BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 5, 2016 7:01 pm  #401

Re: Mark Gatiss & Steven Moffat Tweets

Dracula's often very sexualised in dramatisations.  I'm trying to remember what he was like in the book (ages since I read it). 

I think a lot of characters in children's books (although certainly not all!) appear asexual, and often celibate.  The Hobbit, for instance - Gandalf could be asexual as well as some of the other characters.   Probably a bad example .... but lots of characters that the issue just doesn't arise for and could easily be seen as asexual - we don't see any sort of sex drive, or romantic entanglements even, and they're not affected by it.  I'm not suggesting there's normally sex in children's books, but for instance, Snape seems to be attracted to Lily, Harry to Ginny, etc.

August 5, 2016 7:15 pm  #402

Celibate? Some monks, surely.
Clearly asexual? Not under the living

August 5, 2016 7:27 pm  #403

Well, vampires are asexual beings because their bodies are dead, and so they have no bodily fluids. So sex is impossible.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 5, 2016 7:46 pm  #404

(desperately tries to wipe that mental image!)

Then...er, do you need fluids?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 5, 2016 7:54 pm  #405

Well, it can smart a bit without them.   j/k - no I don't think body fluids equate to sex.  I feel there's more to sex than sexual acts. 

August 9, 2016 7:53 am  #406

I was reading this article and thought of the recent discussion here in regards to Mark's tweets:

http://mid0nz.tumblr.com/post/148643160154/tjlc-is-more-than-a-readerly-approach-to-a-text

If Moffat and Gatiss have experienced ¼ of the garbage I’ve gotten from TJLCers they’re dealing with horrible, horrible stuff behind the scenes that they’re not even addressing. When they say they get pilloried– they mean it.  For those of you who experience TJLC as a fun fandom game– I’m here to tell you it’s got a dark history. 

It has been very educational for me, reading about this.  I didn't know this was going on in the fandom (oh, the innocence of not being on tumblr!). 

There was also this article that I posted recently, about Johnlock, but also about the relationship between fans and creators:

http://www.vox.com/2016/8/7/11950648/fandom-shipping-social-justice-ideological-warfare

Last edited by Liberty (August 9, 2016 8:23 am)

August 9, 2016 7:58 am  #407

Bottom line: fans have the right to be disappointed a show doesn't turn out how they want.
But no right to make personal attacks on the show creators.
Write your own darn shows!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 9, 2016 8:19 am  #408

Good God this is sick indeed...!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 9, 2016 5:21 pm  #409

Thanks for sharing. That's a stuff for a horror story.

August 9, 2016 5:42 pm  #410

Oh god, sounds like something I shouldn't even read...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 9, 2016 7:46 pm  #411

Sometimes you have to wonder if some people lost the capability to distinguish real people from characters in their fics.

August 9, 2016 7:47 pm  #412

It's a concern.

August 12, 2016 7:17 am  #413

Interesting conversation from both sides of the fence:

http://marybegone.tumblr.com/post/148825334716/so-what-should-we-do

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 11, 2016 2:44 pm  #414

LOL, have to share this

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 11, 2016 2:54 pm  #415

Ready for the show I'm going to see him in?!

September 11, 2016 8:58 pm  #416

If yes - it also means he will come to the Con like this! He looks like Mr Jackson from Hitman/cleaning up.

September 14, 2016 12:16 pm  #417

Radiotimes interview, 13. 9. 2016:

So once again, Mark Gatiss accusses fans of missing "obvious hints" and criticises us for analysing the details of the show.

Nothing new under the sun, but it´s getting annoying.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 14, 2016 5:41 pm  #418

Well, the "random unrelated details" are there, so of course we're going to speculate!  And what's the bet that the obvious clues haven't been missed at all?  

I do understand that he's had some flak from the fandom recently, so maybe that makes this sound a bit grumpy ... and of course, it's always more difficult when you can't hear tone of voice.

September 14, 2016 6:56 pm  #419

He always has a joke in his heart, a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye.
Love him.

September 14, 2016 7:43 pm  #420

Liberty wrote:

Well, the "random unrelated details" are there, so of course we're going to speculate!  And what's the bet that the obvious clues haven't been missed at all?  

I do understand that he's had some flak from the fandom recently, so maybe that makes this sound a bit grumpy ... and of course, it's always more difficult when you can't hear tone of voice.

I cannot imagine surviving three years long hiatus without lots of speculation and theories.
Therefore these (what to call them? moans? complaints?) seem quite unjustified to me.

Board footera