BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2016 4:14 pm  #3501

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Sexually, he may have to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 3, 2016 5:11 pm  #3502

Even if Johnlock is happening in the show as of now, there are no sighs of Mary being jealous about the relationship between John and Sherlock, if anything, she seems eager to join in. But that is a bit besides the point here. I think the decision that TPTB made very continuously in the show is to not have a Mary that forces John to decide between Sherlock and her. And Sherlock does not make John decide either. he sacrifices himself for Mary, seemingly without John's consent (unless one believes that shooting CAM was the plan).

All that aside, the aftermath of the shooting remains strange to me and I still have not been able to come up with a satisfactory explanation for myself. I can kind of get why Sherlock would not really hold the shooting against Mary (she did say sorry, and that is what you are supposed to do, so why be "unreasonable" and hold a grunge - for me, that kind of works for his character). But why is John so cool about the shooting, and so solely focussed on the lying? Why did Mycroft not have Mary for breakfast after he finds out that she dared to lay hand on his little brother? Why, basically, does Mummy seem to be the only one bothered by the fact that someone shot Sherlock? 
Then again, that might be more a discussion for the individual character threads, because it has more to do with the reactions of the characters then with Mary's actions.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 3, 2016 5:40 pm  #3503

It's kind of like the writers have made Mary the Common-Sense and Logic Black Hole for John. Nothing has to make sense as long as one gets the end result desired. That desired result was (apparently) Happy Marriage and Baby for John, so-- logic in terms of characterization just seemed to get thrown out the window! 
So, John makes decisions that are totally contradictory to the John we knew in S1 &2.  This is a different guy. Unless....it's all a trap. (Fingers crossed!) 

May 3, 2016 5:41 pm  #3504

Vhanja wrote:

When did he have to choose between Sherlock and Mary?

At Christmas. 

May 3, 2016 5:45 pm  #3505

How so?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 3, 2016 5:53 pm  #3506

Lola Red wrote:

I can kind of get why Sherlock would not really hold the shooting against Mary (she did say sorry, and that is what you are supposed to do, so why be "unreasonable" and hold a grunge - for me, that kind of works for his character).

When did she say sorry? Do you mean before shooting him?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 3, 2016 5:57 pm  #3507

I'm assuming so.

May 3, 2016 6:07 pm  #3508

besleybean wrote:

I'm assuming so.

You're assuming that she apologized offscreen after shooting Sherlock? Just clarifying. 

May 3, 2016 6:08 pm  #3509

No, she apologised on screen.

May 3, 2016 6:49 pm  #3510

besleybean wrote:

No, she apologised on screen.

And then shoots him anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 3, 2016 6:55 pm  #3511

Schmiezi wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

I can kind of get why Sherlock would not really hold the shooting against Mary (she did say sorry, and that is what you are supposed to do, so why be "unreasonable" and hold a grunge - for me, that kind of works for his character).

No, directly after shooting him. As so many people claim that she never apologized I am not sure if it is cut from the US version (those I think are a few minutes shorter usually that the BBC version), but it is definitely there in the version I saw. She says: "I'm sorry Sherlock, I truly am."

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 3, 2016 7:04 pm  #3512

When John forces out his forgiveness in the underground carriage, it feels like it takes him a lot of effort. I also see this effort in his speech at christmas. It took him months to get there, and he struggles with the words. So I feel both is genuine.

I think John just accepts that people like Mary and Sherlock are just the way they are. With their flaws. I don't see ignorance or not-caring, I see acceptance.

And I think their similarities are also the reason why they get along, and why Sherlock forgives Mary. I cannot imagine how Mary comes up to Sherlock and apologizes with flowery words. He wouldn't care for it. Maybe she knows that. I think he takes her apology serious... as soon as he understands the backround, later.

I find it interesting how Sherlock's Mum reacts to Mary. I think she likes her. And not because she belongs to John who belongs to Sherlock. I get a feeling she just thinks Mary is nice. Likeable.

we don't get Mrs. Hudons reaction after the reveal. I'd like to see that.

Last edited by Whisky (May 3, 2016 7:05 pm)

"It is what it is."

May 3, 2016 7:08 pm  #3513

This is funny. I see a big difference between Johns acceptance with Sherlock in the underground carriage and with Mary at Christmas.
Which makes ME feel the first one was genuine whereas the second wasn't.

Oh, when I think twice: There actually was nothing to accept from Mary at Christmas....

Last edited by Mattlocked (May 3, 2016 7:10 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 3, 2016 7:11 pm  #3514

Sherlock's Mum? We saw her with a knife, and threatening to act monstrously towards the person who put a bullet in her boy.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 3, 2016 7:25 pm  #3515

Though she knows nothing of the details.

May 3, 2016 7:33 pm  #3516

Lola Red wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

No, directly after shooting him. As so many people claim that she never apologized I am not sure if it is cut from the US version (those I think are a few minutes shorter usually that the BBC version), but it is definitely there in the version I saw. She says: "I'm sorry Sherlock, I truly am."

Somehow, I doubt her sincerity, in either case. If she was truly sorry, she wouldn't have shot him in the first place.

May 3, 2016 7:41 pm  #3517

Whisky wrote:

When John forces out his forgiveness in the underground carriage, it feels like it takes him a lot of effort. I also see this effort in his speech at christmas. It took him months to get there, and he struggles with the words. So I feel both is genuine.

I think John just accepts that people like Mary and Sherlock are just the way they are. With their flaws. I don't see ignorance or not-caring, I see acceptance.

And I think their similarities are also the reason why they get along, and why Sherlock forgives Mary. I cannot imagine how Mary comes up to Sherlock and apologizes with flowery words. He wouldn't care for it. Maybe she knows that. I think he takes her apology serious... as soon as he understands the backround, later.

I find it interesting how Sherlock's Mum reacts to Mary. I think she likes her. And not because she belongs to John who belongs to Sherlock. I get a feeling she just thinks Mary is nice. Likeable.

we don't get Mrs. Hudons reaction after the reveal. I'd like to see that.

Mummy might like Mary, but God help Mary, if Mummy should ever find out " who put a bullet in her boy!" She'd become absolutely monstrous.

Being Likeable shouldn't mean that the law and basic human decency, and Errrrrr ...not attempting to murder the best friend of her husband to cover up her past -- shouldn't apply to Mary. After all, there have been lots of serial killers who were quite "likable", until they murdered someone. And, of course, after they got caught. 

I mean, does anyone think that Mummy would forgive Mary if she knew the truth?

May 3, 2016 7:45 pm  #3518

Question on whether an apology is acceptable: If someone walked up, slapped you really, really hard in the face, ( for something that wasn't your fault!) and then said to you, " I'm sorry___, I truly am", how seriously would you take that apology? Would you be in a hurry to forgive? Just asking.

May 3, 2016 7:48 pm  #3519

Well, it seems that Sherlock has forgiven her.

I don't see a choice between Sherlock and Mary at Christmas. Could you please elaborate what you mean?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2016 8:08 pm  #3520

What I meant is exactly that: without knowing Marys backstory or that she killed Sherlock (yes, even if it was only for a moment), she seems likeable.

So if we leave that behind, she could be just that - to John, to Sherlock... if the forgiveness is real, there is a person John can still love, and Sherlock can still like.

I'm not saying I would act like that. Just trying to see what Sherlock and John do there.

"It is what it is."

Board footera