BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2016 8:51 am  #3961

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Mod's note:
Could we please keep words like "bash" out of the discussion? We have moved beyond this. This is not about "bashing" a character and more than 4,000 posts, most of them considered and factual, prove this. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 10, 2016 8:52 am  #3962

Whisky wrote:

I'm not getting anywhere it's just, that christmas scene... it's where Mycroft and Mary must have met. And i cannot imagine how it went... either way... but, god, it must have been awkward...

If I think about it, I would love to see that scene someday!

Very good points there about the Christmas Scene, Whisky! (And a lovely picture of the Christmas Dinner.)

What I find interesting is TEH. When Sherlock is saved from Serbia, he immediately asks Mycroft about John. Mycroft tries to evade his questions, but then yields to him and lo! He has an entire file on Dr. Watson and his life during Sherlock´s absence together with photographs.

I think it´s unbelievable that Mycroft did completely overlook Mary and her past with that tight supervision, even if her identity was fake. Mycroft is a professional, it´s his job to see through the tricks like that...

...so I´m entirely puzzled over him and Mary, TBH. Are they in cahoots together or not? 

Last edited by nakahara (June 10, 2016 8:54 am)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 10, 2016 9:10 am  #3963

I can imagine Mycroft overlooking Mary's true identity. In a way that he thinks maybe:
"So, now that Sherlock is gone, John settles down. How boring. But that's how they are in the end. He wasn't different in the end."
What contradicts this, is Mycroft's knowledge about how John misses the war. He should become suspicious of John's "mundane" life.

Mycroft could also think John just needs comfort, and that's what Mary is. In that scenario, I could also see him ignore Mary. Like "let the heartbroken guy be happy with that girl, whoever she is, he needs it".

Of course Mycroft could also know about Mary's background, maybe even her connection to CAM, and that's why he tries to keep Sherlock away from John in the beginning. But it doesn't fit with the proceedings, imo. Because then Mycroft would have surely warned Sherlock at some point. About Mary, not only CAM.

I cannot see Mycroft and Mary as a team without Sherlock knowing. I can imagine Mycroft, Mary and Sherlock (which again, and I don't like it, leaves a clueless John), or none of them plotting together.

Maybe I see Mycroft and Sherlock plotting against Magnusson in the end. But the way Sherlock says "tell Mary she's save now" makes me think she's not privy to the plan. Also, why drug a pregnant woman if she has all the facts anyway.

Last edited by Whisky (June 10, 2016 9:14 am)

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 10:32 am  #3964

I wonder if Mycroft expected Sherlock to deduce about Mary for himself easily and not be so slow or blinded by sentiment. Perhaps Mycroft thought Sherlock was taking on Magnussen on Marys behalf.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

June 10, 2016 11:56 am  #3965

But Mycroft seemed furios when he heard about Sherlock's plans to take on Magnusson. Or scared, hard to say. But not like he expected Sherlock to go after Magnusson.

Does Mycroft know that Sherlock knows about Mary's connection to CAM? And does Sherlock know? Seems to me he finds out pretty late...

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 11:57 am  #3966

I find it interesting that even though everyone is at the Holmes house they still choose to never show us Mary and Mycroft interact in any way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 10, 2016 12:06 pm  #3967

Actually we are not sure that we ever saw them interact. There is no contact on the tarmac and we are not sure if the modern scenes from TAB are real. So it is possible that they met at the Holmeses and on the tarmac without ever exchanging a single word or glance. Which is definitely strange. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 10, 2016 12:17 pm  #3968

I have a new favourite theory. They never talk in public because they're secretly in love. I like that. It explains Mycroft's strange behaviour, and if the child is his and not John's, we will see
a) John punch Mycroft (love that)
b) Mary and the child alive
c) Sherlock back with John, hating his brother even more... or less, depending on perspective

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 12:24 pm  #3969

Now this is a nice theory. Yes, Mary as goldfish and the boys back in 221B, why not? 

June 10, 2016 12:29 pm  #3970

Yes, it has its appeals

What I find curious is how they don't interact on the tarmac. Because we know they met before (e.g. at Christmas)... and there were all these months in between, did they never meet there? Not even accidently at Sherlock's?
They seem to know each other well enough on the tarmac to not need to acknowledge each other in a big way. There must be something. But what?? If they shared a dinner at Christmas in the Holmes' house, they must have spoken. If only "Mycroft, this is John's lovely wife" - "Nice to meet you, Mary". No, it feels all strange.

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 12:31 pm  #3971

I get the impression that they did not have dinner together. Remember, Mrs Holmes is preparing something in the kitchen, there are potatoes on the laptop. I suppose dinner would have taken place later but then the Appledore disaster prevented it. Imagine Mummy and Mary sitting there, waiting for the boys, the monstrous mother and the woman who shot her son … bit awkward. And Daddy Holmes and Billy in between. 

June 10, 2016 1:14 pm  #3972

SusiGo wrote:

I get the impression that they did not have dinner together. Remember, Mrs Holmes is preparing something in the kitchen, there are potatoes on the laptop. I suppose dinner would have taken place later but then the Appledore disaster prevented it. Imagine Mummy and Mary sitting there, waiting for the boys, the monstrous mother and the woman who shot her son … bit awkward. And Daddy Holmes and Billy in between. 

Is it wrong that I would kind of enjoy this?  Part of me really wants Mummy Holmes to find out who shot her boy. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 10, 2016 2:10 pm  #3973

Great scenario. And if they realised they all got drugged by that lovely friend of Sherlock's...

I need to see more of that Christmas. Can't we have it as a nice little dish like MHR?

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 3:40 pm  #3974

Shall we start a crowdfunding for this? 

June 10, 2016 4:35 pm  #3975

Well, who knows...they might be filming that extra Christmas scene right now.  LOL

I lost count

June 10, 2016 4:35 pm  #3976

The Xmas reconciliation scene with John and Mary was lovely.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 10, 2016 4:45 pm  #3977

This is your opinion. I beg to differ.

June 10, 2016 4:46 pm  #3978

Of course it is and of course you do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 10, 2016 5:20 pm  #3979

SusiGo wrote:

This is your opinion. I beg to differ.

I'll join you on the begging.
I cringed so hard.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 10, 2016 5:22 pm  #3980

Is 'cringe' a better word than 'bash'?

Board footera