BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2016 7:47 pm  #421

Re: Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat Tweets

I don't see it as a moan at all, just a comment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 14, 2016 8:22 pm  #422

I am not sure that this is directed at us, nakahara. I honestly cannot imagine people who have been analysing the show for years should have missed "blindingly obvious" clues. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 15, 2016 3:50 pm  #423

That's  a really famous picture and I can't for the life of me think who it is...
A poet?
Wordsworth?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 15, 2016 3:57 pm  #424

Ah, I've definitely seen it...National Portrait Gallery, perhaps?

September 15, 2016 3:58 pm  #425

This isn't even a quote, but a paraphrase. We know nothing about how he said and the tone he said it in. And, yeah, even if he was a tad grumpy, I have no trouble understanding why.

Then again, it's hard to know what is "obvious clues" and what is "random details" when you don't have the answer in front of you. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 15, 2016 6:03 pm  #426

I just really, really hope that he tells us what they were right after S4 airs. 

September 15, 2016 7:46 pm  #427

Liberty wrote:

I just really, really hope that he tells us what they were right after S4 airs. 

Me too Liberty, but I don't believe we should hold our breaths! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 15, 2016 10:41 pm  #428

Vhanja wrote:

This isn't even a quote, but a paraphrase. We know nothing about how he said and the tone he said it in. And, yeah, even if he was a tad grumpy, I have no trouble understanding why.

Since it's not his exact words, we can't tell for sure what the tone was, and I didn't read any hostility in it myself.  I don't think it's an accusing statement, just more how he sees what's happening, which is that the details people go for with their speculations might not necessarily be the ones with the real clues.  Everyone is doing their detecting, but they may have followed false leads.

Clueing for looks.

September 16, 2016 6:22 am  #429

It could well be just playful.  He was quoted in the article about that talk (http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-09-13/mark-gatiss-says-weve-missed-blindingly-obvious-clues-about-sherlocks-future) as saying he read something about Moriarty's theory, relating it to Grimm's fairytales, that would have required a dossier.  But there were allusions to fairytales in TRF.  Are we supposed to think of them as random details or obvious clues?  It turns out that it's the former, but I really do think it's diffiult to tell.   It's easy to see which now that we've had S3 and that line hasn't been followed through, but it probably wasn't obvious after TRF.

Still, it's fun to speculate about what's blindingly obvious and what's not!  I think there's a thread about it somewhere?

September 17, 2016 8:50 pm  #430

While I'm pretty sure Mark is just teasing us... maybe the "blindingly obvious" is Mycroft's introduction from the very first ep - that he is Sherlock's archenemy? I mean, I watched the first ep without any prior knowledge apart from the books and had forgotten that Sherlock had a brother, so I was very sure till after the shock blanket scene that the umbrella guy was Moriarty! I mean, they did frame it like that, right?

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

September 17, 2016 8:51 pm  #431

Oh yes, deliberately so.

September 17, 2016 9:02 pm  #432

besleybean wrote:

Oh yes, deliberately so.

Thank you! I mean, everybody I've talked to before were like, OF COURSE that was Mycroft!
So while the popular M-Theory might requier a dossier, maybe TPTB will pull off something similar and then say, "But Mycroft basically confessed! In the very beginning! BLINDINGLY obvious!"
(altho he can't be a real baddie, not after Mrs. Hudson's "reptile" comment in the trailer!)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

September 18, 2016 7:34 am  #433

Everybody knew it was Mycroft?  I was certainly fooled on first viewing.  And they ran with that again in TAB.  Yes, I'm pretty sure Mycroft is going to be important in S4, and yes, I think that's the kind of thing they would do, going back to a "clue" from ASIP.   Of course, it could be in a more subtle way, because I do think Mycroft may have been Sherlock's enemy in the sense of making him what he is, providing motivation (to be better than him), etc., and not in always in a way that was beneficial to Sherlock. 

I'm sure we're going to have surprises about Mary too, but Mary's isn't the "story they've been telling from the beginning".   I agree that maybe the "blindingly obvious" clues are in ASIP.   I think I posted a while ago about what themes there are in ASIP that oculd come to fruition in S4.  Mycroft was one of them.

September 18, 2016 7:35 pm  #434

Could you tell us where you posted that, Liberty?  I should like to read it!

September 18, 2016 8:31 pm  #435

Oh, there was nothing to it ... just a bit at the end of this post (if I can link to it): http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=268649#p268649 .  I keep thinking that "the story we've been telling from the beginning" has to be a big hint to look at earlier episodes.  And there's actually quite a lot to go on in ASIP.  In fact, the main thing missing is Mary, which makes me think that maybe she won't be the big bad of S4 (although I'm sure there will be more about her), unless she's there in some unseen way.

October 6, 2016 6:25 pm  #436

I love that one! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 9, 2016 9:08 am  #437

An oldie but goodie.

November 18, 2016 8:15 pm  #438

And interesting how much they love TPLoSH. Remember Mark's scathing remarks from last July? About the "garbled mistranslation" regarding his love for the film? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2016 11:00 am  #439

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 4, 2016 11:04 am  #440

They are really putting an emphasis on Moriarty for S4, aren't they? Could it be a red herring?

Team Hudders!

Board footera