BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 4, 2015 7:49 am  #1541

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Good points, lil. She must have befriended Janine much earlier in order to make her chief bridesmaid.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 4, 2015 10:27 am  #1542

It is heavily implied that it was Mary who befriended Janine for the purpose of getting closer to CAM, which makes it likely that Mary had been after CAM for a while. CAM, in his turn, must have been after Mycroft for a while (I believe he became active during TRF, as that is when we first hear about “pressure points”, though at that point it seems that this is Moriarty’s idea). CAM knows that Mycroft is too clever for pressure points, except when it comes to Sherlock (a fact that Irene Adler and Moriarty have also used), so he has solid background information on everyone who is important to Sherlock (note that he also knows John and Mrs Hudson, but labels them “unimportant”, there is nothing to them that could take Mycroft down. Sherlock himself had recently been cleaned of all charges and was therefore not useful to him. It was only when Mary turned up that Mycroft was on the receiving end of a solid pressure point chain.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 4, 2015 8:05 pm  #1543

Does anyone think it's likely that Mary and/or Magnussen knew Sherlock was alive all along ?

August 4, 2015 8:09 pm  #1544

Good question. If you compare her reaction to Sherlock being alive with her reaction to Moriarty (maybe) being alive, the latter seems much stronger to me.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 4, 2015 8:51 pm  #1545

lil wrote:

Does anyone think it's likely that Mary and/or Magnussen knew Sherlock was alive all along ?

I think that might be if Moriarty is alive. I believe Moriarty and CAM where in contact during TRF, when Moriarty suddenly starts using the term "pressure points". And Moriarty would know that Sherlock faked his death, all he had to do was look over the edge. All the others involved seem to have kept their secret for those two years (otherwise Anderson would have had more to go on). He could tell CAM, or Mary, should he have planted her at John’s side. But then she should not be surprised at Moriarty’s return.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 5, 2015 7:16 am  #1546

If Mary is Moran, then yes, she could have known that Sherlock was alive all along - in that case she could have really been planted to John´s side to await Sherlock´s return.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 5, 2015 9:40 am  #1547

I always thought that Morstan and Moran sound so very similar... it would be a shame if Mofftiss didn't play around with that fact...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 6, 2015 5:02 pm  #1548

nakahara wrote:

If Mary is Moran, then yes, she could have known that Sherlock was alive all along - in that case she could have really been planted to John´s side to await Sherlock´s return.

Makes sense to me.

August 6, 2015 6:19 pm  #1549

nakahara wrote:

But how would Moran/Mary know (if not from Moriarty himself). I thought the whole point of Lazarus was to fool Moriarty’s network, so Sherlock could dismantle it. That was why John had to grieve for two years or not? Because he could not be told so he could not give anything away and put himself in danger.
But I agree that if Mary was planted, it was by someone who knew Sherlock was alive. I cannot see how it would make sense otherwise to plant her there in the first place. Without Sherlock, John is more or less just a G.P./ex-solider.

August 6, 2015 6:47 pm  #1550

Lola Red wrote:

nakahara wrote:

But how would Moran/Mary know (if not from Moriarty himself). I thought the whole point of Lazarus was to fool Moriarty’s network, so Sherlock could dismantle it. That was why John had to grieve for two years or not? Because he could not be told so he could not give anything away and put himself in danger.
But I agree that if Mary was planted, it was by someone who knew Sherlock was alive. I cannot see how it would make sense otherwise to plant her there in the first place. Without Sherlock, John is more or less just a G.P./ex-solider.

I always saw the bit in TEH where Sherlock starts talking about his various markers, or "rats", as he calls them, as sort of foreshadowing the set-up with John and Mary. If one of the "rats" did something out of the ordinary, Sherlock would know something was up.

Just because Moriarty was dead, and his organization in disarray / non-functional, doesn't mean that there wouldn't be people out for revenge on Sherlock, which they would surely attempt to get by going after John. And, I'm sure, when Moriarty's people discovered their crime empire going down in flames due to interference and sabotage -- from a "ghost", they had to think that Sherlock might not be quite as dead as they'd been led to believe.

It would make sense to place Mary with the one person Sherlock would eventually return to, if indeed, he was alive.

August 6, 2015 8:30 pm  #1551

Lola Red wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Yes and it was precisely like this in the original. Sherlock faked his death and all the world was taken in, but the sniper Sebastian Moran saw Sherlock survive and he had his house observed in Sherlock´s absence to kill him upon his return... 

