BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2015 5:45 pm  #1

Hi from France

Hello, I'm a bit late to the party, but I only picked up the Sherlock DVDs at the local library a few weeks ago (haven't had any TV since 2009). Unfortunately I had to return the DVDs after three weeks, moreover the French version is absolute crap (as in: no extras or english subtitles for Season 1, no english subtitles or commentaries for Season 3 and as on-screen text has been translated into French, audio and video don't match for the English  version. I guess that can't be helped, but I still find it disconcerting when Sherlock says: "Type H.O.U.N.D" and on the screen appears "M.O.L.O.S.").

So I ordered my own copies - which I do very, very rarely with DVDs that are at the library (it's the second time in three years!). Please bear that in mind when I'll be writing some critical things about the series in the future - I basically do like the show (otherwise I wouldn't have spent money on it).

April 5, 2015 6:00 pm  #2

Re: Hi from France

M.O.L.O.S. - how weird! 
Welcome here and enjoy! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 5, 2015 7:25 pm  #3

M.O.L.O.S. ?? Are you serious? While I clearly understand why they'd go for it -I mean, it does make sense...but, come on. I'm really glad I've never watch the French versions.

Welcome, by the way

Last edited by Lilythiell (April 5, 2015 7:47 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 5, 2015 7:41 pm  #4

Hello and welcome.

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

April 6, 2015 12:16 am  #5

M.O.L.O.S.??? Does it mean HOUND in French?

April 6, 2015 6:25 am  #6

Welcome to the forum. It's never too late to join.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 6, 2015 8:18 am  #7

"Molosse" is definied by the Larousse dictionary as "big guard dog". Dog breeders use it for dogs of the mastiff/bulldog type (like the one that's in the film). But as they needed a word with 5 letters... As far as I remember they made the letters work out with the names (so now I need to get the library copy again so I can compare the names in both version - as if I hadn't anything else to do...), meaning the translators did actually a very good job. It just doesn't fit with English audio ;)

April 6, 2015 8:56 am  #8

I knew about Molosse dogs, only now they have the trouble with the episode title Les Chiens de Baskerville. A bit confusing. Let us know what you found out about the names of the team and post it perhaps here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5428

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

April 6, 2015 11:12 am  #9

I don't think that's a problem - Frenchmen would know that a molosse and chien is basically the same thing. And I admit that I never listened to the French audio, so I don't even know which word Harry used - chien or molosse... Btw, the French title of Conan Doyle's novel is "Le chien de Baskerville".

April 9, 2015 5:12 pm  #10

Hello and welcome to the forum! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera