BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 8, 2016 8:24 pm  #181

Re: Series 4 Setlock (potential spoilers)

I suspect that this is where a more detailed knowledge of his past would come in handy, and not just of his war years, either.

April 8, 2016 8:35 pm  #182

SolarSystem wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Well for me it doesn't matter how Sherlock faked his death, he just did.

Oh, Steven would be quite proud of you. That's exactly how he goes about so many things these days, especially in Doctor Who. "It's the Doctor, get over it!" is basically the explanation to everything. "It's Sherlock, he faked his death, get over it!" works just as well.

I must agree. It's not important how he did it, despite all the speculations it never was, only as John had said: why?
Personally I believe the third explanation is technically true, but the circumstances are not. Sherlock told Anderson, it was well planned and prepared in advance and I think, this is a lie. It was desperate, last minute (okay last hours) action.

There's only one situation, when the question "How?" will be important - if Moriarty is really alive and faked his suicide too!

April 8, 2016 8:37 pm  #183

I have to agree, even though I am of course curious and wants to know how he did it, it's not that important to me. I buy the last version in TEH, and am happy with that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 9:24 pm  #184

To write a show about the detective and to have him do mundane things like that is like engaging Picasso to polish your toilet or engaging Isaac Newton to wash your dishes... a waste of time and talent.

Will Sherlock really pick Baby Watson up? Will he change her nappies or not? Oh, I´m feeling "thrilled" already! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 8, 2016 9:25 pm  #185

I have faith in Moftiss and their plans for the show. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 9:52 pm  #186

nakahara wrote:

Will Sherlock really pick Baby Watson up? Will he change her nappies or not? Oh, I´m feeling "thrilled" already! 

And you're not the only one...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 8, 2016 10:00 pm  #187

Almost makes me wonder why you bother following Setlock and the show if this is what your thoughts about the show are.

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 10:12 pm  #188

Vhanja wrote:

Almost makes me wonder why you bother following Setlock and the show if this is what your thoughts about the show are.

I do it as a sociological experiment - to see how a detective show can be "successfully" turned into a family sitcom.
Will write a doctor´s work about that soon.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 8, 2016 10:18 pm  #189

I mean... it's understandable to grow out of a show, and not like the direction the show is going anymore. Happens all the time. But why keep posting sarcasm and negativity on a fan board on how horrible the creators, some of the characters (Mary and sometimes John) and the direction of the show is going are? 

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 10:19 pm  #190

Actually, I'm not really 'following' Setlock. I take notice of it on tumblr and that's about it.
Until now I only mentioned this to one person, but since we're more or less talking about it now: When it comes to "Sherlock", I'm in severe mourning. I used to love this show like crazy and I still am madly in love with S1 and S2. This changed with S3, and TAB didn't really help, either, in bringing back my love for the show. I do have trust in Mark Gatiss, by the way, but when it comes to Steven Moffat... I'm not so sure.
And well, I still follow the show because it used to be one of the most wonderful things in my life and I still feel very connected to it. You can stick with things even if your feelings towards them change. Just because there was a time when those feelings were different and you want those feelings back.

edit: I never called Moffat 'horrible'. And I'm sorry if this might be hard to take for some people, but he's not a saint, and even on a fan board it should be possible to mention the things one doesn't like about his writing - and that's all I did.

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 8, 2016 10:22 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 8, 2016 10:21 pm  #191

Opinions of every form are allowed on this forum (hopefully), not just unconditional praise.

April 8, 2016 10:23 pm  #192

I have no issue with people not liking the show anymore. Sometimes a fan's view of the show clashes horribly with the creators view of the show. That's fair and ok, I have no problem understanding it. And no show is perfect, and we should be free to be able to discuss all aspects of the show and give constructive criticism on various aspects on the show.

However, I am here on a fan board as a fan, and it makes me sad to repeatedly see posts that have no other function that sarcastics stings towards the writers or the characters of the show. I want to enjoy Setlock, not reading stabs like that all the time. 

