BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2016 10:53 pm  #2541

Re: The special - the game is on (spoilers)

My heart is aflame..................Can't wait to watch it again on US time.    

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 1, 2016 11:40 pm  #2542

No spoilers, but let me just say that this was MUCH better than I thought it would be. My mind is officially blown.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2016 8:22 am  #2543

I concur on the last point...haven't got to the other thread, yet!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2016 9:56 am  #2544

Vhanja wrote:

No spoilers, but let me just say that this was MUCH better than I thought it would be. My mind is officially blown.

I agree, too. It definitely restored my faith in Mofftiss. Well done.

January 4, 2016 10:27 am  #2545

I never lost faith!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2016 8:50 pm  #2546

For the German members here some information regarding the ARD (nothing new by the way, it just interesting that this channel still doesn't get it, that's what we are paying GEZ for, thank you very much)

http://sherlock-de.com/2016/01/03/antwort-der-ard/

It seems like the German title will be "Die Braut des Grauens" sounds like a cheap horror movie from the 1970s.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 9, 2016 9:10 pm  #2547

What an abominable title! 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2016 9:16 pm  #2548

lol The (often unreliable) Google translate tells me that in English it is "The Bride of Horror." Is that accurate? That does sound kind of funny.

Clueing for looks.

January 9, 2016 9:21 pm  #2549

Yes, quite accurate.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2016 9:59 pm  #2550

Ivy wrote:

For the German members here some information regarding the ARD (nothing new by the way, it just interesting that this channel still doesn't get it, that's what we are paying GEZ for, thank you very much)

http://sherlock-de.com/2016/01/03/antwort-der-ard/

It seems like the German title will be "Die Braut des Grauens" sounds like a cheap horror movie from the 1970s.

They are probably referencing "Nosferatu: symphonie des Grauens", very famous horror movie (and the favourite of Mark Gatiss). Maybe they want to emphasise that the Special is outwardly presented as a horror. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 9, 2016 10:06 pm  #2551

You could be right although knowing ARD I wonder if they are truly that intellectual. 

January 9, 2016 10:07 pm  #2552

Mmmmhh, I can't find the title so bad. What would be the alternative? Die Braut des Schreckens? The same meaning IMO. Or does abominable has an ambiguous meaning I didn't get?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 9, 2016 10:15 pm  #2553

It is a reference to "Ricoletti and his abominable wife" from ACD Canon. 

January 9, 2016 10:43 pm  #2554

I don't feel so bad about the Danish title anymore!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 9, 2016 10:48 pm  #2555

Here is a link for German speakers:

http://sherlock-de.com/2016/01/03/die-braut-des-grauens/

It lists some examples from published translations which are all very true to the original. It would have been no problem to choose one of these. But maybe they will still change the title. It has not been made official so far. 

January 9, 2016 10:51 pm  #2556

nakahara wrote:

They are probably referencing "Nosferatu: symphonie des Grauens", very famous horror movie (and the favourite of Mark Gatiss). Maybe they want to emphasise that the Special is outwardly presented as a horror. 

I agree with Susi, I don't think that was there intention.
I know Nosferatu, anyone should, it's a classic.

But anyway, the title is not the problem here. It's that the ARD again has failed.

Last edited by Ivy (January 9, 2016 10:53 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 9, 2016 10:55 pm  #2557

Yes. It would have been so easy to show it around New Year and in cinemas. So now we probably get a dark, foggy, snowy episode around Easter or Pentecost. Brilliant. 

January 9, 2016 10:58 pm  #2558

Ok, I hadn't known about the ACD reference. But, to be honest, "Die abscheuliche Braut" sounds a bit ridiculous to me (my opinion). I don't mind the German title, IMO it fits to the spooky atmosphere of the episode, especially all the scenes where the bride appears.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 9, 2016 10:59 pm  #2559

Czech television was able to broadcast the episode with fabulous dubbing only a day after its premiere, so I really wonder what is the problem in the case of ARD. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 9, 2016 11:02 pm  #2560

nakahara wrote:

Czech television was able to broadcast the episode with fabulous dubbing only a day after its premiere, so I really wonder what is the problem in the case of ARD. 

They had to broadcast Tartort with Til Schweiger 

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

Board footera