BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2014 2:46 pm  #81

Re: "Benaddicted" vs "Sherlocked"?

Haha I remember the times when I was about 6 years old and obsessed of the Kelly Family... Also buying all magazines and cutting the articles from that and collecting...
Oh the old times...
Yesterday I saw a video, where kids (some even 13 years old) were given a walkman and were absolutely clueless, what to do with that... oh I feel old now!
Maybe worth a new thread? The good old times?

You’ve salted away every fact under the sun!

April 16, 2014 2:51 pm  #82

I loved to keep scrapbooks of pictures and articles.  Still have some of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2014 3:02 pm  #83

I still have my old scrapbooks too. Memories I don't want to miss. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 16, 2014 3:05 pm  #84

I was listening to an old TKKG episode the other day, and I really had to smile when Tarzan went, "I need to go over to the neighbour's house to make a phone call," and then you could hear the telephone dial clicking sound. I thought, wow, today's kids wouldn't even recognize that sound... I mean, how did we even manage to organize ourselves without intenet and mobile phones?!

May 11, 2014 1:17 am  #85

It's funny, but my obsessions with Sherlock and Benedict are separate and don't come from each other.

I actually forget sometimes that Benedict plays Sherlock because the two sound and look so different. There are some scenes (like most of the speech in TSOT where Sherlock is white as a ghost and his eyes are so pale) where if it weren't for the mole on the throat and the Cupid's bow, I would swear that some other dude was playing him.

I was watching Many Happy Returns the other day and was surprised when Sherlock first speaks in the DVD before we see him because I can actually hear Benedict. I think he raises the pitch in his voice or otherwise changes it for Sherlock.

Mary

John: That's clever. So you scratch their backs and...
Sherlock: Yes. And then disinfect myself.

May 11, 2014 10:20 am  #86

Interesting question, I've never asked myself that!
I'm usually intrigued by characters, or songs, not by the actors or singers. With Sherlock it's the same - it's definitely the character that fascinated me. I appreciate the way how actors present a character, it's hard to seperate that... but for me it's mainly about the character and the story. I'm grateful Benedict created such a wonderful Sherlock!
Yet, Sherlock is the first series/film ever where I know most actors names and have an idea about what other works they are doing. I've never before bought a film just because of an actor, but now with films of Sherlock actors, I sometimes do. But then again, I also follow the work and doings of the other people involved with the show...
So I'm rather Sherlocked, not so much Benaddicted :D Maybe it's also because my interested isn't so much focused on Benedict alone... if I ever met anyone linked to the series, I wouldn't mind who it was... probably I'd even be more interested in the set design or the soundtrack writing than in talking to Benedict

Last edited by Whisky (May 11, 2014 10:31 am)

"It is what it is."

June 15, 2014 5:01 pm  #87

tonnaree wrote:

I am Sherlocked
I am BenAddicted
I am completely and utterly Cumberbatched.

This sums up my current state quite nicely.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

June 20, 2014 1:09 pm  #88

Definitely more Sherlocked than Benaddicted. 

June 20, 2014 2:06 pm  #89

At the beginning i was definitely more Sherlocked- but my addiction to Ben grows from day to day
Nevertheless i think, he is absolutely perfect playing Sherlock!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------               

-------> I am
SHER - LOCKED <-------

August 5, 2014 11:08 pm  #90

I am definately both sherlocked and benaddicted. First I started watching Sherlock more and more and instantly became obsessed with it and the acting talent Ben portrays through his character. Within a week or so, I began to be intruiged by his beautiful face :D This was when I researched him more and became strongly Benaddicted/Sherlocked. I think we can all agree that it is understandable why!! :D 

Also, I'm just interested but who of you became Benaddicted before Sherlocked and vice versa? 

**************************************************************************************************************************
Official Johnlock Supporter :D
"We're not gay!"   

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains must be the truth.

John:  That was ridiculous.That was the most ridiculous thing I've ever done.
Sherlock: You invaded Afghanistan.
John: That wasn't just me!

August 6, 2014 6:31 am  #91

I've been catching up on this thread: interesting that some of you remember the pre-internet days of fandoms (yes, I remember sending off postal orders and getting photocopied newsletters back through the post).  Even when I got on the internet in the late '90s, I don't think there was any youtube.  We used to copy video tapes and send them to each other.  (At the time, the actor I liked wasn't particularly well-known so some of his work was difficult to get hold of). 

