BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2015 6:32 pm  #1241

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

After you, dear!

June 23, 2015 2:39 pm  #1242

While the writers could clear Marys character up quite a bit I don't think they will.We seem to be getting more TPLOSH version , where it is more about the characters than the crime solving.
I think the writers like having the women as femme fatal types and there is quite a history of that surrounding Holmes and his distrust of women. Mr Gatiss seemed quite gleeful talking about that in the timeshift history of SH documentary quoting -the twinkle in the eye the arsenic in the soup-line.
Irene and Mary seem much more in the Madame Vallondon / enemy spy / deceiving distrustful women genre.I seem to remember something in canon that the woman Holmes thought most winning was a poisoner/serial killer.
So should Mary exit without any explanation , in a way it would make her a bit canon ish , we really wouldn't know anything much for sure about her.
Mary Morstan was an assasin/governess she married Watson and Holmes quite liked her and then she - left.
Probably we are doomed to ambiguous Mary for ever.

Last edited by lil (June 23, 2015 2:41 pm)

June 23, 2015 3:18 pm  #1243

Good points, lil. And it of course would help to concentrate again (true to Canon) on the relationship between Sherlock and John.

However, I think that they will give us an explanation and reason for when Mary leaves the stage some time in the future because John will have to react in some way and he is central to the show. And morever, Mary is a curious blend of Canon Mrs Watson/governess/nurse and femme fatale ACD style. And there is also the baby. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2015 3:51 pm  #1244

Agree@Susie the effect Mary has had on SH and JW will be central and is quite an interesting topic by itself already.

June 23, 2015 6:14 pm  #1245

SusiGo wrote:

And there is also the baby. 

I had happily forgotten. Don't remind me.

I think maybe they'll come up with such an interersting storyline / villain / new development that we forget all about Mary. That she will automatically fall in the background and that it will be smooth should she finally leave.

"It is what it is."

June 23, 2015 6:44 pm  #1246

I can not believe why they wrote in the pregnancy. How on earth are they going to get John out of that? I mean - we can't have John running around with Sherlock if he's a father? But they can't kill a baby, that just isn't done in tv. It's like they've written themselves into a corner, although they probably (hopefully) have a plan.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 23, 2015 7:37 pm  #1247

Think they needed the baby to sell Johns return to Mary.

Also because , its summer break and I'm either drunk or hungover, ,  it was the metaphorical answer to the fall in the way that good and evil necessitate all creation.

June 24, 2015 10:34 am  #1248

Vhanja wrote:

I can not believe why they wrote in the pregnancy. How on earth are they going to get John out of that? I mean - we can't have John running around with Sherlock if he's a father? But they can't kill a baby, that just isn't done in tv. It's like they've written themselves into a corner, although they probably (hopefully) have a plan.

My thoughts always have been: Mary can just vanish, taking the child with her.
Hard for John, though.... But Sherlock could comfort him.... 

OR John isn't the father. Also possible.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 24, 2015 11:18 am  #1249

Yes, you are right. We have discussed this elsewhere but I think that letting the baby die would cast an enormous shadow over the whole show and would further complicate the Mary solution. Maybe it has not been for nothing that David featured quite prominently in TSoT.
And Mary having/being forced to leave and taking the baby with her would be preferable to having John grieve over the loss of Mary and/or the baby and return to Baker Street just in order to lick his wounds. But then with Moftisson you never know ...

Last edited by SusiGo (June 24, 2015 11:24 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 24, 2015 1:37 pm  #1250

John not being the father is my own personal favorite solution.  And since I really what John to be DONE with Mary, this would certainly add fuel to his anger.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 24, 2015 1:53 pm  #1251

I would also love for John not being the father, anger is better than grief. However, I don't think it would fit with Mary as we've seen her. She will do "anything" to keep John, even to the point of shooting Sherlock. If she values her relationship and life with John so much, it makes no sense for her to be cheating on him. Why gamble with something that you are willing to kill to keep?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 24, 2015 2:04 pm  #1252

I agree, it does not really fit with the way Mary is presented. And it may be that David's appearance is truly just meant to be a comic element to show Sherlock's very own way of ensuring a harmonic wedding. But still - inviting your ex who seems still very much interested in you and who is exactly the same type as your hubby-to-be seems a strange thing do to. And he even has photos of her and John which he posts on FB.  And I really wonder why Mary needed a shoulder to cry on three times during her time with John. 

June 24, 2015 2:39 pm  #1253

Sherlock : " Moriarty is back, the game is on"
John " I don't care, Mary just died from a fierce devastating flu and used her last breath to confess the baby is not mine"
Sherlock : " Ok, then, let's go to bed, I'm gonna comfort you and we'll chase Moriarty tomorow"

You're right, this is gooooooood TV!

June 24, 2015 2:46 pm  #1254

Brilliant. I am really looking forward to that. 

June 24, 2015 2:57 pm  #1255

Not sure we're on the same level  but glad if it brightens your day!

June 24, 2015 3:02 pm  #1256

I know it will not be that easy but I like the idea. 

June 24, 2015 5:21 pm  #1257

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

Sherlock : " Moriarty is back, the game is on"
John " I don't care, Mary just died from a fierce devastating flu and used her last breath to confess the baby is not mine"
Sherlock : " Ok, then, let's go to bed, I'm gonna comfort you and we'll chase Moriarty tomorow"

You're right, this is gooooooood TV!

Works for me.  Although I'd rather have a dramatic moment with Mary as the villian and John has to shoot her because she's threating to shoot Sherlock again. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 24, 2015 5:21 pm  #1258

Not that I'm really expecting to get it.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 24, 2015 6:02 pm  #1259

That is a bit violent for my taste but I would definitely go for the second part of your sentence. 

June 24, 2015 6:05 pm  #1260

Deleted it,  it could have been shocking to some people.

Board footera