BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2014 12:17 am  #1

New to Sherlock Fandom

Hi everyone, my name is Jen. I'm 22 years old and attending my last semester at university. When I graduate I will have completed a Bachelors degree in Anthropology. I recently watched all the episodes of Sherlock, and I actually really enjoyed them. I didn't start watching Sherlock because I really wanted to watch it, I started watching it for a class project, but I ended up really liking it. Which is good, because I haven't finished my project yet.

What is this project, you may ask. I'm doing an ethnographic research project, for my Ethnographic Field Methods class, on internet fan communities, how they differ from actual physical communities, how they're similar, etc. I decided on the BBC Sherlock community because it was something that I hadn't yet seen, and because I read the Sherlock Holmes stories when I was younger. Also it has a very large and active fandom.

Fandom is nothing new to me, I've been involved in various fandoms since I was about 13 and we still had AOL dial-up. For anyone out there too young to remember that, I once waited three hours for a four minute video to load on youtube. So, I'm here not only as a fan but as a young academic trying to navigate a fan community. if you have any questions or concerns comment below or pm me, or even if you just want to say hi. I'm hoping to be on daily. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions. Mostly I'm just here to have fun and meet awesome people. 

October 3, 2014 8:28 am  #2

Re: New to Sherlock Fandom

Hi, welcome here, Jen!  I hope you will get along fine! 

Last edited by Harriet (October 3, 2014 8:32 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 3, 2014 7:49 pm  #3

Hello and welcome to the forum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 3, 2014 9:49 pm  #4

Welcome. I hope you will get on with your project and have fun as well. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 4, 2014 4:08 am  #5

Welcome Jen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 4, 2014 6:12 pm  #6

Welcome and have a great time here! 

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

October 10, 2014 6:13 am  #7

Sounds like an interesting project. I'm glad that you enjoyed Sherlock though and that it's more than just work to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 10, 2014 11:25 am  #8

Probably you've seen this here already - if not, it might be of some interest for you:
http://multifandom-madnesss.tumblr.com/tagged/sherlock+fandom+survey+results

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 14, 2014 8:46 am  #9

Welcome to the forum!

October 27, 2014 8:33 pm  #10

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I've been out of town for a few weeks for various reasons. Happy to be back now. While I was gone though I did get the opportunity to read "A Study in Scarlet" on a five hour flight from New York to California. 

Harriet, I actually have not seen that. Thank you for providing me with the link, I'll have to ask my prof whether he'll let me incorporate the results, I'll have to look more into the methodology of data collection and interpretation, but if nothing else it will help point me in the direction of what people are thinking, and what is most important to fans of the show (as far as the show itself is concerned). I'm planing on conducting some survey/interview type things to anyone that is interested, but I still have to decide if I'm going to do a flat out survey or if I'm going to have conversations through the messaging system. It really depends on if I'm looking for more qualitative or quantitative data.  

October 27, 2014 9:01 pm  #11

Hope it helps to some extent. I don't envy you for these decisions to make - I'm glad to be in here just for the fun 

October 27, 2014 9:43 pm  #12

Hi Jen, new to this so please bear with me, Jackie x

Board footera