Perhaps a separate thread where disappointed fans can vent their frustraion might be a good thing? Which is not do discuss and argue, but where people can freely talk about their frustrations and disappointments. 

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 10:25 pm  #193

nakahara wrote:

Opinions of every form are allowed on this forum (hopefully), not just unconditional praise.

Unconditional praise is not the only alternative to pure sarcasm.

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 10:37 pm  #194

Vhanja wrote:

I have no issue with people not liking the show anymore. Sometimes a fan's view of the show clashes horribly with the creators view of the show. That's fair and ok, I have no problem understanding it. And no show is perfect, and we should be free to be able to discuss all aspects of the show and give constructive criticism on various aspects on the show.

However, I am here on a fan board as a fan, and it makes me sad to repeatedly see posts that have no other function that sarcastics stings towards the writers or the characters of the show. I want to enjoy Setlock, not reading stabs like that all the time. 

Perhaps a separate thread where disappointed fans can vent their frustraion might be a good thing? Which is not do discuss and argue, but where people can freely talk about their frustrations and disappointments. 

Discussion is usually born among people with different opinions. Labelling every different opinion as sarcasm in an effort to stop others from discussing things they like / don´t like or they are disturbed about eventually leads to the forum full of slogans to which the opposition is not allowed.

You can freely ignore such "sarcastic" posts if you don´t like them, but to create the ghetto where every opinion you don´t like is put... that´s a very weird thing. Who would decide what belongs there? 

April 8, 2016 10:43 pm  #195

I am certainly not labeling every post I disagree with as as sarcasm. The only posts I label as sarcasm are those that are sarcastic. 

Yes, I could just ignore them, which is probably what I will have to do. But it ruins a bit of my experience of this forum, which I think is sad, as I view it as the only place where I can share the joy of Setlock with other fans. It's a fan forum, after all. Why not post your view as constructive criticism instead? 

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 11:00 pm  #196

Constuctive criticism is only possible if the other side can hear you. According to a definition: "The purpose of 'constructive criticism is to improve the outcome. In collaborative work, this kind of criticism is a valuable tool in raising and maintaining performance standards."
But this is impossible where the authors criticised are being absent and far from you and where your opinion never reaches them. Which is the case here - Moftiss will never hear nor will they care about my opinion. My constructive criticism might hardly "improve" their work.
But other fans might like to discuss my views on things with me, even if they are negative. This is the role of the forum. Negative or positive opinion - every one of them might resonate with somebody.
So I´m still against any ghettoisation of such opinions or views. I too don´t agree with every member who writes some opinion on the forum, but I was never robbed of anything by learning about their views in turn.

Last edited by nakahara (April 8, 2016 11:01 pm)

April 8, 2016 11:05 pm  #197

I would very much like to discuss your opinions with you, when they are presented in a constructive way. Moftiss aren't perfect, John aren't perfect, Mary certainly isn't perfect. I am more than willing to discuss a nuanced view on anything that has to do with Sherlock - nothing that has to do with this show is perfect and unicorn-rainbow-lovely.

However, I just wish it would be presented in a way that doesn't make me feel like it's only pure sarcasm, like there is NOTHING to like about Moftiss, about John, about Mary. I love nuances, I hate black-and-white. 

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 11:10 pm  #198

But I can´t know if you´ll view my wording as a pure sarcasm unless the post is already out. 

OK, we kidnapped this thread for a while, so let´s return back now to a last word from Louise Brealey now. Probably on her way home:

They will probably not be filming through thr weekend or would they?

April 8, 2016 11:13 pm  #199

They might, I know that movies/series have filmed weekends before. Oh, my, I've BEEN there. I remember when John says to Mycroft that it's "great for the Jubilee line" and I had just BEEN on that line. *fans herself* 

Sorry. Getting way too excited about a tube line. ^^

Team Hudders!

April 8, 2016 11:20 pm  #200

I would be excited too. 

Board footera