BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2012 8:56 pm  #21

Re: "Sorry there's no double room..."

Davina wrote:

Burnt to a crisp? Lol. Just asking 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disguise is always a self portrait

August 27, 2012 1:34 pm  #22

ancientsgate wrote:

I've always wondered, though-- that scene by the fire in the pub that evening was so cringe-worthy, Sherlock was so awful to John, where do you suppose they each slept after that? I can imagine the cold silence between them in that one room, for sure. But that's off topic here, I realize.

Oh my God, I've often wondered that too. It's weird though, because Sherlock didn't apologise to John until the next day in the graveyard, so it kind of came across like they'd not seen each other.

Maybe one of them was already asleep in bed when the other came back, and then I think it was Sherlock that snuck off early the next morning, as he went round to Henry's house and started acting all weird with the coffee.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

August 27, 2012 1:45 pm  #23

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

I've always wondered, though-- that scene by the fire in the pub that evening was so cringe-worthy, Sherlock was so awful to John, where do you suppose they each slept after that? I can imagine the cold silence between them in that one room, for sure. But that's off topic here, I realize.

Oh my God, I've often wondered that too. It's weird though, because Sherlock didn't apologise to John until the next day in the graveyard, so it kind of came across like they'd not seen each other.

Maybe one of them was already asleep in bed when the other came back, and then I think it was Sherlock that snuck off early the next morning, as he went round to Henry's house and started acting all weird with the coffee.

I assumed that John had slept somewhere else, but I don't have a clue WHERE he would have gone.
If it had been me, I'd have asked Henry and stayed at his house. After all, it is a huge,empty house and Henry is uncomfortable staying alone, he might have appreciated the company. But I guess from what we see in the episode that didn't happen.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

August 27, 2012 6:53 pm  #24

hypergreenfrog wrote:

I assumed that John had slept somewhere else, but I don't have a clue WHERE he would have gone.
If it had been me, I'd have asked Henry and stayed at his house. After all, it is a huge,empty house and Henry is uncomfortable staying alone, he might have appreciated the company. But I guess from what we see in the episode that didn't happen.

John could of crashed all night on a pew in the church 

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 27, 2012 7:04 pm  #25

Or he could have slept in the car.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 27, 2012 7:57 pm  #26

KeepersPrice wrote:

hypergreenfrog wrote:

John could of crashed all night on a pew in the church 

And Davina said he could have slept in the car. That Range Rover was large enough to curl up in, but cold!

He could have pitched a tent in the graveyard, where Sherlock found him the next AM.

But knowing John a little bit, as I feel I do, I imagine he went right to their room, kept to himself, washed up, laid down, and just went to sleep in the silence. Maybe Sherlock stayed down by the fire, dozing in that chair until 5AM.  See, this is why we need fan fic, to answer these questions......  *g*

August 27, 2012 8:58 pm  #27

Where did he get a tent from? If he slept in the Range Rover he could make sure Sherlock didn't go driving off in it once he had had a drink in the pub.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 28, 2012 12:01 am  #28

Davina wrote:

Where did he get a tent from? If he slept in the Range Rover he could make sure Sherlock didn't go driving off in it once he had had a drink in the pub. 

He asked the gay innkeepers and borrowed theirs. I don't know where he got a tent from.... make something up!  *g* For that matter, he wouldn't sleep in either a tent or the Range Rover without a nice warm sleeping bag.... I get the feeling it's cold in them thar hills at night.

August 28, 2012 1:47 am  #29

ancientsgate wrote:

But knowing John a little bit, as I feel I do, I imagine he went right to their room, kept to himself, washed up, laid down, and just went to sleep in the silence. Maybe Sherlock stayed down by the fire, dozing in that chair until 5AM.  See, this is why we need fan fic, to answer these questions......  *g*

I have to agree with you AG.  John did come back to the inn to have his ill fated chat-up with Henry's therapist in the lounge. So he was already back inside.  Most likely he headed straight up to bed - even though I think the doctor (and friend) in him might have given a quick check in the fireplace room to see if Sherlock was okay.  Whether Sherlock was there or not is another story.  He could have sat beside the fireplace all night brooding and thinking or maybe he went outside to try to walk it off.  Either way, I think he would have been too restless to go to the room.  Maybe he purposely walked on the moors all night in a determined effort to squarely face down those nasty fears.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

August 28, 2012 10:48 am  #30

ancientsgate wrote:

But knowing John a little bit, as I feel I do, I imagine he went right to their room, kept to himself, washed up, laid down, and just went to sleep in the silence.

This makes the most sense to me. I mean think about it. How many other fights have these two most likely had on a daily basis. John certainly has had to learn to live with frost in the air.

Disguise is always a self portrait

August 28, 2012 1:03 pm  #31

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

But knowing John a little bit, as I feel I do, I imagine he went right to their room, kept to himself, washed up, laid down, and just went to sleep in the silence.

This makes the most sense to me. I mean think about it. How many other fights have these two most likely had on a daily basis. John certainly has had to learn to live with frost in the air.

