BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2015 7:21 pm  #61

Re: John and Sherlock Drunk

Everything Sherlock does is about John. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 26, 2015 7:23 pm  #62

This is so clever and lovely, Tobe. Worthy of Sherlock Holmes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 26, 2015 11:14 pm  #63

5H0l3e5 wrote:

BBC ruined Sherlock: Dancing, Drinking, Be on a wedding celebration, Saying alot of jokes, Stealing, No solving even a simple case, LOVE (oh god), Laughing all the time,...
Short version: Arthor, don't forgive them.

Sherlock Holmes is not allowed to laugh? I've only read a few chapters of A Study in Scarlet and already I can see Sherlock Holmes has a sense of humour and likes to laugh.

Last edited by ukaunz (February 26, 2015 11:14 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 27, 2015 9:59 am  #64

Wow, tobe, what a great observation! And what a sad one, too. Stay, John, stay!!!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 27, 2015 10:45 am  #65

That's what I call science, tobe. Doing the maths and then coming to a conclusion that is just so to the point. Hopefully in the near future John will be able to do those maths, too. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 10, 2015 12:27 pm  #66

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

......what if those clients he had on the "stag party night" spread the word? ....

I never understood why Tessa even bothered to tell her story to two obviously drunk guys... Just like I don't understand why Sherlock didn't notice that his beer was spiked, or how Molly arrived at the same quantity of alkohol for John and Sherlock, why Sherlock needed her help in the first place (I would have thought he'd have experimented some in his university days - just in the interests of research, obviously), and why he didn' provide himself with a bit of a safety net by eating something beforehand...

And could someone please explain the attraction of binge drinking? For me one hangover was enough...

May 10, 2015 12:53 pm  #67

Kittyhawk wrote:

SherlocklivesinOH wrote:

......what if those clients he had on the "stag party night" spread the word? ....

I never understood why Tessa even bothered to tell her story to two obviously drunk guys... Just like I don't understand why Sherlock didn't notice that his beer was spiked, or how Molly arrived at the same quantity of alkohol for John and Sherlock, why Sherlock needed her help in the first place (I would have thought he'd have experimented some in his university days - just in the interests of research, obviously), and why he didn' provide himself with a bit of a safety net by eating something beforehand...

And could someone please explain the attraction of binge drinking? For me one hangover was enough...

It is understandable that he didn't know the beer was spiked. Sherlock doesn't seem that familiar with the taste of beer, not to mention that the taste of various types of beer can differ greatly. So either he knew it tasted differently, but just shrugged it off as a different type of beer, or he was already too drunk to notice/care about that at all. 

As for the same amount of beer for them both, I will go out on a limb here and say that it might be plausible seeing the fact that Sherlock being taller than John (thus maybe having a higher tolerance) might be even out by the fact that he drinks even more seldom than John (reducing his tolerance). So the amount for them both might be close enough for Molly to just make it the same for simplicities sake. But that's stretching it a bit.

Also, we don't know if he ate something beforehand or not. But the rest of your points are valid. Not to mention that they managed five or six beers in five or six different pubs spread across London in two hours? That is the least plausible of it all to me. (Still love the scene, though).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 10, 2015 1:34 pm  #68

Yeah, I have no idea how fast they were jumping from pub to pub in order to do all that in two hours.  But, they were trying to go to a pub on every street where they looked at a corpse for a case, so it's possible that they weren't trying to stay very long at each pub to enjoy its atmosphere or anything.  They wanted to cover all the locations they could.  There's no indication of them having any more than one or two drinks at each place, but at five or six pubs that's still a lot.  After two hours they were incapacitated.

Clueing for looks.

May 10, 2015 2:06 pm  #69

I do not think Sherlock was going for atmosphere or even fun (Sherlock does not quite understand the idea of a pup crawl I think, it probably just said in a book that that was what he was supposed to do as best man, so he dutifully did it). This was a very scientific pup crawl (until John spiked his drink). So two hours do not seem too off if the locations were not terribly far apart.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 10, 2015 2:12 pm  #70

Lola Red wrote:

I do not think Sherlock was going for atmosphere or even fun (Sherlock does not quite understand the idea of a pup crawl I think, it probably just said in a book that that was what he was supposed to do as best man, so he dutifully did it). This was a very scientific pup crawl (until John spiked his drink). So two hours do not seem too off if the locations were not terribly far apart.

Well, he understood it enough to make it personal. Even when Molly suggested to make tube stations a theme, he refused because it lacked "the personal touch". It seems to me as if he was really trying, and I found that quite touching.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 10, 2015 2:51 pm  #71

Yes.  Even if it wouldn't be the thing he wanted to do most, he wanted to do something nice for John that would have a personal meaning from the good times they have had together.  Not to enjoy the particular pubs' atmosphere or anything, just a pub crawl (because that's a thing to do on stag night) but with a personal touch.  And Sherlock decided to try and document it scientifically because that's what he does and maybe to also make it more interesting.  John did tell him to stop talking at one point because he didn't want to hear about all the details of the experiement (or whatever you want to call it, scientific documentation), but of course that's just something Sherlock does.  
And then of course John got mischievous and added more to Sherlock's drink without telling him, as well as looking like he took an extra shot for himself.  So much for precise measurement.