I'm another older fan, but with a twist!  My gorgeous real life boyfriend is actually slightly younger than Benedict, whereas I'm closer to Rupert Graves in age (there, I didn't have to say our actual ages.   But it's quite a gap).  So whenever it feels weird to have a crush on somebody so much younger, I have to remind myself that it isn't weird in real life! 

I'd watched Benedict on screen before Sherlock (first of all, as Hawking), but there was no massive obsession.  I thought he was great and loved his voice, but it was his portrayal of Sherlock that got me hooked.  I'm both Sherlocked and Benaddicted, but in different ways. I think real life Benedict is absolutely delightful, sexy and gorgeous, but I don't think I would fantasize about him.  I would fantasize about the characters he plays, though, particularly Sherlock.  It's not just the looks and the voice, it's something about the character.  Yes, his intellect is sexy, and I think he's become rather heroic as the series goes on (also sexy), but I think the final trigger for me is all the combination of control and deliberately repressed emotion that we get glimpses off.   Repression is so sexy (except in actual real life!). 

Last edited by Liberty (August 6, 2014 6:33 am)

August 6, 2014 11:24 am  #92

Ever since I went from being Sherlocked to being Benaddicted as well I've had a feeling that I had seen him somewhere before... or at least I was supposed to know him from something else. 

I has driven me nuts trying to find it... but it's been fun too, watching as much of his stuff as possible... Usually I've been exposed to my idols once before and have thought 'wow' before seeing them later and falling completely... 

I FOUND IT!! I had actually accepted that maybe Sherlock was the first thing I saw, starting January this year... But nope! I was watching the Stephen Hawking's 'Grand Design' domentary series that Benedict voiced... guess what? I saw that some years ago and got really addicted to that incredibly, beautiful voice and accent. But I never looked into who it belonged to... but I was in love with the voice none the less!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 6, 2014 11:41 am  #93

For me, Sherlock was the gateway drug. Started watching and got and remain completely Sherlocked. The intellect, the humor, the childishness, the hair, the clothes, the grace.

Then, the deeper I went, the more be Benaddicted I became. I watched the interviews and sought out his other work. Such a beautiful, smart, decent man!  And, my god, the talent!

I am now completely lost....

August 6, 2014 12:06 pm  #94

All  you have to do is type an S on your phone and the first thing auto-fill suggests is "Sherlock."
Also, if I type John, the first suggestion is Watson.  

Last edited by tonnaree (August 6, 2014 12:08 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 6, 2014 7:11 pm  #95

When I type "John", my mobile's auto-fill suggests "Wayne". As I never wrote "John Wayne" in any chat, post or mail, I really wonder now what my mobile is watching on youtube while I am sleeping.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 26, 2014 2:45 pm  #96

Sherlockismyfix wrote:

For me, Sherlock was the gateway drug. Started watching and got and remain completely Sherlocked. The intellect, the humor, the childishness, the hair, the clothes, the grace.

Then, the deeper I went, the more Benaddicted I became. I watched the interviews and sought out his other work. Such a beautiful, smart, decent man! And, my god, the talent!

I am now completely lost....

I can absolutely second that.

I don't consider myself completely lost though. Not yet. But who knows what time will bring.

You get so alone at times that it just makes sense.

(Charles Bukowski)

January 4, 2015 8:24 pm  #97

I am both, but probably Sherlocked the most. Probably.

Last edited by Vhanja (January 4, 2015 8:24 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 8, 2015 10:59 pm  #98

I supposed I started out as being "Sherlocked" (although I first saw him in Star Trek into Darkness and The Fifth Estate and loved what he did in both of them).  But once I saw Sherlock I was completely smitten with him (and the role he plays). 

Now I have to say that I am definitely "Benaddicted".  After watching Sherlock I just want to see him in anything and everything he has done.  I couldn't get enough of watching BC flex his acting muscles in various projects.  I think after seeing Sherlock I realised what a versatile actor he was (and seeing more of his work gave me more tangible evidence of his accomplished skill).  

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 9, 2015 9:24 am  #99

Both...just Benaddicted and Sherlocked

L♥ve, l♥ve, l♥ve this series so much!!!

"Not all those who wander are lost."  Riddle of Strider, J.R.R. Tolkien

January 9, 2015 10:27 am  #100

Mostly Sherlocked.

Board footera