BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2015 11:18 am  #4801

Re: The comprehensive Johnlock guide (Johnlockers only)

@mrshouse - Thank you, Mrs House. I am appreciated that. That given me a  bit relaxing now.
@SusiGo - That's it! That's the one! It's so powerful. That music in background given me goospbumps and nearly tears up because it sounded sad. It's like something missing and something that unexpected that knows Sherlock is actually alive.  The video helps me to think of the visions. For e.g. you could hear John's sniffing while he was typing about Sherlock's death.

Last edited by BabyRose (July 15, 2015 1:58 pm)

"I like detective stories - and detectives. Brainy is the new sexy." - Irene Adler
"Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain....You're on the side of the angels." - Jim Moriarty

July 15, 2015 11:50 am  #4802

Just one request, BabyRose - we have various threads for fanfiction recommendations, Johnlock and non-Johnlock. Please feel free to share them in there. Thank you. 

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=32

And, yes, the video is very excellent. I have not seen anything like this before. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 15, 2015 2:00 pm  #4803

@SusiGo - Oops! That's right! I'm sorry but thanks for pointing it out! I deleted some parts about fanfics here and moved them into the fanfics topic. Thanks! Done as you requested.

"I like detective stories - and detectives. Brainy is the new sexy." - Irene Adler
"Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain....You're on the side of the angels." - Jim Moriarty

July 16, 2015 1:23 am  #4804

SusiGo wrote:

This is quite interesting regarding the romantic trope it discusses. I do not know the show they mention, but I did not have to think long and hard to come up spontaneously with two examples from "Love, Actually" - Liam Neeson showing the video of his dead wife at the funeral and the best man - sorry, I forgot his name - putting together all the pics of Keira Knightley, his best friend's bride he is in love with. Clearly another romantic trope.

http://ageofaquitaine.tumblr.com/post/124133864845/its-sherlocks-missing-lover-footage

That is very interesting, and I'd never thought of it that way before either, but I think they are right. Has the trope ever been done with two platonic friends? I tried to find an example here http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HappierHomeMovie. There are a lot of examples, many of which I am unfamiliar with, but I couldn't find any b******* examples done like this. Lots of romantic partner loss, and the rest are people mourning the loss of their loved family member (blood relation) or a past happier time in their childhood.

Last edited by ukaunz (July 16, 2015 1:24 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 17, 2015 1:33 pm  #4805

Just found this again and it made me happy. Not exactly Johnlock but then ... 

“He’s not a sociopath, nor is he high-functioning. He’d really like to be a sociopath. But he’s so fucking not…. He is at root an absolutely ordinary man… He’s repressed his emotions, his passions, his desires, in order to make his brain work better — in itself, a very emotional decision, and it does suggest that he must be very emotional if he thinks emotions get in the way. I just think Sherlock Holmes must be bursting!”
—     Steven Moffat on Sherlock’s Best Man speech 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 17, 2015 1:34 pm  #4806

I think that sums up Sherlock very well, that is exactly how I view him as well. Well said, Moffat!

Also, I found this to be rather funny. Sums up first half of ASiP rather well:

http://loudest-subtext-in-television.tumblr.com/post/124257202319/sherlock-proudly-presents-his-flat-to

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 17, 2015 1:34 pm  #4807

Thanks, ukaunz, so it seems it is really a romantic trope after all. 

July 17, 2015 1:35 pm  #4808

Vhanja wrote:

I think that sums up Sherlock very well, that is exactly how I view him as well. Well said, Moffat!

Also, I found this to be rather funny. Sums up first half of ASiP rather well:

http://loudest-subtext-in-television.tumblr.com/post/124257202319/sherlock-proudly-presents-his-flat-to

True. John has been an exception in very sense from the very beginning. 

July 17, 2015 2:11 pm  #4809

Ok, Ok. I know we avoid a certain word here in our favorite thread but I had an idea for another slogan for us!

"Bromance"  The "B" is silent!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 17, 2015 2:16 pm  #4810

July 17, 2015 2:17 pm  #4811

Hehe, approved

Oh, and do any of you know of anyone who'd say "for me" to a just-friend?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 17, 2015 2:37 pm  #4812

Or "It's you. It's always you." Or "Your way. Always your way." 

July 17, 2015 3:01 pm  #4813

I thought you guys would like it.  *giggle*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 17, 2015 8:26 pm  #4814

I figured this thread needed a reminder of the happy and joyful marriage reception between John and Mary...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 18, 2015 8:27 am  #4815

So just keep Johnlock in mind while you listen to Steven Moffat at Comic Con:

It's all in the construction of the story in a way, before we get to the acting, it's all about the backswing that you didn't know was there... we seed every piece of information you need... you've been blindsided exactly the way Sherlock Holmes was... his affection took command of his logic... so that moment, the gut-punch moment, is easy, it's building... when a twist comes it's not that it's surprising, that is thrilling, it's the fact that you go "I should have seen it. I was told, I was told repeatedly..." And then the rug is pulled, it's like you've been warning them for ages, you know, "we're gonna pull this rug in a minute, we are, you aren't paying any attention but we are gonna pull this rug", and so when you fall over you've got to think "I was told and I didn't listen."

It reminds me of Sherlock's mind palace deduction scene at the wedding, when Sherlock realises he loves John. Johnlock has always been there, it's just that some people aren't paying attention

Last edited by ukaunz (July 18, 2015 8:37 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 18, 2015 1:31 pm  #4816

Well spotted!
Some people are not paying attention (who are those people?). But we are.

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 18, 2015 3:06 pm  #4817

July 18, 2015 3:11 pm  #4818

Oh, wow, that's beautiful!

Team Hudders!

July 18, 2015 3:14 pm  #4819

Awww.....
Well, they were indeed practicing for the wedding waltz, weren't they?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

July 18, 2015 6:51 pm  #4820

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera