BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2016 2:41 pm  #41

Re: Homophobia in Fandom*

I know it's part of most 'normal' human experience...but as you say, some of us are just different.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 9, 2016 6:13 pm  #42

I'm sorry you feel guilty, Ukaunz, and I know it's not for me to say, but it bothers me that people should feel guilty about this sort of thing.   I tend to think of slash fiction as more of a woman thing (although obviously there are male readers and writers too), rather than a gay thing - it's more about women's sexuality and romantic feelings than it is about men's.    I don't know why exactly slash appeals to quite a large group of women, and I've gone through several theories which may be true for some and not for others - including straight women finding it hot (and why not?  If you fancy men, then why not read about a couple where you fancy both of them?), women using it to explore their own sexuality and romantic feelings, a desire to explore men or the masculine side of themeslves, the fact that there's a bit of distance (you're not comparing yourself to the protaganists, the relationship is one you'll never be in, etc.), I've even thought about more negative ideas like women setting men above themselves (controversial I know, and I'm sure not universal, but occasionally I've had that feeling). 

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I don't really know what the cause is and it might be different for everybody, but this does seem to be a feature of a large group of women's sexuality, and to say it's wrong, that it's appropriating or fetishising, etc., can come across as an attempt to diminish women's sexuality.    There's nothing wrong with being more emotionally (or sexually!) engaged by a male/male story than with other pairings.   It's about you, not about the men.  And I don't mean at all to be dismissive about gay men - just saying I don't think this is what it's about. 

(As an aside, I don't think it's really related to homophobia or lack of, except that if you were pretty homophobic you might avoid the subject altogether.   But shipping male characters is neither homophobic or the opposite). 

June 10, 2016 12:25 pm  #43

I agree. I don't think someone should feel guilty about that.
It is interesting that it's something that appeals largely to women and I'm sure there are many explanations that may ring true for different people.
Again, while I don't really ship Johnlock, it's the only M/M fanfiction that I have ever actually gotten any enjoyment from and not been completely put off by. And I'm not sure why that is. Even if I don't necessarily see it as something that will happen in the series, oftentimes it feels less forced than other slash pairings I have encountered.
While I was never really that homophobic, I probably still had a bit left in me when I was younger and encountering slash in my old fandoms, probably there are also more mature people in Sherlock fabdom.

To answer whether slash is homophobic, I don't think it inherently is homophobic, but I doubt everyone who reads it is necessarily not homophobic.

From the people here who enjoy it, I don't think it's homophobic. However, from what I understand, in certain places or groups that is not the case. There are certain women who are fans of M/M comics in Japan (and I am NOT saying all Japanese women are like this or that all fans of that genre are like that) who have said they enjoy it because they like to feel embarrassed as if they have walked in on the two men having sex. That doesn't seem to me what Johnlockers are doing. They seem, from my perspective, invested in the whole story: the relationship between John and Sherlock and not just the sex. They are not embarrassed to imagine it, but think it is a nice thing, perhaps (as was already mentioned) identifying with it. I think being able to experience those stories in that way, instead of for shock factor, shows a lack of homophobia in that person.

I sincerely hope that I have not just offended somebody.

Last edited by Yitzock (June 10, 2016 12:26 pm)

Clueing for looks.

June 10, 2016 12:56 pm  #44

besleybean wrote:

I have said it before and say it again, somebody needs to do a Phd study on this: why are fan girls obsessed with seeing hot male leads get it on? Guilty as charged. But I feel I do recognise when that is not what is being shown.

Actually, I love reading scientific works about fandoms and their characteristics. I wish we had more works like that, and could discuss them here. Because sometimes I think, when I talk to people, they are like "fan talking nonsense, dismissed". I tried conversations and each time I wish I had like statistics to work with. It's like fandoms are a world on their own, but I think, there is so much happening, it should be visible. Like, having impact. I mean, not the fan stuff itself, but what we explore, discuss, realise about society... I think, e.g. with bestselling books, it's often done in articles, reviews, there's open discussion. I feel that fandoms keeps a lot of valuable insights to themselves.

I once read a Master Thesis, maybe I'll find it again somewhere, not exactly sure about the topic but it had statistics and it totally blew my mind how many of the female slash fanfic readers identified as bisexual or lesbian. I expected standard distribution (is that the word?), I mean the same proportion as in general society, but that wasn't what it said. There was also a conclusion saying sth like that fandoms offer minorities a room to explore their ideas which they maybe cannot explore as freely in society? (I seem to struggle to find the fitting words...)

