BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 27, 2016 8:42 am  #1

Redbeard and series 4 (spoilers)

Here are some thoughts about Redbeard in the light of casting a young Sherlock:

http://stillgosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/146544607548/dog-and-trauma-some-thoughts-about-young

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 27, 2016 8:48 am  #2

Re: Redbeard and series 4 (spoilers)

This idea does make sense and I also like it a lot. Let's hope this is what we'll get to see next season!

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 27, 2016 10:23 am  #3

YES! A thousand times this!

So here's what I think the two scenes will be:

Flashback 1: Traumatic event which scarred young Sherlock
Flashback 2: Parents gifting him Redbeard in an attempt to give him emotional support

Last edited by GimmeCat (June 27, 2016 12:39 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 30, 2016 2:42 pm  #4

Here is postscript since I had not looked at Redbeard in TAB:

http://stillgosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/146705319913/dog-and-trauma-a-tab-postscript

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 30, 2016 5:07 pm  #5

Interesting thoughts.  I really like your view of Redbeard in TAB.  I'm not sure that "I made me" means that he felt responsible for whatever event happened ... he seems to me to be saying that an event (or whatever) didn't "create" him, but that he did it deliberately .. quite possibly to deal with the event (but yes, it could be interpreted as meaning that he thought he caused the event).   And we don't even know for sure that there is an event .. but I agree that the six-year-old casting has to suggest something.  Even if it's Mycroft viewpoint of the event. 

Board footera