So it´s no obstacle to Morstan = Moran theory.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 6, 2015 8:47 pm  #1552

nakahara wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Yes and it was precisely like this in the original. Sherlock faked his death and all the world was taken in, but the sniper Sebastian Moran saw Sherlock survive and he had his house observed in Sherlock´s absence to kill him upon his return... 

Nice! That works very well. 

August 7, 2015 7:34 am  #1553

Swanpride wrote:

Wouldn't that make the sniper in The Reichenbach Fall Moran?

It depends.... since we know that this was not the only sniper who worked for Moriarty and not the only person ordered to kill Sherlock´s friends.

Plus, Moran was Moriarty´s "right hand", the second strongest boss in his organisation, while the sniper in TRF looks like a simple peon.

August 7, 2015 7:38 am  #1554

nakahara wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Still plenty of obstacles to Morstan=Moran (as with every theory), but I see what you mean. I’ll keep my eyes open for that possibility during next season. 

August 13, 2015 10:13 pm  #1555

Mary could have been one of the snipers at The Pool. 

August 15, 2015 6:24 pm  #1556

Personally, I loved Mary right up until the moment she shot Sherlock. I don't care that she didn't intend to kill him. I don't care that it was surgery. I care that she caused Sherlock to flatline - and that only he managed to bring himself back - and then she stood over his hospital bed and told him to keep quiet after almost sending him to the morgue. I care that she shot Sherlock despite knowing what his 'death' had done to John originally. I care that because of her, Sherlock had to sacrifice everything yet again - his freedom, nearly his life - to keep her safe for John's sake and that she in turn did not seem to care.

And yes, I know. Sherlock has lied. But Sherlock faked his death to protect John. Mary shot Sherlock to try and hide the truth about herself, to keep up the facade and the lie.

Sorry to sound so intense here, but yeah - this is the main reason why I am not happy with Series 3. 

(Hello by the way; new to the forum. )

TC x

August 15, 2015 6:32 pm  #1557

TeaCub wrote:

Personally, I loved Mary right up until the moment she shot Sherlock. I don't care that she didn't intend to kill him. I don't care that it was surgery. I care that she caused Sherlock to flatline - and that only he managed to bring himself back - and then she stood over his hospital bed and told him to keep quiet after almost sending him to the morgue. I care that she shot Sherlock despite knowing what his 'death' had done to John originally. I care that because of her, Sherlock had to sacrifice everything yet again - his freedom, nearly his life - to keep her safe for John's sake and that she in turn did not seem to care.

And yes, I know. Sherlock has lied. But Sherlock faked his death to protect John. Mary shot Sherlock to try and hide the truth about herself, to keep up the facade and the lie.

Sorry to sound so intense here, but yeah - this is the main reason why I am not happy with Series 3. 

(Hello by the way; new to the forum. )

TC x

Welcome to the forum, TC. :-)

I've always thought it if Mary was tryin' to do "surgery" , she did an unbelievbably crappy job of it....

August 15, 2015 9:38 pm  #1558

But what I find much more irritating and even annoying is the fact that Sherlock easily forgives her. He even never ever criticizes her - and she almost killed him! So I'm not really angry at Mary, but at Sherlock. I just can't understand his "easy going" with Mary and her deed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 15, 2015 9:47 pm  #1559

kornmuhme wrote:

But what I find much more irritating and even annoying is the fact that Sherlock easily forgives her. He even never ever criticizes her - and she almost killed him! So I'm not really angry at Mary, but at Sherlock. I just can't understand his "easy going" with Mary and her deed!

It all makes sense if Sherlock is lying.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 15, 2015 11:48 pm  #1560

Actually, John's forgiveness of Mary bothers me more... I just can't understand how he could (a) believe the "surgery explanation, and (b) forgive someone who lied to him about who she was from the beginning of their relationship, then shot Sherlock to keep John from finding out the truth, when he's barely forgiven Sherlock for faking his death, even though it saved his life. On John's blog, he says that Sherlock did tell him about the snipers, and John said he didn't know if he'd ever fully trust Sherlock again, even though he understood why Sherlock had done it. But he forgave Mary. Uuuurrrrrgggghhhhh.

That actually does put a crimp in my johnlock.

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 15, 2015 11:50 pm)

Board footera