 pm)

-----

December 26, 2016 8:37 pm  #7172

I see what you mean but I think this is a bit different. If you look at Doctor WHO you get lots of straight and LGBT relationships. And in the end they usually are not left ambiguous. They may end sad or be happy but you know what they are to each other. So leaving this question ambiguous in one of the biggest TV stories ever might seem like a cop-out or unsatisfactory writing. Having them alone and more or less happy in 221b would not be bad but for a show advertised as making TV history this might be a bit disappointing. Just my thoughts. I do not need a sunset but a firm commitment in whichever form would be very much appreciated. Giving us a marriage and all the other traditional stuff for John and Mary and leaving on an ambiguous note as for Sherlock and John would be quite sad for a show that allegedly has always been about them.

Last edited by SusiGo (December 26, 2016 8:39 pm)

December 26, 2016 9:30 pm  #7173

It was never ambiguous to me. IF I saw any signs of ambiguity, John marrying Mary would end it.

Plus the impression I've got from TPLOSH as being anyhow connected to JL, was Watson freaking out about what people might say (which is clearly the source of the running joke in the series) after Holmes clearly told a lie to avoid a delicate situation.

December 26, 2016 9:52 pm  #7174

This is not Mark's view on TPLOSH.

December 27, 2016 12:52 am  #7175

JP and people that do not see any romantic arc it would be interesting if you could say if you think John would of married Mary had Sherlock not faked his death , and if not why?
Thanks.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (December 27, 2016 12:52 am)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

December 27, 2016 1:48 am  #7176

Well, it's always easier to disprove something than to prove it (hence Null's hypothesis). My take on this debate is that if you believe Johnlock is end game, then you are making a conclusion by extrapolating from presented facts.  Personally, I believe there's enough data that points in the direction of John and Sherlock being together romantically to make a prediction ahead of time. (By the way, I've already presented what I based my prediction on a few days ago on this thread, so I'm not going to repeat it... unless someone wants me to! :D).  
I find it interesting that people think that it's about "gonads" or "sex" between John and Sherlock, though. I personally think we're witnessing one of the greatest love stories ever told and that the protagonists just happen to both be men. I think that they have slowly fallen in love with each other and that physical intimacy is just a natural progression to express that love. Yes, John Watson claims to "Not be Gay" and Sherlock claims to "Not be interested in feelings " but to me that's what will make this so powerful because despite all of these "obstacles", their love for each other will trump these so-called hurdles.  
I don't see Mary as a reason to dismiss the evidence I have gathered to make a Johnlock prediction. She is obviously an obstacle that comes between the two love interest, but that's what elevates the stakes even more. I love that she's there. It will makes the reward of getting John and Sherlock even more gratifying!
(As an aside, I don't hate Mary. I'm predicting that she's going to have one of the biggest plot twist on the show and blindside everyone (especially Johnlockers). But this is not the place to elaborate on this, so I'll post my theory in a different thread!)
Okay, back to the debate: I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the concrete evidence for Johnlock obviously doesn't exist yet. I can't show you the facts because they haven't materialized yet. What I can do is point to the present data and say that I see a pattern forming from which I can extrapolate a S4 Johnlock end game.  
I will happily come back here if I'm wrong and say I interpreted the writer's intentions wrong and congratulate my fellow board members on a well thought-out debate. :D  

December 27, 2016 7:48 am  #7177

Mothonthemantel wrote:

JP and people that do not see any romantic arc it would be interesting if you could say if you think John would of married Mary had Sherlock not faked his death , and if not why?
Thanks.

I'm not sure.  My first thought was "not", because Sherlock usually gets in the way of John's courtships, and the girlfriends don't want to play second fiddle.  John went right through the relationship with Mary to as far as a proposal, without Sherlock ever "getting in the way", and if he hadn't had that Sherlock-free period, would it have happened?

But then, when Sherlock does come back, it doesn't put the marriage off course at all.   And I do wonder if Mary is different to the other girlfriends.    She likes Sherlock instantly, and encourages John and Sherlock to go off on adventures - she's not jealous.   And Sherlock likes her more than John's other girlfriends. 

I think it might have been more subtly difficult if Sherlock had been around.  When would John move out of 221B, for instance?  So I think perhaps the relationship might have progressed more slowly.  Perhaps John might not even have felt such a need for marriage if he hadn't experienced a huge loss - I don't know.   But I do think it's certainly possible that John would still have married Mary.  

December 27, 2016 10:09 am  #7178

I always found it interesting that in Canon Watson marries while living with Holmes whereas in BBC Sherlock Sherlock had to be dead for John to form a serious attachment. We have discussed more than once why John went through with the wedding and I still believe that he did so because he feared making himself vulnerable and getting hurt again. Unfortunately, he chose the wrong person for a spouse to avoid that. 

December 27, 2016 5:36 pm  #7179

SusiGo, what is Mark's take on TPLOSH and where I can read/hear his own words about it?

As for John marrying, I 100% agree with Liberty.

Plus I don't think that Sherlock had to be dead to make the marriage possible. It was just helpful he was not around for a while. John dated women or tried to date some constantly (he clearly tried to hit on Anthea and on the women who was sent for him by Irene).
It was surely easier for John to let a relationship grow, without being constantly on some case with Sherlock, who was all but an easy boyfriend's friend. The scenes with Jaeanette in TSIB show it very clearly.

Victorian Mary was not really a character in canon, was she? She surely was happy just being married and staying at home, something that would be a bit out of place in the modern world. And surely boring as hell.

I think modern Mary, unlike other women in John's life, is the right person in the given constellation. She is able to handle the situation without trying to get between Sherlock and John, she likes Sherlock and is clever enough to actually be respected by him.

December 27, 2016 5:48 pm  #7180

Here's Mark's take on TPLOSH:

Although I agree with you, JP - I too see Watson freaking out over Holmes claiming they're a couple.  Holmes comes across as gay, Watson as straight (probably - he could be in denial).

TPLOSH is one of the reasons I don't think they're doing Johnlock - Moftiss claim it was a big influence, and Billy Wilder has said that he wished he could have been more open about it.  I don't think Moftiss would make a version that was less open (for years).

Board footera