BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2016 8:41 pm  #1181

Re: Series 4 Setlock (potential spoilers)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 7, 2016 10:21 pm  #1182

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 8, 2016 1:44 am  #1183

OMG SusiGo thank you for sharing! This would fit my theory.

May 8, 2016 7:39 am  #1184

OMG.
So am I reading that right?
Marycroft?!
Well I assume a marriage of convenience, or it didn't work out.
Would they go there?
Or is it mourning for another?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 8, 2016 7:48 am  #1185

That wife!  How would Sherlock not have known Mary, if she had been married to Mycroft, even if it was a marriage of convenience?  I don't think so ... although it would explain Mycroft not going to the wedding and warning Sherlock!    I don't think Mycroft would be "in mourning" for Mary as a colleague, or as a friend.  So if it's her, there has to be more of a connection than we know about.  Or it's somebody else. 

May 8, 2016 7:55 am  #1186

Hm, that's probably me being thick, but why has this necessarily a connection to Mary? 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 8, 2016 9:37 am  #1187

I actually thought if Mycroft was mourning the loss of a spouse, it would a husband.
So maybe he's just showing courtesy in mourning Mary.
But if he had sacrificed a spouse for The Cause.
He may expect John to do the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 8, 2016 9:54 am  #1188

I kind of assume he's gay, but that doesn't rule out a marriage of convenience.  (I know he wears the ring, but I wonder about him being married at all.  The "goldfish" conversation suggested that he'd never been interested in having his own goldfish - so who would be near his level that he could be married to?). 

May 8, 2016 9:57 am  #1189

Good point.
A bit like John choosing a smart best pal and an equally smart wife.

May 8, 2016 11:11 am  #1190

What does that have to do with what Liberty said?

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 8, 2016 11:17 am  #1191

mrshouse wrote:

What does that have to do with what Liberty said?

I just want es to write down the very same question. I cannot follow the logical here, sorry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 8, 2016 11:23 am  #1192

I think what besley meant (though she can correct me if I'm off) that John is smart (even if in a different way than Sherlock is) and so he has smart people in his life close to him. Similarly, Mycroft would have to find someonne that he didn't find too stupid to want to marry that person.
And if I may add my own thought, it's kind of like how John (and also Sherlock for that matter), chooses friends and his wife based on the fact that he doesn't want a life that doesn't have excitement or that's boring.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 8, 2016 11:26 am)

Clueing for looks.

May 8, 2016 11:45 am  #1193

Okay , but that leads us back to that John didn't have the full and true information about his girl when he chose to marry her. But that is probably for the Mary thread.

May 8, 2016 11:55 am  #1194

While I could see Mycroft marrying for appearances sake, Mark said the ring is not a wedding ring. We have not seen an outward sign of mourning from Mycroft the last time a family member was "dead". So maybe someone work-related? He seems to tolerate "Athena" on a long term basis, but are they close enough for him to show any outward signs of mourning if she'd died? 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 8, 2016 2:05 pm  #1195

On the last point: I would doubt it.

May 8, 2016 5:08 pm  #1196

besleybean wrote:

I actually thought if Mycroft was mourning the loss of a spouse, it would a husband.

me too.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

May 8, 2016 5:16 pm  #1197

I seriously doubt it.  I don't believe that either of the Holmses are homosexual.  In fact, I know that Sherlock isn't, and neither is John.  If anything, Sherlock comes across as asexual, and I rather suspect that Mycroft is, too.  Neither of them appear to be the least bit interested in dating or getting married.  By Sherlock's own admission in "A Study in Pink", he's married to his work, and I suspect that the same could be said for Mycroft.

Last edited by kgreen20 (May 8, 2016 5:19 pm)

May 8, 2016 5:24 pm  #1198

kgreen20 wrote:

I seriously doubt it.  I don't believe that either of the Holmses are homosexual.  In fact, I know that Sherlock isn't, and neither is John.  If anything, Sherlock comes across as asexual, and I rather suspect that Mycroft is, too.  Neither of them appear to be the least bit interested in dating or getting married.  By Sherlock's own admission in "A Study in Pink", he's married to his work, and I suspect that the same could be said for Mycroft.

How can you "know" it? Sorry, but I'd guess that you have to think, analyze and believe, like the rest of us. Unless you are involved in the process of making the show. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 8, 2016 5:26 pm  #1199

I would say celibate rather than asexual, but I think it means much the same thing - he has put aside that part of his life (even though he does sometimes feel "urges").  Mycroft is kind of aloof and I'd have assumed he did much the same thing, if it wasn't for his ribbing of Sherlock over being a virgin - it implies that Mycroft most definitely isn't.  I'm just guessing that Mycroft is gay, whereas Sherlock has shown a little bit of attraction to women but is still a bit ambiguous, I think . 

May 8, 2016 5:28 pm  #1200

I don't think he is mourning his spouse. I don't think he wears a ring as a sign of his own marriage. Someone he considers close to him may be 'dead' though. I think Mary. 

Board footera