BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2015 11:07 pm  #81

Re: BAFTA's 2015

This awards season has been very dissapointing.  I think TIG will go down as one of BC's greatest performances.
However, being ever the optimist, I believe this only means there's an even greater role in Benedict's future that will win him all the awards.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 8, 2015 11:12 pm  #82

I think so too! His career is far, far from over! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 9, 2015 8:09 am  #83

I was slightly bothered by Benedict saying before the awards had started that everyone knew who was going to win best actor. EVERYONE?

February 9, 2015 8:15 am  #84

Did he really say that? I just heard he said that he himself was not going to win. But the fact that Stephen Hawking was present for whom it is probably incredibly difficult to attend such an event might explain people thinking that Eddie Redmayne was going to win. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 9, 2015 9:40 am  #85

tonnaree wrote:

However, being ever the optimist, I believe this only means there's an even greater role in Benedict's future that will win him all the awards.   

That's the spirit, tonnaree.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 9, 2015 9:41 am  #86

I think worth bearing in mind for awards season is that each film/actor/director etc. etc. is being judged against their peers who have also been nominated. It is not usually a case of a film/actor/director necessarily being 'snubbed' as such but that a single choice has to be made. Eddie Redmayne's portrayal of Hawking is on every single level an incredible one and this is in no way a criticism of Benedict's portrayal of Turing. It is also, perhaps, I think harder to portray a living person whose persona etc. is so well-known publicly. I am also very pleased That Grand Budapest Hotel won so many, it is such a fantastic, original piece of work. Feinnes is The Man! I am very proud of our British talent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 9, 2015 12:20 pm  #87

It looks like he's taken off his jacket and given it to Sophie - that is the cutest. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 9, 2015 12:32 pm  #88

Aw... Romantic big heart...a cavalier...
She must have been freezing with those naked shoulders and as far as I can see she had bare feet as well! I didn't see stockings. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 9, 2015 1:46 pm  #89

SolarSystem wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

That's the spirit, tonnaree.

My glass is always half full.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 9, 2015 3:00 pm  #90

I prefer Benedict's version of Hawking. But then I think Redmayne is overrated as an actor.

February 9, 2015 3:29 pm  #91

Eddie Redmayne who?

Don´t worry Benedict, for me you are the winner.
(Finally saw "The Imitation Game" and was delighted, movie and Benedict´s portrayal of Turing were fantastic!)

Not that there´s anything wrong with "The Theory of Everything" but I didn´t see anything special that would top "Hawking" there.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 9, 2015 3:38 pm  #92

SPOILER

Such a shame that a wonderful movie like The Imitation Game was not awarded in any of the categories it has been nominated for. I have not seen all of the competing movies, but I can say that The Imitation Game had a greater impact on me than, lets say, Birdman. Both are fantastic films, but Birdman did not compel me to do anything different with my life afterwards, while I have now watched a few documentaries about Alan Turing and I am pretty certain I would still be completely oblivious to his achievements had it not been for The Imitation Game.
Still, I loved Ben’s reaction to Eddie’s win, he was cheering so hard for the badly shaking Eddie. Just such a generous gesture, he seemed like he could not have been more delighted had he won the award himself.

BTW: Has anyone seen this little interview here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jgMldMkzPo

I love how sincere he is in his answers and how he never stops speaking out for others. And him gently telling off his slightly overenthusiastic fans just had me melting.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 9, 2015 3:49 pm  #93

Oooh, thanks for the link, I can´t wait to watch it!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 9, 2015 4:01 pm  #94

Such intelligent, lovely, and generous answers. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 9, 2015 4:11 pm  #95

JenHart wrote:

I prefer Benedict's version of Hawking. But then I think Redmayne is overrated as an actor.

To be fair, I read some reviews who said that only Redmayne's great performance makes that mediocre film worth being watched.

Last edited by Harriet (February 9, 2015 4:22 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 9, 2015 4:39 pm  #96

February 9, 2015 5:59 pm  #97

The OSCARS will be so boring,

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 9, 2015 6:13 pm  #98

What a lovely interview, thank you for posting!!

Amazing how he can concentrate with people screaming like that... bless! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 9, 2015 6:28 pm  #99

That is a very nice interview, thank you for posting it, Lola Red!

I also liked this from BAFTA's Twitter feed:

.@stephenfry on Benedict Cumberbatch's name...#EEBAFTAs

Last edited by REReader (February 9, 2015 6:29 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 9, 2015 6:34 pm  #100

Harriet wrote:

JenHart wrote:

To be fair, I read some reviews who said that only Redmayne's great performance makes that mediocre film worth being watched.

And I would agree with that statement. Eddie did a wonderful job, there's no denying that. And I think it's not easy, even if you would think it is, to compare his Hawking with Benedict's, just because Eddie's Hawking goes much further than Benedict's. I love Benedict as Hawking very, very much, but I couldn't say which one of the two is 'better'. They are different. As a film though, I like "Hawking" much better.
And I have no idea about Eddie being overrated as an actor... so far I've heard next to nothing about him and his acting. I knew him before TTOE, but I couldn't say that I heard people constantly praise his acting.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera