BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2015 6:32 am  #61

Re: London Spy

Was I the only one who hadn't realised that was the last one?
I also wondered if they were setting up for a sequel...but I suppose not.
Anyhow, it was quite good and clever but yes, a bit brutal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 8, 2015 7:50 am  #62

It was a horrible scene.  I think episode one had implied

a horrible death/murder, but I'd been clinging to the tiny hope that Alex was alive, and they'd stuffed a spare corpse in the trunk - must have been watching too much Sherlock and Doctor Who, with all those deaths that aren't really deaths!  

I'm so glad Charlotte Rampling was back for the finale.    It always felt as if something had been left hanging there, with "Get away from these people".   I suppose both she and Danny had inadvertently played a part in Alex's death - she'd made him a spy, and Danny had made him a risk by getting too close (and been one of the lies that sent him to his death). 

One question - was the programme used to condemn Alex the same one that he invented?  I thought that the government or whoever didn't have the programme, and that's why they were trailing Danny.   It looks as if they did, but they didn't want it made public - Alex wanted it to be a force for good and would have published it, which is what Danny tried to do after he died (and presumably why Alex gave him the clues).   Even more ironic, then, if they used Alex's own programme against him. 

I loved this whole series - very, very good.   I thought the character of Alex was consistent despite all the revelations along the way.  

December 8, 2015 3:46 pm  #63

I'm assuming they used his own technology against him, based on what seemed like pattern tracking.

Clueing for looks.

December 8, 2015 4:31 pm  #64

Clever twist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 8, 2015 5:22 pm  #65

Very good last episode with surprising twists. Loved the return of Charlotte Rampling, a wonderful actress. 

And I was glad that Scottie was not involved. And that the real mother was not the real mother and then she surprisingly was revealed as the real mother again. And the glimpse of hope at the end. Strange though that they just let Alex's mother burn in the maze and drove away.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 8, 2015 5:56 pm  #66

I thought she got out!

December 8, 2015 5:57 pm  #67

Not sure about that … 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 8, 2015 6:47 pm  #68

I thought she got out too.  I was sure she was going to burn in there, but it looked as if she got out and was griefstricken rather than injured.    It still seemed odd to leave her there.   It was interesting as she'd seemed to be the "true", loving mother, but it also seemed as if she'd neglected Alex at the beginning.   I thought destroying the maze was a kind of symbol for the other mother's (Charlotte Rampling) world of puzzles and/spying.  

The ending didn't have so much hope for me - I suppose it was more hope in human nature (I loved that Alex's mother and Danny banded together at the end over their love for Alex and perhaps even their part in his death), but I didn't hold out much hope for them succeeding in their mission in the end. 

December 8, 2015 6:52 pm  #69

I agree, Liberty. 

Danny had help and could not prevent Scottie being killed and himself being infected with HIV. The mother seemed to have a certain influence since she was brought to the house to persuade Alex but in the end she got sedated and delivered to her own front door like a parcel. 

I have a question: Danny sent the parcels containing Alex's work to various media outlets. What were the packages he found in Scottie's garage? They looked the same as his printouts. I did not understand that part.

December 8, 2015 7:05 pm  #70

I wasn't sure about that, Susi, but

they seemed to have been sent back, but with blank pages.  Presumably sending him a message?

December 8, 2015 7:07 pm  #71

I took it the authorities had intervened to stop it being published.

December 8, 2015 7:11 pm  #72

Just to make I did not miss anything:
- Did he find them in Scottie's garage?
- So he was observed and they took them out of the letterboxes before the reached their destinations?

December 8, 2015 7:22 pm  #73

Yes to the former...ah, didn't think of the latter.
I took it either the recipients were leaned on, not to publish, or else the recipients didn't because of Danny having been discredited.(This was referred to, by Danny's adopted Mum I believe...'you will not be believed' etc.)

December 8, 2015 9:58 pm  #74

I'm sure it was the latter, Susi. To once more intimidate him and show him he's powerless and any of this knowledge will be erased.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 9, 2015 2:30 am  #75

In Tumblr issues (to which everything should be taken with a grain of salt): I do know that people were upset about the unhappy ending of every homosexual in the show. But my question to that is: which of the heterosexual couples had happy endings? Aside from Danny's roommates of unidentified sexuality and the unnamed people walking down the street, who in the show left the series unrattled, at the very least? Because even the government agencies were shaken enough to

lock one of their spies in a trunk and leave him to suffocate because of his dangerous research.

December 9, 2015 6:34 am  #76

Champion of universal human rights though I am, this is a TV show.
I also think you have to take it in its genre: it was a spy story, which happened to have gay characters in it and not a show about the gay community, as opposed  'Queer as folk' for instance.
Anyhow, a gay actor had no issue with acting in the series.
Do we always have to have fairy tale endings?
The main character survived, anyway.
Once again, glad I don't do Tumblr.

December 9, 2015 7:36 am  #77

I'm pretty sure the writer is gay too.  I agree about the genre - it was meant to be dark.   The main characters happened to be gay, so when they were killed off, gay characters were killed off.  They weren't killed because they were gay, but were put at risk of being killed because of their connection to a government coverup AND because they loved somebody.   I felt the story was as much about love as it was about espionage. 

I know that there is a lack of good shows/films with gay main characters who don't come to tragic ends.  But I don't know why people would want no deaths in this particular story - it wouldn't be the same story.  (Or want to change Danny to Danielle, to make sure only straight people die).  Can't we just have main characters who happen to be gay, whatever the genre?

December 9, 2015 8:08 am  #78

Well said, Liberty.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

December 9, 2015 8:13 am  #79

I fully agree, Liberty. And let me say that UK television has come far with films like this, telling a story about people who are gay but where this is not the focus but their being in love, in danger, etc. We recently had a gay police investigator in the most popular German crime show and it was big news (and he was revealed to be gay only in his last episode). Still waiting to see a story like LS over here. 

December 9, 2015 4:44 pm  #80

Glad we have agreement here and that the BBC(once again) is delivering the goods.

Board footera