BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2016 10:33 am  #141

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Just watched the movie at the cinema and I must say it is a fan's welfare and a long trailer of season 4
For those who haven't watched Sherlock before can't get the how marvelous the plot is
In fact, the case itself is too simple but when it links with Moriarty's death , it blows me up 
I am still pondering if watch it twice in the cinema as it seems I miss many important things ( sorry as English is not my mother language though the chinese subtitle has already helped a lot ) , like the elpoe , the REDBREAD etc after reading the 7-page thread
And I love the gentlemen in 221B toss the role of Mrs Hudson again and again .....Mrs Hudson is surely NOT just a plot device of showing people upstair 

January 2, 2016 10:33 am  #142

KeepersPrice wrote:

Bibliophile10 wrote:

I loved the scenes with Mycroft, but I didn't like that the script seems to be foreshadowing his death in S4. With the Victorian Mycroft constantly predicting his own death in a specific number of years and modern Mycroft asking John to take care of Sherlock, the foreshadowing was as light as an anvil.

Mycroft asking John to take care of Sherlock doesn't seem to me a foreshadowing of Mycroft's death. I think Mycroft says it because he knows Sherlock will always push him away because they are forever locked in that filial battle. But not so John. No one will ever be able to get as close to Sherlock as John. Mycroft recognizes that and has recognized it right from ASiP. Kind of reminded me of Molly when she said, "I don't count" in TRF.

Fat Mycroft and the brothers betting when his death will occur from over-eating was just the kind of bizarre, macabre thing these guys would do with each other - a lot like the deduction game they play in TEH only heightened; and of course would be something Sherlock "sees" them doing in his mind palace. I did not take it at all seriously.

After the Special I'm actually pretty sure that Mycrofr is going to die in S4. On the plane he told his brother that he was there to help him in the past and that he will be there to help him in the future - which will have an even bigger impact on all of us (and Sherlock, of course) if he dies in S4 and just can't be there for Sherlock anymore. There were so many emotions going on between Sherlock and Mycroft, and it was made absolutely clear that Mycroft does care and is involved. Now the logical step for Mofftiss is to let Mycroft die.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 2, 2016 10:45 am  #143

Somebody asked for a transcript of the conversation between Holmes and Watson - here's a quick one (expect typos and mistakes!).

W: You know it's rare for us to sit together like this.
H: I should hope so.  It's murder on the knees.
W: Two old friends just talking.  Chewing the fat.  Man to man.
So ... a remarkable woman?
H: Who?
W: Lady Carmichael.
H: The fair sex is your department, Watson.  I'll take your word for it.
W: Well, you liked her.  "A woman of rare perception".
H: And admirably high arches.  I noticed them as soon as she stepped into the room.
W: She's far too good for him.
H: You think so?
W: No, you think so.  I could tell.
H: On the contrary, I have no view on the matter.
W: Yes, you have.
H: Marriage is not a subject upon which I dwell.
W: Oh, why not?
H: What's the matter with you this evening?
W: That watch that you're wearing, there's a photograph inside it.  I glimpsed it once.  I believe it is of Irene Adler.  
H: You didn't glimpse it.  You waited until I had fallen asleep and looked at it.
W: Yes, I did.
H: You seriously thought I wouldn't notice?
W: Irene Adler.
H: A formidable opponent.  A remarkable adventure.
W: A very nice photograph.
H: Why are you talking like this?
W: Why are YOU so determined to be alone?
H: Are you quite well, Watson?
W: Is it such a curious question?
H: From a Viennese alienist, no.  From a retired army surgeon, most certainly!
W: Holmes. Against absolutely no opposition whatsoever, I am your closest friend
H: I concede it.
W: I am currently attempting to have a perfectly normal conversation with you.
H: Please don't.
W: Why do you need to be alone?
H: If you are referring to romantic entanglement, Watson, which I rather fear you are, as I have often explained before, all emotion is abhorrent to me.  It is the grit in a sensitive instrument. The crack in the lens.
W: The crack in the lens. Yes.
H: Well, there you are, you see, I've said it all before.
W: No, I wrote all that.  You're quoting yourself from The Strand Magazine.
H: Well, exactly.
W: Those are my words, not yours!  That is the version of you that I present to the public.  The brain without a heart.  The calculating machine. I write all of that, Holmes, and the readers lap it up.  But I do not believe it.
H: Well, I've a good mind to write to your editor.
W: You are a living, breathing man.  You've lived a life.  You have a past.
H: A what?
W: Well, you must have had ...
H: Had what?
W: You know.
H: No.
W: Experiences.
H: Pass me your revolver.  I have a sudden need to use it.
W: Damn it, Holmes, you are flesh and blood, you have feelings, you have ... you must have ... impulses.
H: Dear Lord, I have never been so impatient to be attacked by a murderous ghost.
W: As your friend, as someone who worries about you ... what made you like this?
H: Oh, Watson. Nothing made me. I made me.   
(sound of a dog) Redbeard?

I think there's going to be lots for us to discuss there! 

(And it's nice to have something for those of us who see them as friends rather than lovers). 

January 2, 2016 10:52 am  #144

Bruce Cook wrote:

......I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.  Meanwhile, somebody please just shoot me, ‘cause I’m going to end up on drugs too before this series ends! 

Oh, we've all been saying that for years now, but as far as I know, no one from here on the forum has done away with themselves--  not yet, at least, not because of Sherlock. Which just proves that endless waiting and frustration must do a body good, 'cause here we all are, once more, with feeling!

January 2, 2016 10:58 am  #145

besleybean wrote:

Incidentally: fat Mycroft was still super smart, very in control and threatening. He is the brain and Sherlock definitely is the legs and literally half the man that his brother is'.

Yes, I liked that.  Sherlock is dismissive to real life Mycroft, but his mind palace seems to show that he secretly looks up to him (while also feeling envious and inadequate).  I thought this was a really nice view of their relationship.  The drugs list was interesting too - that Sherlock always expects Mycroft to find him, and always wants to be found and safe (or he wouldn't write a list). 

Love the Canonical nods and also those to Private Lives etc..(incidentally, I saw people reference the extras, which you TV people didn't get? Martin talks about his era of Sherlock and more obviously Watson).

I'm a TV person: I'd love to know more about the extras!

January 2, 2016 11:33 am  #146

@Phantom
I also thought at the very first that Mary was in league with Moriarty since the note just read -M-... but then again, she was helping England, that would be OOC for Moriarty to help England, wouldn't it?

I also think that the list was a list of the drugs he'd taken, as an agreement he'd had with Mycroft "that one time", so that Mycroft would be able to help him, should he OD. I'll admit that it hurt me more in this instance when Sherlock basically said to his brother to piss off at the end, because he had the real deal (i.e. a case so he needn't take drugs), and that he tore the list off, as if "no, I don't need your help anymore".
I know he's had the same behaviour previously (while not high) but it hurts all the same.
I also so the fact that Mycroft would ask John to please watch over him as a benediction ("happy announcement at the end of the week").

Gosh, I need to watch it again, to hell with RL consequences.
This episode most certainly warrants several watching. Sessions. With note taking. Can't wait till the train departs, to be home and start working on it. I won't be able to do anything else anyway.
Sherlock, oh my Lord, you're...

I'm in deep here, pretty much like Sherlock was. I need a fix (be reassured, though, a legal and not health threatening one)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 2, 2016 11:49 am  #147

Stray observations 2nd viewing: 

Sherlock tells the audience right at the beginning that he needs to to solve an old case to solve a new one, basically telling us the setup of the story (Mofftiss: “We are going to pull the rug from under you. We are telling you we are going to pull the rug, but are you listening?“) 

Who needs Mary's help? Answer: England. Mrs Hudson: “That's not very specific.” It is (Mycroft) (Also: Present time, who needs Sherlock's help? Answer: England) 

Who is on duty in the morgue? Answer: not Anderson, Molly. Always Molly. 

“It's never twins” 

Sherlock is brushing up on his knowledge about the solar system. 

Mycroft as self destructive and willing to die before he looses to Sherlock.

Mycroft solved the case “in his head” (a family trait?) 

Is Sherlock suspecting that Mary works for Mycroft? (would explain much of his oversight last season) Or does Sherlock simply suspect that Mary is cleverer than Mycroft (I hope not, too Mary-Sue-ish, give Mary the assassin skills if you must, but leave the Sherlock-surpassing brain to Mycroft) 

Mycroft basically asking: “Miss me?” 

Moriarty's body was never recovered. 

Sherlock going on about getting “deeper”, Mycroft telling him he went further than he “intended to” and mentioning the list, but Sherlock is not finished with it yet 

Mrs Hudson “sort of just makes tea” 

The list: “Have you made a list...[of] everything you've taken” 

The agreement between the brothers “ever since that day”. 

Flashback to a boy on a dirty mattress in a puddle of blood, another boy/young man sitting at his side. 

Mycroft: “I was there for you before, I'll we there for you again. I will always be there for you” 

A stage, a little makeup, and there is the perfect illusion. 

Janine. 

“Once she had risen, anyone could be her.” 

What did happened to the corpse? 

“They had someone on the inside. They found a body just like Molly Hooper found a body” 

Moriarty is Sherlock's weakness, there every time he is wrong or weak

... but so is John.

John will push anyone off a cliff that suggests John and Sherlock should elope together. 

How does Sherlock survive a fall? 

Falling seems to be just like flying... 

Mycroft “almost hopes” Moriarty is back 

“Like a proper big brother” 

“Dr. Watson. Look after him...please” 

Moriarty is dead, but he's back.

Last edited by Lola Red (January 2, 2016 11:51 am)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 2, 2016 12:04 pm  #148

OMG, it's just too much to read in one piece.

YOU - for me it is a connection. "Why owe you" Don't know what it is, but it is. I've almost got a heart attack seeing this and so far my gut reactions regarding TAB were right.

Please don't even think of dead Mycroft. I would quit watching if they kill him! (I have had the same idea few months ago though. Consequences...) *goes to panic with Litythiel*

The strange figure in Mycroft's notebook is a metric tensorThis will take longer time to analyze, at least as long as we don't have mathematicians in the fandom, one who will be able to explain it to us goldfish.
Now off to watch it again!

January 2, 2016 12:20 pm  #149

Well, yes, that's a huge revelation really - that Mary is openly acting as a secret agent in front of Mycroft: even if she wasn't working for him, it's clear that her identity is no secret to him (and that his knowledge is no secret to HER.  Or to John or Sherlock).   This is probably even more of a confirmation than Sherlock imagining Mary working for Mycroft in his mind palace. 

"What do you think of MI5 security?"
"I think it would be a good idea"

We also now know what Sherlock really thinks of Mary - whatever they do with her in S4, it seems that at this point, he isn't plotting against her.

Last edited by Liberty (January 2, 2016 12:21 pm)

January 2, 2016 12:32 pm  #150

JP wrote:

Please don't even think of dead Mycroft. I would quit watching if they kill him! (I have had the same idea few months ago though. Consequences...) *goes to panic with Litythiel*

I refuse to even consider this. Mycroft is the secret star of the show (for me, that is). 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 2, 2016 12:33 pm  #151

I think it is very interesting how differently Mary is presented in the MP and the "reality" scenes. In Sherlock's mind we see her and John quarrelling to the accompaniment of his wedding waltz, she has been abandoned by John for the sake of Sherlock, she (again) patronises Sherlock while he is going out of his way to save her (as in HLV). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2016 12:36 pm  #152

I loved the point one of you brought up about Mycroft being able to reign in his addiction (food), while Sherlock is unable to reign in his (drugs). He used to have control - until John got married and moved out.

The OD thing really upset me, actually. Sherlock spoke and rationalized like a true addict, being physically and mentally out of it. Being a "graduate chemist" and familiar with drugs, he would know how much he can handle without ODing. Which makes it seem deliberate. 

Whether or not he took the drugs before saying goodbye to John or if he did it on the plane, depends on how long it wouldl take for the type of drugs he took to take effect (he was only on the plane for five-ten minutes). I am not familiar enough with drugs (and not sure what he took) to know this.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2016 12:43 pm  #153

Okay I see my adding everything to my initial post is going to get confusing, so will start responding individually now.
@Vhanja Yes it was me on the control thing!
@Susi: so when Sherlock is shown to be concerned about Mary being in danger(when they head off to the crypt)...does he really care or only know that John would care? I think they share banter, as they do in the flat confrontation scene in HLV. John acknowledges this with his: look at you two, you should have got married. Sherlock's a lot nicer to Mary than he is to John!
We know Mary likes Sherlock, she tells us in TEH!

Last edited by besleybean (January 2, 2016 12:48 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2016 12:59 pm  #154

Yep, well remembered Swanpride.
I did notice and forgot to say!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2016 12:59 pm  #155

What about the MP graveyard scene? Do you find it funny when John says he is taking Mary home, is not allowed to and has to change it to "Mary is taking me home"? This is how Sherlock sees present-time John in his mind. And the Reichenbach scene is how he wishes John to be, saving him by a hair's breadth, choosing to be with him. 

As an aside: They basically showed us 90 minutes of Freudian digging in Sherlock's soul. And I love it. 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 2, 2016 1:00 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2016 1:01 pm  #156

Here goes my theory concerning Mycroft and Mary (and I know it's early in the game for such theories, but it's what came to my mind almost immediately after watching TAB):
As I've said before today, I'm pretty sure Mycroft is going to die in S4. They made so clear now how much he cares for Sherlock, that it would be the most devastating thing for us and for Sherlock to lose Mycroft. And they said S4 will be dark and devastating, right?
Then, someone has to take Mycroft's place. There has to be some sort of Mycroft in the show. And they gave us a Mary in TAB who is clever beyond belief. And who seemingly is accepted by Mycroft. So who would be better for the job...? Both their names start with an 'M'. And as a side note: In "Doctor Who" Moffat gave us a female Master - the Master has been male for decades. But now we have a female Master - why not a female Mycroft in "Sherlock".
I'm not saying that I will like any of this. I probably won't. But it somehow seems logical to me.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 2, 2016 1:04 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 2, 2016 1:03 pm  #157

Btw, I think we should open new threads for those discussions...?

January 2, 2016 1:05 pm  #158

And then the show will be called "Mary"?  You just expressed my worst fears. But I am quite sure that this is not going to happen because they prefer to surprise us. I share your idea that Mycroft will die. And I throw a bet that Mary will be behind it. 

January 2, 2016 1:08 pm  #159

The line "Mary is taking me home" didn't sit well with me either. I understand the thought about not being patronized because you are a woman, but Mary's reaction seemed a bit overcompensating. It's like those women who throw a fit because a man dares to keep the door open for her, claiming her "independence". 

Having that said, I personally saw that more as a Moftiss joke, and so I shouldn't read too much into it.

I haven't seen anyone commenting on the cute little scene where Sherlock think John is talking about them when he's talking to Mary. 

Edit: Concerning Mycroft dying - I would say that, literally-wise, if Mycroft were to die, Sherlock would have to soften up to him first. If we in S4 see a Sherlock who is less snappy and defensive towards Mycroft and who actually starts to open up and accept his brother's care - THEN I think we can just as well tick that box off, unfortunately. 

Last edited by Vhanja (January 2, 2016 1:09 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2016 1:10 pm  #160

@SolarSystem...yes I guess it would kind of be logical, once we've all made our initial responses on here.
@Susi well if we like it or not, Mary may be sticking around. Though there is still a part of me that wonders if she is going to be the sacrificial martyr for S4.
I honestly don't get this antagonism to Mary. To me, she and John really love each other and have an earthy honest relationship...it's all banter. Not lovey dovey romantic staring into each others eyes...yuk.
@Vhanja. Sorry I did refer to that scene, but it was lost in my long original post...I'll try and bring my words here!
Sorry again, no that was a different scene...yes, I thought that was hilarious and matched Sherlock having to be asked to get out of the wedding photo!

Last edited by besleybean (January 2, 2016 1:14 pm)

Board footera