BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 7, 2015 1:23 pm  #21

Re: Broadchurch (Spoilers!)

Don't you worry, I don't ship them like Johnlock, either. And I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I never will.
Because I think at this point what they both need more than anything else is just someone to give them a big hug. Constantly. Preferably once a day. Or even more often. So they should just hug each other constantly. And I know that's romantic nonsense, bit it's how I feel.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 7, 2015 1:26 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 7, 2015 3:12 pm  #22

Another guess of mine ... could it be that Hardy doesn't want to use the first names because he is afraid of an emotional relationship? And I don't mean a love affair. That he thinks with family names he can keep the distance?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2015 3:25 pm  #23

I'm sure that's at least part of the reason. It's interesting though that in S1 he says that he doesn't like his own name - Alec - and gives kind of a bizarre reason for it. And now in the first episode of S2 Claire calls him Alec and he doesn't seem to mind. What's going on between those two anyway?
I also find the moment when he stopped calling Ellie 'Miller' and called her 'Ellie' for the first time interesting. That was a moment when she was in huge emotional distress - and he reached out to her by calling her Ellie. And she immediately realised that something was wrong because he called her by her first name for the first time.
Now she still calls him 'Sir' although he says that she doesn't have to anymore. It'll be interesting to see how this develops... will they end up calling each other by their first names at the end of the S2...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 7, 2015 3:37 pm  #24

Do you think him and Claire used to have.... something?

Yes, with using Ellie he really tried to get nearer. Maybe they come to the point using the first names even earlier. I am really looking forward to this moment.

Last edited by gently69 (January 7, 2015 3:39 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2015 3:50 pm  #25

I'm not sure about him and Claire, it's probably too early. But this is definitely more than just 'witness protection'.

The way they look at each other, the way he touched her shoulder, the way she says "I needed you, Alec"... hm, I dunno... Then again, maybe the Sandbrook case has just brought them close without bringing them that close.
Question also is: Is Alec right about Claire's husband being the Sandbrook killer? We know the case fell apart and why (more or less), we know that Claire hadn't been with her husband that night. But was he really the killer? And why is he coming after her now? Or is he coming after Alec? Wouldn't it be safer for him to stay away, especially if he is the killer? With new evidence there could surely be another trial...?

January 7, 2015 4:03 pm  #26

Yeah, many questions ...

Maybe Claire is also one reason, that Alec and his wife splitted. Not only the Sandbrook case itself, also an affair that had developed because of this?

(Tony Hadley)

January 7, 2015 4:21 pm  #27

gently69 wrote:

Yeah, many questions ...

Maybe Claire is also one reason, that Alec and his wife splitted. Not only the Sandbrook case itself, also an affair that had developed because of this?

I actually hope it won't be anything like this. Don't get me wrong, but in my opinion this would fall below the writing level we saw in the show so far. Maybe Alec had indeed problems with his wife because of Claire - but let's not forget that his wife was also having an affair. So his wife and Alec himself both having an affair - a bit too much for my taste.
But: at the very end of the first episode of S2 we saw not only Claire's husband sitting on the patio, totally relaxed, but Claire with him. And she seemed pretty relaxed, too. So... what if there is more to her involvement in the Sandbrook case than we think? And Alec thinks?

I'm really afraid for Alec, by the way. I think that S2 will be very tough for him. In S1 it was Ellie who underwent a trauma, Alec still had to deal with his Sandbrook trauma. I'm afraid now it's his turn again to undergo another trauma... Joe's defense seems mainly interested in Alec's involvement with Joe... I'm sure they'll try to prove that Alec made mistakes and that he maybe even influenced Joe into confessing. Makes me cry even only thinking about the consequences this will have on grumpy cat...

January 21, 2015 10:38 am  #28

Okay, I'll just talk to myself here for a bit, because this show is still ripping my heart out. Although the second episode of Series 2 was a bit disappointing and in my opinion the weakest episode of the show so far, episode 3 really convinced me again of the quality of the show. Apart from the fact that we finally, finally, finally saw Alec wearing a t-shirt (shallow, yes), (ALEC WEARING A T-SHIRT...!!!!)...

...I absolutely love how they keep coming back to Series 1. It seems that none of the things that happened there are 'safe'. Almost everything gets twisted around, I mean... hello...??? Ellie and Alec having an affair? It makes total sense for the defense to use this (or better: to make this up) in court, because hell yes, if you really wanted to, you could believe that something actually happened that night in the hotel. And Olivia Colman doesn't cease to amaze me, her acting is impeccable and so, so deserving of every single award there is for an actress in a tv series. I had never heard of her before "Broadchurch", and she totally blows my mind. I absolutely love her. And I love the chemistry between her and David. Even when they are seperated by a whole court room... you can just feel it. I had goosebumps during those last ten minutes, Ellie trying to make head or tails of those questions, Alec being all nervous there on his chair... just fantastic.

And right now it feels as if this one paper was right: He is the worst cop in Britain. It seems as if he didn't get Sandbrook right after all, and it also seems that he made some horrible mistakes in S1. It all seems to backfire on him... Can someone please hold him? Preferably Ellie? 

January 21, 2015 10:49 am  #29

I see, I have to watch ep. 2 and 3 asap. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 21, 2015 10:52 am  #30

Yes. Definitely. Alec wearing a t-shirt and all that. 

January 21, 2015 11:00 am  #31

January 21, 2015 11:14 am  #32

Oh, Solar, please, I'm at work!

Yes, I absolutely think the same concerning ep. 2, that it was the weakest of the show so far.
And yes, ep. 3 was brilliant again. As you mentioned before, Solar, the actress who's playing Joe's solicitor, is that good that you just have to hate her.

And here: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-19/broadchurch-series-two-the-theories
Several theories which came into my mind as well.

(Tony Hadley)

January 21, 2015 11:24 am  #33

Well, don't complain, just don't go to the forum while you're at work... 

Yes, the actress is Marianne Jean-Baptiste and she is really good. You just love to hate her. She is making me sooo aggressive, I could just... punch her in the face the whole time. 

And I might be wrong - and I probably am - but I think she wanted Jocelyn to do something for her son. And Jocelyn didn't. And now Sharon is pissed. And this will probably be an extra motivation for Sharon to win this case.

January 21, 2015 11:26 am  #34

January 21, 2015 11:32 am  #35

I just HAVE to ...

And to your spoiler ... that's an idea I didn't had before but yeah, quite possible.

(Tony Hadley)

January 21, 2015 11:39 am  #36

gently69 wrote:

And to your spoiler ... that's an idea I didn't had before but yeah, quite possible.

Well, there was that scene with them on the beach in the first episode where Jocelyn tells Sharon that she is taking over the case. And Sharon is totally surprised and then says something along the lines of "So you're doing it for them [the Latimers], but you didn't do it for..." - and then she doesn't finish the sentence. I'm sure she was about to say "us/me/my son".

January 21, 2015 11:52 am  #37

Solar, good point. That could work.

(Tony Hadley)

January 21, 2015 12:00 pm  #38

Yes, I think so. And anyway, they do have a history together, they worked together. There is something going on between them we probably don't know anything about yet.

January 21, 2015 9:42 pm  #39

Soo, I managed to watch all three episodes. I really like series 2 but not as much as series 1. Why? Just some points (without spoiler tags because there is a warning in the title of the thread and I am too lazy ).

- Series 1 completely focussed on the investigation into Danny's death. All personal background stories were somehow integrated into the narrative or necessary to create the right atmosphere. To me series 2 feels a bit scattered - there is the trial but also the Sandbrook backstory and the two female barristers who seem to have issues with each other. Bit much going on at the same time. 

- Series 1 seemed more credible. IMO Alec hiding Claire and being constantly threatened by her husband is interesting but slightly overdone. 

- I have a serious problem with Sharon's character. Too clichéd in my opinion. So far I do not understand her callous behaviour towards Ellie, Alec, and the Latimers - pure ambition? Unsolved issues with Jocelyn (who I like very much as a character and Charlotte Rampling is great). Why is she so keen on defending a man who killed a child and confessed to the murder? 

- And one last point: I do not like the secret meetings between Mark and Tom. Maybe they are meant to somehow reflect the relationship between Joe and Danny but they leave a bad taste in my mouth. Basically Mark does the same thing Joe did. Using a child as a confessor, a sort of psychological or emotional crutch. I think this is actually the part I dislike most. Maybe there is a purpose to it but for know I do not like it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 22, 2015 8:40 am  #40

Welcome to the Former Detectives Club, Susi!  (Not enough fangirling yet, my dear, but you probably haven't seen the light yet...) 

I actually do agree with you on some of the points you've made. Especially the problem with the different structure in S2. I also feel that there is the danger of losing some of the tension we had practically at all times during S1. Now we have the Sandbrook case and the Latimer case, and both cases are only connected through Alec, at least up until now. It's a bit like jumping from one story to the other at times, and I hope they'll bring both stories closer together at one point - although I have no idea how.

Sharon: I don't like her at all, like I already mentioned, but for now I'll just wait and see. I'm sure there is more background story to her, and we will get it. There has to be an explanation for her aggressive behaviour, and I'm pretty sure there is one. She has a history with Jocelyn, there is something going on with her son... I hope it'll all make sense in the end.

Mark and Tom: At this point this doesn't bother me, I have to admit. Simply because I have no idea what's going on exactly. Mark seems to be with Tom quite often, at least judging by the fact that Beth very often tries to call him in vain. I don't know where this story will be going, but right now it would make sense to me if Mark used Tom as some kind of substitute for Danny. Which certainly isn't very healthy, but somehow understandable. And also, maybe Tom is using Mark as a substitute for his father...? (I have to add though that I don't have children, maybe a mother or father has completely different feelings about this.)

By the way: I don't like Claire very much. She definitely is hiding something, but whatever that may be... right now I don't like her. And I don't like the fact that she is around Ellie so much. She isn't good for Ellie, that's my feeling.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 22, 2015 8:41 am)

Board footera