But yeah, even if he was out of his element, Sherlock was trying to be the best Best Man according to convention, as well as trying (though also failing) at using him own methods to do so.

Clueing for looks.

May 10, 2015 2:54 pm  #72

As I understood that scene, John never intended to spike Sherlock's drink. He meant to have that beer himself, but on his way over he forgot which glass it was and so accidently gave Sherlock the wrong one. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

But, yeah, I think it was rather touching how Sherlock really tried. And his calculations was so that none of them would get hungover - which John ruined spectacularly (and hilarity ensued).

Team Hudders!

May 10, 2015 3:30 pm  #73

I will always treasure drunk stag night.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 10, 2015 6:06 pm  #74

Oh don’t get me wrong, I was really touched by Sherlock’s efforts as well. But it seems kind of like he read it all in a book and gave it his best try without quite understanding why. Made it even more lovely in my opinion. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 10, 2015 7:02 pm  #75

Yeah.  He didn't know what else to do.  Kind of like the book that he followed for the Best Man speech.

Clueing for looks.

May 11, 2015 9:24 pm  #76

tonnaree wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Yes, anyone can just come and go... like Lestrade at the beginning of ASiP. This must definitely stop. Okay, first John has to move into 221B again, then the locks and keys.

Followed next by whips and chains.

Oh crap.
Said that out loud.

*crawls back to corner*

do not forget the riding crop...!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

May 28, 2015 10:02 am  #77

In the spirit of scientific research I did pour a shot of Whisky (20 ml, 40%) into a beer (500 ml, 5 %). As the Whisky mostly stays on top (John didn't stir), the first swallow is noticeably different (both taste and effect) from a non-spiked beer. Further down the difference diminishes, so I suppose one would notice either immediately or not at all. And of course it was my first beer and not the seventh, as for Sherlock... (and frankly, ever since counting the pubs I find it amazing that 8 beers in 2 hours should have resulted in the guys "to remain in the sweet spot the whole evening". A little error in the calculations?)

But I have another question: Why did John and Sherlock even end up in a police cell? They weren't drunk and disorderly in public (not before being locked up, at least), they didn't break into the "ghost's" flat - I don't see them breaking any laws at all...

I would have thought that throwing up on somebody's rug was a case for the chequebook, not the police, and that the police in London had better things to do than collect drunks from private homes (even if the home in question is not actually the drunk's). Does anybody know of a similar situation in real life?

May 28, 2015 10:13 am  #78

In this case it may be for the sake of comic effect and is probably not meant to be taken seriously. Although we have no idea how Sherlock reacted after throwing up. Maybe he started another row like the one about ash. And we know that John, good friend that he is, does not let Sherlock be arrested on his own. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 9, 2015 9:51 pm  #79

Kittyhawk wrote:

and frankly, ever since counting the pubs I find it amazing that 8 beers in 2 hours should have resulted in the guys "to remain in the sweet spot the whole evening". A little error in the calculations?

I think so. For himself at least. I mean, it's not quite pints (I think Sherlock says sth like 440ml?), but still. My limit is 7 pints (limit meaning: being able to get home on my own two feet), and that's with a meal before and being used to having a drink. I think for John, it could indeed work to remain in the sweet spot, he is used to drinking in the evening and I'm sure he had dinner before. But Sherlock? I don't think so. No matter his size.

About the police cell, I think Sherlock got into another row. And then he would end up in a cell, being drunk like that. With John being loyal to Sherlock, I can very well imagine Sherlock going into a fight, John taking sides, and them ending up in a group fight and being singled out and taken away by police. Sounds plausible to me. Also other things might have happened during the "investigation". Maybe the throwing up wasn't the end of it.

Still thinking about that... I cannot see either what's so exciting about passing out and vomiting all over the place. Maybe it has to do with testing limits. How far to push. This kind of stuff.
For me, all hangovers I had (not only one, sadly) happened because I liked the beer and the company. Sounds stupid, I guess. But I don't know, it's the being together, and having a drink, and the evening becomes longer, so another drink and another... what I don't understand is how people plan to get hungover. That just seems silly to me. For me, being hungover is each time a bad experience I definitely didn't want to achieve but sadly wasn't able to prevent...
What I wouldn't do again is pub crawls. I don't understand them one bit. You have to hurry all the time to get to the next pub, you can never sit down and relax for a long time, and instead of having one nice place to sit you have to stand all time because each new pub is crowded. I'm not surprised John didn't like his stag night much.

Last edited by Whisky (June 9, 2015 10:12 pm)

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2015 1:20 pm  #80

Kittyhawk wrote:

(and frankly, ever since counting the pubs I find it amazing that 8 beers in 2 hours should have resulted in the guys "to remain in the sweet spot the whole evening". A little error in the calculations?)

Maybe Molly had a little revenge for all the times Sherlock was being... well... Sherlock

Kittyhawk wrote:

Why did John and Sherlock even end up in a police cell?

Maybe Sherlock resisted being removed from the flat a bit to much. He would not really be able to do much harm in the condition he was in, but John, being the loyal friend that he is, would surely come to his aid if he would get, say, pinned to the ground by an angry landlord.
Or Sherlock started deducing a police officer on the way home. It would not be the first time he ended up in a police cell for showing off 

Board footera