BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 10, 2016 6:14 pm  #661

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

tonnaree wrote:

If by some slim chance Mary was working for Mycroft, why was she still standing at the end of HLV.  There is no universe where I can imagine Mycroft not putting her in a deep dark hole for shooting his brother.

Plot device, tonnaree, nothing more, nothing less. The whole character of Mary is a plot device, as is every single up and down thing we've seen her do and say since we met her.

January 10, 2016 6:15 pm  #662

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Perhaps she is useful... 

Perhaps she is fictional and therefore not held to the standards of rational behavior that the rest of us have to live by. ???

January 10, 2016 6:16 pm  #663

Nobody's gonna shoot you.
If they do, let's hope you get Mary, cos people survive after she shoots them!
I am quite certain that Steven and Mark know exactly where they are going with the character of Mary.
Whether people on this board like it or not, is another matter entirely.
I haven't seen anything Mary does as irrational.
Misguided yes, irrational, no.

Last edited by besleybean (January 10, 2016 6:17 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2016 6:26 pm  #664

Sherlock's survival was an act of will.   His heart had stopped and his brain was going to die.  The doctors had given up!  

I for one do not buy the surgery explanation and will be deeply disappointed if it stands.  

I think that the philosophy of "Keep your enemies closer" is the main reason she is still around at the end of HLV.  

I have seen nothing so far to completely rule out my theories and they will carry on into S4.     

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 10, 2016 6:30 pm  #665

No, well of course none of us really know the full path for Mary.
But always in my mind ring the team's words: she's done wrong in her past, trying to make amends.
But whatever we think is going to happen with her, I still feel that if she was any real and immediate danger- she would have been dealt with by now.
My personal view: they were going to bring her in anyway(Canon), so she was a plot device to work in CAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2016 6:40 pm  #666

The team lie.   I never take their words as gospel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 10, 2016 6:42 pm  #667

Well we'll see.
Certainly, Mary and Moriarty are the outstanding questions for me.

January 10, 2016 6:47 pm  #668

Well, whether Mary was working for Mycroft or not, we pretty much know for a fact that he has a good idea what her job is/was (I refuse to believe that he was casually letting somebody he thought to be "just" a nurse access secret files, and asking their opinion on security).   We also pretty much know for a fact that Mary knows that Mycroft knows, and that she's not hiding it from him.   

I don't buy the surgery explanation either, but I can accept it in the context of the show, and the story we're being told.  The alternative (that Mary was trying to kill Sherlock) doesn't make sense either - why didn't she?  Why didn't she kill him earlier, or later in hospital?  Why didn't she shoot him in the head and destroy the knowledge that way?  She's a skilled assassin, after all, shooting an unarmed man at close quarters.  Believe me, I've gone over and over it in my head and the end I think I've got to accept whatever fits best with the other things we are being shown. particularly Sherlock deducing that she meant him to live. 

There's also the fact that Sherlock was clearly ready to give up his freedom and possibly his life to protect her.    I think Mycroft might be reluctant to have her killed off, for that reason alone.   

January 10, 2016 7:22 pm  #669

Well, in a universe where people apparently can will themselves back from death, I'm quite happy to believe that someone can survive a liver injury. 

January 10, 2016 7:23 pm  #670

Me too.
The liver is very good at healing itself.

January 10, 2016 7:27 pm  #671

Cheers.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 10, 2016 7:29 pm  #672

Well I don't drink alcohol.
But speaking as someone who was diagnosed with a dodgy liver, I am assured they can be healed!

January 10, 2016 7:43 pm  #673

Surviving a liver injury (is it ever specified?) isn't the issue for me - I'm quite happy to believe that in real life, Mary could have shot meaning only to incapacitate, and Sherlock could have flatlined.  It's just that in a story, I think it would have worked better if he hadn't been so close to death.    I'm sure Sherlock's deduction comes partly from the fact that he survived, but it's not such a great clue if he only survived by a tiny chance.   But as the rest of his deduction points to Mary wanting him alive, and we know that she could have made sure he was dead (then or later) if she'd really wanted to, then I can accept it.   It just feels a bit messy. 

But anyway ... IF Mycroft had hired Mary to go for Magnussen, he might feel partially responsible too. 

January 10, 2016 11:16 pm  #674

besleybean wrote:

Yeah, Sherlock might be working out that Mary works for Mycroft in real life.
Thinking about it, it seems odd that Sherlock never thought:wow, did Mycroft not know about Mary?!
Then we get constant reminders from Mycroft, that Sherlock should not get involved and stay away from cases...

That´s why I would not cry if they by chance decide to get rid of Mycroft in S4.

I can´t imagine watching "Poirot", for example, and instead of enjoying the sight of Hercule Poirot solving cases, being subjected to his brother Achille Poirot mocking him, humiliating him and keeping him away from cases... and that happening in every single episode.

Such things have no place in a show "about the detective".

Mycroft in S1 was actually giving cases to Sherlock instead of keeping him away from them. I don´t know why they decided to change him into that overbearing, paternalistic bully who cannot accept Sherlock as an adult, autonomous being and who must keep him from his calling and from his job.

I must say, for me, this feature of the story overstayed its welcome and the show would be better without it.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 10, 2016 11:27 pm  #675

Liberty wrote:

I think it's pretty explicit that Mary is working for Mycroft in the scene at the Diogenes club ("I now rely on you to keep an eye on things").  

Then in the present day, Mycroft isn't at all surprised to see Mary accessing top level files at MI5.  It's not a definite confirmation, but if Mary had worked for Mycroft in real life it would certainly explain why Sherlock sees her doing the same in his mind palace.

But the Diogenes Club only takes place at Sherlock´s mind palace and it says nothing about the present-day-Mary´s actual role. In MP, "England needs Mary", while we know that in RL, at the end of HLV, Sherlock was the person "needed by England"...

And when Mycroft asks Mary what she thinks about MI5 security, it´s painfully obvious she doesn´t work for him. If she was part of MI5, she would be already knowledgeable about the security system, her boss wouldn´t need to ask her about it there and then, as if she saw it for the first time...

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 11, 2016 6:41 am  #676

No, it was the first time Mycroft had first hand evidence of Mary hacking the system.
He might have suspected it for a long time.

January 11, 2016 8:16 am  #677

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I think it's pretty explicit that Mary is working for Mycroft in the scene at the Diogenes club ("I now rely on you to keep an eye on things").  

Then in the present day, Mycroft isn't at all surprised to see Mary accessing top level files at MI5.  It's not a definite confirmation, but if Mary had worked for Mycroft in real life it would certainly explain why Sherlock sees her doing the same in his mind palace.

But the Diogenes Club only takes place at Sherlock´s mind palace and it says nothing about the present-day-Mary´s actual role. In MP, "England needs Mary", while we know that in RL, at the end of HLV, Sherlock was the person "needed by England"...

And when Mycroft asks Mary what she thinks about MI5 security, it´s painfully obvious she doesn´t work for him. If she was part of MI5, she would be already knowledgeable about the security system, her boss wouldn´t need to ask her about it there and then, as if she saw it for the first time...

Sorry, I should have quoted .. that was in answer to Ancientsgate's comment about Mary working for Mycroft (in the mind palace) was that she says she's going to help "England".  But I think the scene at the Diogenes club makes it very clear. 

Yes, it's Sherlock's mind palace, but he has everybody more or less carrying out the same roles as they do in "real life".  He's the consulting detective, John's his army doctor friend who helps him on cases, Mrs Hudson's the housekeeper/landlady, Molly's the pathologist, Lestrade works for the police, Mycroft works for the government.   If Mary's John's wife and a nurse who also works for Mycroft, I think it's a huge hint that Mary has worked for Mycroft in real life.  Why else would Sherlock add that detail? 

Then in the plane scene, the revelation is that Mycroft isn't at all surprised at Mary having access to top level security.  What that shows to me is that he's aware of who she is - he's seeing her as an intelligence agent.   That wouldn't be proof at all that she'd worked for him, of course.   But it's definitely new information for us.   But it's not such a leap from Mycroft being aware of Mary's role to him having employed her at some point (surely he does engage agents?  He mentions one in TEH, for instance).  That would explain why Sherlock gave her that role in his mind palace. 

January 11, 2016 8:20 am  #678

nakahara wrote:

Mycroft in S1 was actually giving cases to Sherlock instead of keeping him away from them. I don´t know why they decided to change him into that overbearing, paternalistic bully who cannot accept Sherlock as an adult, autonomous being and who must keep him from his calling and from his job.

I must say, for me, this feature of the story overstayed its welcome and the show would be better without it.

It's not just Mycroft - they seem to want to present Sherlock as childlike, and have people treat him as such.   It's a bit of characterisation that I could do without.   I'm happy for him to have childlike aspects, but I think it goes a bit far.

January 11, 2016 8:48 am  #679

Liberty wrote:

If Mary's John's wife and a nurse who also works for Mycroft, I think it's a huge hint that Mary has worked for Mycroft in real life.  Why else would Sherlock add that detail? 

There are many details in there that Sherlock´s mind added to the story but which are not true in RL.
For example, John doesn´t wear moustaches and I doubt he would be so vain in present-day-reality to grow one only to impress the public.
Molly is definitely not the macho murderer as presented here.
Mary´s role could be completely conjured up by him either.

Liberty wrote:

Then in the plane scene, the revelation is that Mycroft isn't at all surprised at Mary having access to top level security.  What that shows to me is that he's aware of who she is - he's seeing her as an intelligence agent.   That wouldn't be proof at all that she'd worked for him, of course.  

Yes and that´s what I was pointing out. mycroft can be aware that Mary is an agent, but I doubt they work together. Their interaction doesn´t seem like they work together - it rather seems to me, like Mycroft is forced to tolerate her but is not too happy about it.

January 11, 2016 8:53 am  #680

Liberty wrote:

nakahara wrote:

It's not just Mycroft - they seem to want to present Sherlock as childlike, and have people treat him as such.   It's a bit of characterisation that I could do without.   I'm happy for him to have childlike aspects, but I think it goes a bit far.

True.

I could cope when Mycroft was doing it in S1 and S2, because it was not constant and it reflected worse on Mycroft than on Sherlock (it emphasised how unhealthy overbearing he is).

But suddenly, everybody and their dog, including Mary, John, Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade, Molly... they all behave as if Sherlock is a child, as if he cannot comprehend the intricacies of life and needs constant patronising and a leading hand from others. And they treat him with contempt.

I wonder why this is the direction in which the authors want to take the character of Sherlock.

Board footera