I remember reading that was important for me. Because for me, fandom was for quite a time exactly that room. I mean, a room where people are open-minded. Or that's how I perceived fandoms, when I first encountered them (back then, it was Harry Potter fandom - the first I was active enough in to get a feel for it).

Last edited by Whisky (June 10, 2016 1:05 pm)

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 1:11 pm  #45

I would love to see the statistics of the make up of this forum. 
A break down of gender, race, nationality, sexuality, social economic status etc.
I wouldn't want to invade anyone's privacy, but if we could have a survey of some sort where you remain confidential. 
It would be fascinating.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 10, 2016 1:36 pm  #46

Just start a poll, and whoever wants to participate, could do so.
See, I learn great things about myself everyday on this forum. Right now I've learned that I'm fine to share my sexual identity, but not my social economic status, on an internet forum

I listened to the Andrew interview, and I don't get the part some of you struggled with... I think there's a part where he says, he doesn't think it's good if characters are reduced to (sexuality?)... just to feed a frenzy. And that peoples sexuality is not there to tittilate people?
But it's not the sexuality of characters that does that, is it? It's because it's hot stuff, in ways of action, setting, development, emotions, ... but that's got nothing to do with sexuality itself, does it?
And, I mean, the rest is the old story - if someone doesn't like reading slash fiction, maybe he shouldn't, and keep from (negative) commenting.

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 1:39 pm  #47

Oh, and I tried to google for some nice thesis' (what is the plural of that word!) and I've found a few on first try. Will read anything that sounds promising as soon as I've got the time.

Indeed some works try to answer the question above (why women like to read two men together). First two explanations already make some sense to me (though I still think that's not all of it):

a) fandoms offer a room where women can

"resist the 'dominant  ideologies  of  patriarchal, heteronormative culture' by seeking out and writing erotic relationsships that are the very antithesis to the heterosexual romance novels they are expected to enjoy"
b) "by pairing two male characters together, women can experience a romantic relationship of equality that is difficult to attain in heterosexual relationships"
(quoted from: http://via.library.depaul.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1147&context=etd ; p.24, refers to Catherine  Tosenberger,  “Homosexuality  at  the  Online  Hogwarts:  Harry  Potter  Slash  Fanfiction,” 2008)

I'm getting off-topic, am I not.

Last edited by Whisky (June 10, 2016 2:01 pm)

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2016 1:49 pm  #48

Not strange Whisky.  Everyone has there sensitive points. 
Me, I'll tell you all about my sex life and how much my house cost, but I rarely talk about my health. 
*shrug*  Don't really know why.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 10, 2016 2:15 pm  #49

I'm all for stats but we're just a tiny (and skewed) sample. Besides, not all users are slashers. Not all users identify on the usual scale of sexuality or wish to provide all answers or to participate at all.

It would be great to start a poll on ao3 with fewer questions but a larger sample. 

Last edited by ewige (June 10, 2016 2:17 pm)

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

June 10, 2016 3:03 pm  #50

But, I'm specifically interested in our forum.  No one would have to participate if they didn't want to and all answers would be anon.  Don't care who's a slasher.  Kind of already know that. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 10, 2016 4:44 pm  #51

I definitely would like the stats to show just how much of a minority we non-Johnlockers are.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 10, 2016 5:40 pm  #52

I would like to take part as well.

Edit: what is that about being a monority? It seems to be quite a topic. Why?

Last edited by Schmiezi (June 10, 2016 5:41 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 10, 2016 5:41 pm  #53

Personally, I think that's not to do with sexuality, but about how you read the show.    I think we're in the minority here, but not out there IRL.  I also think that there is probably a large group who are not Johnlockers but who ship Sherlock and John! 

I'd be interested in sexual demographics too, but I think sexuality is often more complex than which sex you fancy (if any).   And I do hate to say it, but I think there is a way to go in acceptance of alternative sexualities. 

Whisky, your quotes are interesting, but I think they leave out quite a lot (if it's about gender equality, then why are lesbian/bi women slashing men rather than women?).    And making the characters male/male instead of male/female doesn't make the stories the antithesis of heterosexual romances (in my opinion) - in fact I've read stories which are pretty much like standard romances with male pronouns.  (Pronouns - the fiddliest bit of writing slash!).  I'm not saying these suggestions are wrong - simply that I think there are other reasons too!

I have at times read male/male stories and found them more noble and heartwrenching than male/female stories.  Not a problem, you might think.   But maybe it depends what's behind it and what's making me feel that way.  If it suggests that I see my own sex and predominant sexuality as less noble, then it might well be a problem. Especially if people are using these stories to explore their own sexuality and identity. 

So many facets and questions!

Last edited by Liberty (June 10, 2016 7:45 pm)

June 11, 2016 1:51 am  #54

Yes, I am sure there is not just one explanation. There is a lot to think about.

The quote you posted, Whisky, about subverting heteronormativity and such, I think does come into play with fanfiction. Not only sexuality, but gender, too. While I don't see it necessarily being part of the show, I have enjoyed ficsoff Sherlock, or Mycroft, or John being trans, and there are quite a few people for whom having those stories is important.

While it may seem puzzling for women to be subverting gender inequality with male-male slash, homophobia is often tied to sexism towards women, since gay men are considered feminine by homophobic people. At least, that's the stereotype. While of course there's nothing wrong with feminine men (who liked gender roles, anyway?) but in these slash stories people explore relationships between men that might not otherwise seem very feminine.
I feel like I may have lost where I was going with that, but I think I made some sense.

And then, something more straightforward, fanfiction is written about characters we are already invested in. So it's not hard to make the leap, to some extent, to any other points of identification, whether that be sexuality, gender, or anything else really. Asexual Sherlock, gay Sherlock, trans Sherlock, deaf Sherlock. I've seen fanfics and/headcanons about all of those.

Sometyhing about a coon Johnlock narrative that, when I have read them and enjoyed them (at least some parts) is the friends becoming romantic partners narrative. While what I wanted in my own life was not a relationship that included sex, I had a friend who I was in love with, but that didn't happen. I am pretty much over it now, and staying friends is great, but for a while that narrative fulfilled something I had never gotten to have, never will have. So even if a romantic and/or sexual Johnlock story is not my first choice, I could never fully dismiss it. I am not into it, I'm not, but that one aspect, when it would come up, being in love with a friend and finding out they feel the same, satisfied something when I needed it at that particular time. It wasn't the sex, but that moment of recognition.

Last edited by Yitzock (June 11, 2016 1:53 am)

Clueing for looks.

June 11, 2016 6:03 am  #55

You guys all THINK so much about it. I just read Johnlock fics and it touches my heart. That's it.

And I am criticising neither you nor me. I am just wondering why I never gave it much thought.

Maybe it can also be explained with my sexuality. I don't fall in love with or have a crush on men or women but people.

And I guess I kind of see Johnlock the same way. To me, their souls (in need of a better word) fit perfectly so I imagine them being lovers and soul mates at the same time. To me, it would make no difference if they were both men or man and woman or two women.

That's also why I am so annoyed by the "But John is not gay" argument. He doesn't have to be to fall for Sherlock's soul. He doesn't have to have a label to be in love.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 11, 2016 6:26 am  #56

I think Johnlock is slightly different - it seems not be about shipping them as such, but about a theory that the writers are shipping them in the show.   Whereas what I'm talking about is more of a general thing, about women liking to write/read fiction about male/male pairings.  In that case, people are choosing the pairing based on the sex, at least to some extent.   Not to dismiss what you said at all - it's really interesting, but just saying that if it was representative (and no reason it needs to be representative - I'm sure where I'm coming from isn't representative either!), you might not expect male/male pairings to be a phenomenon in a way that pairings involving women don't seem to be.   (Of course, in fan fiction, that could just indicate that there are better written, more engaging male characters in the canon than female). 

I suppose it's an interesting question that you've raised - if John and Sherlock were a het pairing (as in Elementary, I suppose - I haven't seen it), would people feel the same about their relationship?   I think you're saying you would, Schmiezi, but I have a feeling it might not be the same for everybody.    I'm not even talking about sexual orientation here, more about there being something about them being two men, maybe. 

June 11, 2016 7:29 am  #57

The only difference for me(and I haven't actually watched that much Elementary)is that form the get go I could see Holmes and Watson as a potential couple.
Jonny appears to play a more sexualised and straight character and ok I suppose I possibly assumed Watson was straight. But as with John, it becomes fairly apparent that she does indeed date people of the opposite sex.
Whereas with BBC Sherlock: really from the start I got that John was straight, Sherlock I took to be asexual, though I suppose both of those could partly be taken from Canon.
John so far has exactly followed Canon Watson.
Sherlock too for me, though the team seem to have played up the Irene attraction a bit more.
I think over all my view of Sherlock and John are a mixture of Canon and what I see on screen, not form my own orientation or turn ons!

Last edited by besleybean (June 11, 2016 7:30 am)

June 11, 2016 10:25 pm  #58

Schmiezi wrote:

You guys all THINK so much about it. I just read Johnlock fics and it touches my heart. That's it.

And I am criticising neither you nor me. I am just wondering why I never gave it much thought.

Maybe it can also be explained with my sexuality. I don't fall in love with or have a crush on men or women but people.

And I guess I kind of see Johnlock the same way. To me, their souls (in need of a better word) fit perfectly so I imagine them being lovers and soul mates at the same time. To me, it would make no difference if they were both men or man and woman or two women.

That's also why I am so annoyed by the "But John is not gay" argument. He doesn't have to be to fall for Sherlock's soul. He doesn't have to have a label to be in love.

Wow, what a wonderful post, Schmiezi, thank you so much for that. You've expressed my feelings exactly. Especially the "falling in love with people" part is hitting the nail on the head for me. And the best example that this can work on a tv show - and I know I'm repeating myself here - is Ianto Jones in "Torchwood". The way he explains to his sister why all of a sudden he has fallen in love with a man is just beautiful and makes perfect sense.
And by the way, when I'm watching a tv show or a film it's not all that important whether or not they're giving me two men or two women or a man and a woman as a possible pairing. It's the chemistry that needs to be right. That's why Holmes and Watson in "Elementary" never did anything for me (although I guess their chemistry is getting better in later seasns), but Sherlock and John in BBC "Sherlock" made me go "Whoa!!" right from the beginning - and in my case the beginning was ASiB, because that was the first episode I ever saw. And seeing Sherlock and John there at the pool, their lives in danger and all that... I immediately felt there was more going on there than just your 'normal' male friendship.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 12, 2016 7:05 am  #59

Oh, there definitely is more than in the normal male friendship - I think that has been clear from the start. 

And maybe with you too, the sex has nothing to do with it - maybe you aren't drawn to male/male pairings in fiction, etc. at all, and ship people regardless of sex (Elementary wasn't a good example then.  I haven't seen it, but the equivalent would be John being a woman, for instance).  Besleybean, I think you're saying you don't ship unless it looks like the characters might do it themselves? Or have I misunderstood?  So it's their "real" potential to be a couple, rather than being drawn towards male/male couples. 

I suppose it just continues to show how diverse the reasons are.   If I go back to the beginning, for myself, I know I was exploring my own sexuality and same-sex interests at the time, but I think it's curious that I was interested in male/male pairings (rather than exclusively male/female or female/female - i.e. the ones I had experience of myself!).  This was not about shipping couples that went well together but reading and writing stories where they became couples.  I don't think it matters or is a problem at all - it's just interesting how it all works.

June 12, 2016 7:23 am  #60

I honestly can't remember how I felt either when I first read Canon or saw Rathbone/ Brett...let alone think where I was in my own personal journey at the time!
I certainly know I was aware of gay relationships from at least age 11 and I definitely remember shipping my fave male pop stars!
With BBC Sherlock: I can only repeat when I first saw the trailer I thought: ooh, are they going down the gay route?  I do hope so(as that, since being adult, has always been my personal interest).
But certainly by ep 2, I had decided that this was obviously just a close, male friendship.
Incidentally, can I explore that 'more than a normal male friendship' thing? I still remain unsure at exactly what contributors mean by this. Are people really unaware of such close, loving, male friendships in real life?
Directly with Holmes-Watson, just look how Downey and Law's partnership bubbled over into real life?
In literature, too..I always remember Michael Henchard and Donald in The Mayor of Casterbridge.
Again from a Brit perspective, I always cite the TV 'couple' Ant and Dec. Definitely not a couple, but virtually joined at the hip.
I think we also need to take account of Mark and Steven's own comments about how guys become close friends, too. To paraphrase they(maybe Steven) said: they just meet, they like each and that's it. Often it's something unspoken but they just like each pther then and so there after.
On your final point.
No, it doesn't matter at all.
Except in any instance you feel you are being accused of homophobia, just because you don't happen to see a gay paring.

Last edited by besleybean (June 12, 2016 7:24 am)

Board footera