And the frustrating thing would be, that damned Sherlock wouldn't be in the least bit upset or frosty, after he'd said his piece. He simply says what he wants to, exactly what he means to, to whomever he wants, and be damned with their pesky feelings, reactions or any fallout whatsoever. Imagine having a fight with someone like that; I cannot think of anything more frustrating-- how do you fight with a damned wall? So yes, John would be well-schooled in just getting on with things, putting his hurt or confusion aside, and just doing the next thing on Sherlock's agenda-- knowing for sure that so it has always been, and so it will always be. I do think, though, in that AM scene in Hounds, with Sherlock finding John seated out in the graveyard (how metaphoric was that, I ask you), maybe John was toying with the idea of telling Sherlock to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. John? John! You are AMAZING! You are FANTASTIC! *chuckle* "Yes, all right. Don't overdo it."

August 28, 2012 10:34 pm  #32

ancientsgate wrote:

Sentimental Pulse wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

And the frustrating thing would be, that damned Sherlock wouldn't be in the least bit upset or frosty, after he'd said his piece. He simply says what he wants to, exactly what he means to, to whomever he wants, and be damned with their pesky feelings, reactions or any fallout whatsoever. Imagine having a fight with someone like that; I cannot think of anything more frustrating-- how do you fight with a damned wall? So yes, John would be well-schooled in just getting on with things, putting his hurt or confusion aside, and just doing the next thing on Sherlock's agenda-- knowing for sure that so it has always been, and so it will always be. I do think, though, in that AM scene in Hounds, with Sherlock finding John seated out in the graveyard (how metaphoric was that, I ask you), maybe John was toying with the idea of telling Sherlock to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. John? John! You are AMAZING! You are FANTASTIC! *chuckle* "Yes, all right. Don't overdo it."

Exactly this, guys. ^^

I kinda like the idea of Sherlock wandering the moors or staying by the fire all night.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 6, 2013 6:01 pm  #33

There's always the fact that Sherlock NEVER corrected anybody ... just to feed the fandom. :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Freeman is adorable!

January 19, 2014 7:59 pm  #34

hypergreenfrog wrote:

That is an interesting essay, and well written.
I agree with the writer that Irene's speech probably made John rethink his attitude a bit, maybe even stopped him getting annoyed at the frequent references to them being a couple.

Yet, regarding the observations about "Hounds", I agree with Kazza that they are quite far fetched:
- They didn't book ahead, so probably John just asked if they had any spare rooms at all. We know nothing that would suggest otherwise.
- Sherlock sent John the picture of the therapist, he wouldn't have done that if he knew that John had decided to give up dating for a while (and we can trust Sherlock would know about that, even if John had not actually told him ).

I have never mentioned this anywhere, because it's not relevant at all, but I actually found that scene with the landlord of the inn slightly ridiculous. Here is a man who is in a gay relationship himself - of all people, he should know that even in the 21st century not every gay couple feels comfortable being addressed as such in public, and that quite a few people still take offense at being mistaken for being gay. Why would he boldly address two men walking into his inn (seperately) as a couple?

I general, I might agree, but...didn't Sherlock walk past them through the bar right before then? And didn't John kind of gaze after him dreamily? And maybe some people would interpret Sherlock's gaze as checking John out?

And some people have argued about whether "double room" refers to a room with one bed or two beds. So maybe he's apologizing for providing one bed instead of one room with two beds. So at first, John was saying it was ok that they had one bed!

January 20, 2014 9:19 am  #35

If  I remember correctly the innkeeper apologises for not having a double room (one bed) but only a twin (two beds in one room). He supposes a couple surely would prefer to sleep in one bed.
This of course changes a lot of things, especially how they spent the night after the row in the fireplace scene. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 20, 2014 9:44 am  #36

I always assumed (and I admit that I haven't really been clueing for further looks in the episode about that) that Sherlock probably sat by the fire for a long time after John had left, so when Sherlock eventually came into their room John was already asleep. Someone here already mentioned this, and I would agree.
Another possibility of course would be that Sherlock simply didn't sleep at all that night - after all, he sometimes doesn't sleep for days, right? So maybe that was one of those nights.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 20, 2014 9:55 am  #37

Yes, I think they did not spend the night in the same room. I just remembered the discussion if they had one room or two. 

P.S. I just checked Ariane deVere's transcript and there is nothing to prove they had one room. So sorry for getting on a wrong track. Here is the dialogue:

CROSS KEYS INN. As Sherlock prowls around the pub, John is at the bar checking in. The manager and barman, Gary, hands him some keys.
GARY: Eh, sorry we couldn’t do a double room for you boys.
JOHN: That’s fine. We-we’re not ...
(He looks at the smug knowing smile on Gary’s face and gives up.)

If you want to make sure have a look at how many keys he gives to John. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 20, 2014 10:18 am  #38

Susi, now that you've posted the transcript, I remember it, too.
And I also remember that when I saw the episode for the first time, I was thinking to myself 'so did John ask for a double room when he did the booking...?'.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 20, 2014 10:37 am  #39

January 21, 2014 6:56 am  #40

I do not think John ever asked for a double room. It was the landlord who assumed he and Sheryl are a couple. John doesn't bother explaing that they aren't a couple. 
I never noticed anything indicating that John has stopped dating.
Nor is John planning on sharing a bed with Sheryl.
Who is fantasizing that John wants to sleep with Sheryl?
John is not gay, nor is Sheryl. (Ask Janine and Mary)
There is no Johnlock.

Board footera